Power Wagon Sleeping Platform

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
This is my take on a sleeping platform for a truck bed. I bought my 2006 Power Wagon in May of 2017, and for the summer ran with a full length platform with an queen sized air mat on top. It worked but based on that configuration I came up with some things I would change.

24356cd864bee56e44a642f90909efb7.jpg

Design goals:
-Maximize head room. Keep it as low to the wheel wells as possible. Ditch the air mat for a foam mat
-Easily removable. The best feature of the Power Wagon is the versatility. Hauling hay and horses, 4 wheelers, camping, etc.
-Have the ability to use a foot well. Great for sitting up, changing clothes, storing shoes.
-Modular. Full platform for sleeping, partial platform for when pulling the camper.
-Full width of the bed platform

I went back and forth on a drawer, there are some really nice products out there, but keeping it low and having the foot well part of the time and full width other times was a no go. So storage tubs and hatches it is.

92c37012c835c35b329b48964a4fd8c0.jpg

0875bda586b76fa906c566e4d7287d53.jpg

644a80677aa406f41155b082b4fa4884.jpg

974a56a46ec0d3c88b8c71753cbef728.jpg

The panels at the tailgate side are on lift off hinges, so the panels slide out when in the up position. Bolted connections in the framework utilize tee nuts for quick installs.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Looks to be quite versatile and depending on the thickness of the pad actually very comfortable as a sleeping platform. Great job. Do you intend to have something to black out or curtain off the windows?
I had a low platform in my Pinzgauer and used plastic milk crates that I cut down for storage of camping items, worked well.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Looks to be quite versatile and depending on the thickness of the pad actually very comfortable as a sleeping platform. Great job. Do you intend to have something to black out or curtain off the windows?
I had a low platform in my Pinzgauer and used plastic milk crates that I cut down for storage of camping items, worked well.

Thank you! The mattress is 3.5" thick tri-fold and I found it to be quite comfortable for my tastes. I hadn't thought about curtains, the windows are fairly tinted and we are generally pretty early risers. We will be mostly doing backcountry camping so privacy isn't a big issue, but I could see it being nice for some extra privacy when stealth camping in urban areas. I may have to look into that.

For storage tubs, I took measurements and went to Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight and in the end found a 'Hefty Brand' under bed storage tub with the best dimensions for my set up at Walmart. But there really is no reason there has to be lid for most of the items so the cut down milk crate is a fantastic idea!

hefty tub.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
The storage tubs work well and are sourced in various sizes. Sometimes the milk crates can be gotten for very little in cost, mine were free as a friend had a job cleaning out storage lockers and he had about 900 of them. Cut them with a hand saw. I cut thin wall plastic material (real estate signs are made of this stuff) for the bottoms to keep small items from migrating through. No lids either!
My curtains were old dark bed sheets (from thrift store) cut and sewn to fit and held up with thin bungie cord, removable and washable. Some trails are dusty.
Happy trails

HecklerJK

Your son’s smile says it all... love the simplicity, flexibility and quality of what you built. Appreciate you taking the time to share it with us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Your son’s smile says it all... love the simplicity, flexibility and quality of what you built. Appreciate you taking the time to share it with us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh man, my boys love it! Thanks for the kind words. I have been thinking about different configurations for a while now, steel framework, bearings, drawer slides, slide out sections, but sometimes simplicity is king. It makes it very nice for hauling day to day items like gas cans, i can take out a section of the platform and it keeps the can at floor level and also helps keep it from sliding around.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Very nice design! Well executed. Love the shot of the boy at the end of the video. His smile says it all. Great Job.

DirtRoads

Observer
Bumping it up. I am headed down this road in a 16 power wagon. I built a platform for my OBS F350 that was good but I learned a lot. When I came across your build, it is more the direction I want to go this time. Any updates, changes, or pictures to share?

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Bumping it up. I am headed down this road in a 16 power wagon. I built a platform for my OBS F350 that was good but I learned a lot. When I came across your build, it is more the direction I want to go this time. Any updates, changes, or pictures to share?

Thanks for the bump! Nothing to report for changes. Just been using it as intended. It has held up well over the past year. My favorite feature is the modularity. I routinely take out the rear panels and stash them in the garage, but the front panels have stayed in most of the time. A couple days ago we did some desert camping and it was pretty chilly at night but we were nice and cozy in the back.

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
And one more pic from last fall. I put a short video together of that trip and there is a brief interior shot with all of the bedding in there.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
How did you mount your heater on the topper? I have a mr buddy and have been looking at a good way to mount it.

I have two of the topper clamps a couple inches apart, and then I run a Voile strap behind the clamps and around the propane bottle of the heater. I store the heater in travel mode. I like the Voile straps because you can really cinch them down tight and the rubber holds it in place well

Explorerinil

Observer
I have two of the topper clamps a couple inches apart, and then I run a Voile strap behind the clamps and around the propane bottle of the heater. I store the heater in travel mode. I like the Voile straps because you can really cinch them down tight and the rubber holds it in place well
Thanks for the response, I’ll have to look for some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears