Power Needed to Drag a Trailer Through the Backcountry

Cortttt

Your main problem with the current 2wd van is lack of power when off road at slow speeds? I would think going to a proper 4wd with a two speed transfer case would make a world of difference.
That's the thing. Since I've never had 4wd on this vehicle I have no idea how much of a difference it would make.

Cortttt

The 6.0 is a reliable engine I've heard, but thirsty.
A transfer case with low range would help tons compared to what you have now, and can always put steeper gearing in the van to help
Is there a forum for like landscaper or contractors who might be towing with 2500 6.9 vans you get get some highway experience from? It's not apples to apples but if guys are saying the van is tapped out towing 6k on the road it gives you an idea off the road
That engine IS thirsty - thanks for the idea.

Cortttt

My mistake, I was assuming pre-owned. If it’s a new 21, would it not come with the 10 speed or at least the 8? I thought the 6l80 was phased out when the LT platform replaced the LS.
You would think but not in these vans. They're sticking with the 6spd which is actually fine with me given I've had the 6spd; it works great and I've heard about issues with the 8spd. Same with the HD's; the gas engine comes with the 6-spd; the diesel with the 10.

Cortttt

Basecamp is built and sold for posers. High end but kind a useless design and from the undercarriage I've seen it is like every other Airstream, built for the Interstate and priced to rape those buying one. For me even the design is not well thought out.
I was wondering about the undercarriage particularly since they don't say anything about it. Thanks.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Unfortunately, the Airstream is like every other US built RV, built with small sticks and staples, on a frame that meets the minimal engineering for smooth road driving. Airstream does make a very nice version of it and they do it better than most. But barely a dirt road camper.

tatanka48

i will admit to skimming this thread butt i did it frum the beginning and i do not remember the mention of LOOSING TRACTION

what sticks in my mind is the RUNNING OUT OF GRUNT where the wheels would simply not turn under load on an incline

IF this is the actual case ... 4x4 is not a needed element in your quest

may be WANTED butt NOT NEEDED

uness you plan on foul weather/poor traction adventures on your horizon

towing capacities are measured on flat n level and smooth

for steep and ruff terrain(my reading told me "gravel roads") you need to factor the factory specs way down ... most likely to 1/2 or less

MPG's and POWER are not normally found in the same sentence

UNLESS you goto some innovative aftermarket gearing like a 2-speed rear end or transfer case

you did mention that altitude is not a factor so the turbo/super charger might not be necessary for air supply

since you are requiring a van you are looking at changing out the factory rear end gearing to provide the grunt you seek

as mentioned above you will likely need gears in the 3.7's - 4.11 range as a minimum

and with those gears MPG's go out the window in most affordable situations

hooking a trailer to any non commercial vehicle will put your MPG's in the crapper and reduce your ability to climb grades

it is time to decide whether MPG's or TOWING is your prime quest

you get to pick one butt not both without adding some innovative gearing system

since i haven't personally priced the after market gearing options i can't say for sure butt i'd bet you could buy a lot of extra fuel for the price of upgrading a gearing system

many will not agree w/ my points ... until they've spent the money and gone the miles chasing the elusive fuel economy dream

since the late 90's vehicles are not uncommonly running 1/4 - 1/2 a million + miles w/ good maintenance practices

today's vehicle quests IMHO should factor in the projected life of the vehicle being sought as much if not more than MPG's

just this old curmudgeon's 2¢ worth this morning

"T"

bshinn

i will admit to skimming this thread butt i did it frum the beginning and i do not remember the mention of LOOSING TRACTION

what sticks in my mind is the RUNNING OUT OF GRUNT where the wheels would simply not turn under load on an incline

for steep and ruff terrain(my reading told me "gravel roads") you need to factor the factory specs way down ... most likely to 1/2 or less

UNLESS you goto some innovative aftermarket gearing like a 2-speed rear end or transfer case

you did mention that altitude is not a factor so the turbo/super charger might not be necessary for air supply

since you are requiring a van you are looking at changing out the factory rear end gearing to provide the grunt you seek

as mentioned above you will likely need gears in the 3.7's - 4.11 range as a minimum

hooking a trailer to any non commercial vehicle will put your MPG's in the crapper and reduce your ability to climb grades

since i haven't personally priced the after market gearing options i can't say for sure butt i'd bet you could buy a lot of extra fuel for the price of upgrading a gearing system

many will not agree w/ my points ... until they've spent the money and gone the miles chasing the elusive fuel economy dream

since the late 90's vehicles are not uncommonly running 1/4 - 1/2 a million + miles w/ good maintenance practices

today's vehicle quests IMHO should factor in the projected life of the vehicle being sought as much if not more than MPG's

"T"
4WD May not be “needed”, but what it gives you is a torque multiplier (low range). By having 4WD he can run taller gearing for hwy use and still be able to grunt through off road situations by shifting into low range.

If you’re dragging trailers with Van’s on or off road and looking for fuel mileage………………..I don’t know what I can say.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
How many miles did you end up putting on that truck?
It was something like 177,000 miles.
I towed my giant travel trailer to Colorado and back with that. The transmission temps never went over 180f, even when I was driving into a 25 mph headwind and was reving at ~4000rpm to maintain the speed limit FOR SIX HOURS STRAIGHT!

I had an o2 sensor go bad which threw it into limp mode once and I started getting an intermittent CEL for a bad cat converter. Other than that I think it just needed brakes once.

Cortttt

"T"

Thanks T. MPG is desirable; adequate towing through the backcountry is the highest priority. The MPG hit is already baked in; limiting it to the extent I can - if I can - is desireable. Thanks for the insight into "pooping out" problem. I think I will get this van 4wd equipped and see how it does and then, if necessary regear, given the expense. I'm not sure right now if I'm going to lift. The bottom of the present van has been whacked quite a few time and I have to change the transmission pan and the differential cover - not sure, though, if I'm going to do the lift...

Cortttt

4WD May not be “needed”, but what it gives you is a torque multiplier (low range). By having 4WD he can run taller gearing for hwy use and still be able to grunt through off road situations by shifting into low range.

If you’re dragging trailers with Van’s on or off road and looking for fuel mileage………………..I don’t know what I can say.
Thanks, I will try it without regearing first and then move onto that if necessary. Not looking for good mpg - looking for any way to make a bad situation better. Except for not lifting it, I honestly can't think of one, though. It will have solar panels on top - that won't help but the present van and 200K and loaded up with solar panels and cargo boxes can still do 16-17 mpg on the highway. :) It's been a great van!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears