Power Wagon vs F250 Tremor

phsycle

Adventurer
I've always been a GM guy but am now driving a Ford....

When it's due to be replaced in a few years, I have no clue what I'll end up with. I like the features of the 2021 F150's but not crazy about the looks of the redesign.

I like the looks of the new Rams. Inside and out. Kinda curious to see what the new Tundras will be like as well. Only one not really on my radar to check out are Titans.

For now, I feel Ford offers the best 1/2 ton platform. Main reason is the ability to mix and match various features (ie locker, rear end ratio, engine choice, etc). Tundra is dead last in my opinion, but if they come up with a nice plug-in hybrid, I could be swayed.

Grassland

Man it's like $4.50 a gallon for 91 octane here I can't imagine what 93 would be.
You Americans are spoiled!
Only reason I can afford to run 91 octane in my truck is I put on 6-8k KM a year only now that it's out of fleet.
Since I get 15 l/100 in town on "34s" and like 17-18 l/100 towing a light trailer, I keep thinking about an F250/2500. Like if I'm going to suck gas and go slow I might as well have a commercial grade truck I can drive for 10+ years.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
For now, I feel Ford offers the best 1/2 ton platform. Main reason is the ability to mix and match various features (ie locker, rear end ratio, engine choice, etc). Tundra is dead last in my opinion, but if they come up with a nice plug-in hybrid, I could be swayed.
Agreed on the Tundra right now. I'm curious to see what the redesigned Tundra looks like when it comes out.

phsycle

Adventurer
Man it's like $4.50 a gallon for 91 octane here I can't imagine what 93 would be.
You Americans are spoiled!

But isn’t that like 35 cents ‘Merican? And why do you need gas for dog sleds anyway?

:p

But I’ll trade you our dofus pres for 35 cents and a dog sled.

when he signed on all the spots....... Trudeau holding it in like a champ.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Guys talking about buying a $60k truck bickering about spending another $0.20/gallon for fuel or being forced to rummage up "rare" oil every 8000 miles. This is hilarious.

If this is all you have to complain about we are in the golden era of 4wd HD trucks for sure. Go drive them both and buy the one that makes you smile the most. The rest doesn't really matter.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Guys talking about buying a $60k truck bickering about spending another $0.20/gallon for fuel or being forced to rummage up "rare" oil every 8000 miles. This is hilarious.

If this is all you have to complain about we are in the golden era of 4wd HD trucks for sure. Go drive them both and buy the one that makes you smile the most. The rest doesn't really matter.
Very true. Gas mileage isn't a huge concern with me for trucks. I figure most of them are within 2 MPG of each other.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Very true. Gas mileage isn't a huge concern with me for trucks. I figure most of them are within 2 MPG of each other.

Yup. Also, they all make good trucks these days. All three. I bought my Ram because the interior of my Longhorn is nicer than anything else on the market. That's literally the only reason. It's fricking beautiful inside and I'm impressed every time I look around while driving it. If Ford decides to catch up, they will be in the running. I won't do a GM truck because I personally like the solid front axle. You can't go wrong with anything built today.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yup. Also, they all make good trucks these days. All three. I bought my Ram because the interior of my Longhorn is nicer than anything else on the market. That's literally the only reason. It's fricking beautiful inside and I'm impressed every time I look around while driving it. If Ford decides to catch up, they will be in the running. I won't do a GM truck because I personally like the solid front axle. You can't go wrong with anything built today.
Agreed. There are things I like about Toyota, Ford, Ram and Chevy/GM.

I like all the towing camera views GM offers (seriously, it's nuts!) and that you can get autotrac 4WD on an HD.

I like the Tremor package on the Fords allows an off road package on a truck that still has good payload. (Hoping they come out with an F150 Tremor)

Agreed that Ram has the best interiors in 1500 or HD version. (Love the Rebel and Power Wagon)

Toyota is last on the list for me currently. But, I am waiting to see what the new Tundra offers.

tacollie

Glamper
Trucks these days are all pretty good. I want to like the power wagon but I just don't. We are looking at 3/4 tons and are going to get a F250.
We are looking at supercabs(Lariat has a 3100lbs payload) and slightly used so no tremor option . We like the interior layout better. Sure the Rams are nicer but the F250 is still freaking fancy in the lariat trim. I'm 5'9"and ~178lbs. I will say I don't see how bigger guys could be comfy in them. The floor is surprisingly low and the bucket seats are narrower. Our tundra is significantly more spacious. I feel like I need longer arms in it ?

They are different trucks. Drive both and get the one you like.

wanabxtrm

Observer
My $0.03

-I placed an order a week ago for an F350 Tremor. Most recently had a Wrangler Jk; and currently a Sequoia and an F150 with the heavy duty payload package (2250 lbs).

If payload is a non factor for you (which I think I read you have 4 kids-> it’s going to be a factor) then the ram or any smaller truck/jeep/bronco is an option.

I have three kids. We have exceeded 2250 payload when fully kitted out; without the trailer attached (paddle boards/bikes/dog/game gear/etc). I guarantee it’s only a matter of time before you exceed that on a PW, especially if your towing.

Second item is front bench. With three kids we use the front bench seat a moderate amount. Ford is the only one with a ‘more proper’ seat and includes headrest, from a safety perspective.

Last is configuration... get the ford ordered with whatever you want alacarte.

Mine should be showing up Dec/January.

I researched the ******** out of the F350 before ordering so if you have a specific question about it I can probably answer it. I’ve started a thread on here for it already for once it shows.

PS-My future truck...
& as shown by ford...
Ford builder

Last edited:

Pnwfullsize

My personal rig is a 2018 power wagon and my work vehicle is a gas f250 supercab. They both get the job done, but i like driving the power wagon. So, drive them and buy what you like!

As far as payload, i follow the door sticker like i follow speed limits. I've had my PW overloaded like i have overloaded every other truck I have owned. Its never been an issue.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I owned and built a 4th Gen 2018 Power Wagon on 37's and used it with a Snugtop shell, AT Habitat, and a FWC. Overall it was a great truck and I miss it at times. @dogman1911 purchased it and he uses it extensively off-road in Northern Idaho proving it's capability every time he's out. His thread (my former) found here:

The pros of the Power Wagon:

• Electronic lockers and disconnecting sway bar
  • Soft coil sprung ride
  • Warn winch standard
  • Reliable 6.4L Hemi that makes plenty of power
  • Articu-link suspension
  • Out of the box ready to hit the trail without any modifications needed

My gripes with the PW:

• Lighter payload (1/2-ton territory) due to rear coils and softer suspension with this trim package
  • Lockers and disconnecting sway bars don't always engage when they should
  • Thirsty gasser Hemi engine that ticks
  • Comes on rinky-dink DuraCrap 33's
  • Crap headlights (halogens on the 4th Gen, the 2019+ 5th Gen LED's are much improved)
  • Cheaper feeling interior appointments and build quality when compared to Ford
  • Not a fan of how the rear seat platform works in comparison to the Ford system
  • 7+ recalls and TSB's in the first year
I am currently looking at buying a new truck next year and these two are at the top of my list. I am currently leaning towards the Tremor simply because I am favoring the diesel option, but I am a tad biased as I've owned four diesel Super Duty's in the past and I intend to tow more often with this truck. I like how the rear seat under storage box folds flat into the floor on the Ford (great space for our three large dogs while traveling) and I think that they have a slight edge in terms of build quality, interior appointments and fit/finish. The RAM currently has the more advanced interior with better tech and I find it more aesthetically pleasing, but the Ford is set for an update/next generation redesign in the next two years so I suspect it'll come out swinging in that department.

I am torn on whether or not I will even select the Tremor package at all, I might buy a Lariat Sport to get the color matched and black out options or a Platinum and build the truck the way I want post purchase (like I've always done in the past). I fear I will be paying for the Tremor options ultimately to only keep the front locker, that's not worth the $4K package sticker at that point and it still doesn't include the optional winch. I know I'll end up on 37's and aftermarket wheels so why should I pay for the 35" DuraCraps (that I obviously hate) and the black wheels which will get replaced?! While I plan to take this truck off-road to some degree, it's true purpose will be over the road towing and daily driving use, I have another vehicle built out for proper off-road/camping use now. If I didn't have the other vehicle and wanted a purpose built off-road truck I'd lean heavily towards the Power Wagon as it's extremely well equipped for the task out of the box.

Ford commands a premium over the RAM, that gap has narrowed in recent years, but the Ford is still the more expensive truck. Overall I think that the Ford is the better truck for long term ownership, reliability, durability, but I would put the RAM as a close second. At the end of the day I think that the Power Wagon is still the best stock off-road truck on the market, because when you get down to it the PW is a 3/4-ton Rubicon Gladiator truck. The PW has the better ride but that comes at the cost of the payload and squatty rear end when towing heavy. Ford front ends hold up better and I've never had an issue with any of their transmissions where that's almost a certainty on a RAM if kept long enough.

While the Tremor is the closest competitor to the Power Wagon, I still think that the PW is the better option for those looking to off-road a full size HD truck, so long as you don't need the power, torque, or payload of a diesel. The gasser Tremor is an option as well and on paper it looks to be a better engine and transmission than those found in the PW, but it's too new to know how it'll hold up over time. The advantage of the Gas Tremor is the improved payload and tow rating when compared to the PW, but it'll come at the cost of ride quality. It's hard to go wrong either way here and IMHO both are much better options than the GM trucks which don't even come close in comparison.

A few pics of my former 2018 Power Wagon and 2017 F-250 King Ranch, both on 37's.

Re01SSc.jpg

PUeuszc.jpg

rNRAGJi.jpg

pXjCMFC.jpg

4K9r0l2.jpg

Fkj5nnj.jpg

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
Missoula to Boise mpg. Did a couple over the speed limits

Attachments

• IMG_20201106_142551244_HDR~2.jpg