Power pak charging system...help needed.

codename607

Adventurer
So I've decided to build a portable power pak instead of adding a dual battery system. Up until now I had everything all figured out but recently I've discovered that I would like the option of charging the pak while I'm driving down the road.

Since I have no idea what I'm doing I did do some research here and on a few other forums. Please bare with me as I am a complete idiot when it comes to this type of stuff.

After reading a few threads on here I see people mentioning the Easy Quick Jump Starter. Judging by the picture of this item I'm assuming it plugs into the cigarette lighter and the other end goes into an accessory cigarette lighter on the power pak. Is this correct?

Also, is there anything else that I could buy to charge the power pak? Keeping in mind that I want to use my vehicle cigarette lighter.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
You are asking for problems by limiting yourself to the ciggy plug for recharging.

A depleted powerpak will hungrily ask for everything and more than the wiring can provide. The ciggy plug fuse will blow, and fuses get expensive. Even if the fuse does not blow, recharging will be so slow as to be nearly ineffective.

If you insist on using a ciggy plug, get a quality ciggy plug and wire it directly to the engine battery, fused at the engine battery, with 10 awg wire.

The shorter the wire run and the fatter the wire, the faster the recharging will take place, at least until the powerpack is in the 80%+ range state of charge

madmax718

Explorer
Depends.. how quickly did you want to charge? Most jump packs top out at about 500ma for a recharge- and most outlets top off at around 120 watts (or 9-10 amps). You could rig up an unregulated charger for about 5 amps (60 watts). Those easy quick jump starters are great for jump starting, charge a cell phone, etc. But if its for something like a cpap, it may not be enough.

codename607

Adventurer
Thanks guys for the feedback.

I do plan on charging the powerpak at home with a proper battery charger but in the event that I need a charge I want to have the ability.

You guys have any recommendation on 12vt chargers? I really like how the Arkpak has this feature and I may ultimately purchase one...just can't justify the funds right now.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I'm addressing a similar problem with a tow-vehicle to trailer battery charging set-up. I am running a pair of jumper-cables (clamps cut off and requisite connectors attached) from my TV battery to the rear of the vehicle. I will run it through an isolator (http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm) so it will only charge when the ignition is on and I have turned it on (dash switch on the remote wire for the isolator). I'm going to use Anderson connectors to connect the trailer and TV.

I hope this helps?

Last edited:

madmax718

Explorer
my jump pack can be recharged by cigarette lighter. But Im one cable short of using the goal zero guardian + cig charger (30 watt max charging ability).

codename607

Adventurer
I'm addressing a similar problem with a tow-vehicle to trailer battery charging set-up. I am running a pair of jumper-cables (clamps cut off and requisite connectors attached) from my TV battery to the rear of the vehicle. I will run it through an isolator (http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm) so it will only charge when the ignition is on and I have turned it on (dash switch on the remote wire for the isolator). I'm going to use Anderson connectors to connect the trailer and TV.

I hope this helps?

Yes this is helpful. Thanks for the info.

my jump pack can be recharged by cigarette lighter. But Im one cable short of using the goal zero guardian + cig charger (30 watt max charging ability).

What device are you using to recharge the jump pack? And is your jump pack similar to a DIY system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears