Powertank CO2 OBA system, lots of pics, and ideas for mounti

Cole

Expedition Leader
On my last Jeep (TJ) I ran a York compressor as my OBA. It was a nice set up but had a few drawbacks. Broke a belt once and left the Jeep stranded, could only use when the Jeep was running, which became and issue if you needed to work on the Jeep itself on the trial.

I have two rigs now and I was needing something that could be easily moved from one rig to the next. (Trail clean up truck and my JK).

I personally did not want to mess with trying to find and old tank and coble together a C02 system. I simply wanted to do it right from the start and know that I had a quality system.

Mounting is the first issue I have.

-The JK is really just a very expensive dog crate for me. So I need to leave as much space available for gear and pups.

-I picked up the roll bar mounts and temporarily put the tank out of the way on the roll bar. What you will see in a second it this location would prevent the softtop from working.

3351315593_9d08dcb63f_b.jpg

Both pups inspected the location and their new crate mate in great detail as I was trying to get you guys photos.

3351314259_fecd99ba5d_b.jpg

3352139464_2b0cc3babd_b.jpg

The bracket itself and the red anodized roll bar clamps are awesome! The roll bar clamps fit perfectly over the roll bar padding without having to cut it. They also come with rubber so that if you wanted to fit them to a bare roll cage you could.

The problem you will see in this photo is that the location of the tank works perfectly with the hard top on, but is totally in the way of the soft top mount right above it. Thoughts?

3352125830_c7fb86cde5_b.jpg

Here is tank mounting location option #2, but it also has problems. As you can see it blocks access to the floor cubby.

3352121874_459435b304_b.jpg

Location option #3. Actually looks to be the best spot, since it does not block the floor cubby, or the soft top, but now it takes up floor space, and you can see Foster is not happy about that location already.

Any other ideas?

3352123222_e4211edc5b_b.jpg

There is nothing more manly than more gauges!!! The Powertank tire inflator is AWESOME all by itself. Fluid filled!!! The shrader valve connector clips on for hands free opperation.

You can also see the two gauges on the tank. The top one is the pressure in the tank when the tank valve is open. The bottom one is your pressure regulator setting. The gauge reads from left to right, "Lockers", "Tools" and "Tires".

3352129152_08b8d35c60_b.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
More pics.
3352130492_7e96f73210_b.jpg

3351309089_80ee1b7148_b.jpg

3352138244_fdf4c10916_b.jpg

3351316871_80beb542e1_b.jpg

The tank comes out of the bracket easily and the bracket holds it tight when you want it to stay put.

The Powertank hose easily reaches the front tires without taking the Powertank out of the back.

3352144630_cb277aa8b2_b.jpg

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Those Power Tank systems sure are nice! I acquired a new 20lb CO2 tank for free and I just ordered a regulator, 20lb bracket and hose from Ultimate Air for $200. I was thinking about welding a custom mount for the bracket on the back of my spare tire rack. I would like to put it inside of my TJ so I can always carry it, but I don’t think a 20lb tank will fit anywhere. Maybe I will try to fabricate some kind of locking mechanism onto it.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Not that it is theft proof, but the mounting bracket does have a spot for a padlock.

Stouttrout

Adventurer
Nice set up. That mount has some nice bling to it. I built mine for about $150 including a new tank. Very easy to make one if anyone wants info just email me. I have 20# mounted in my F350 and 10# mounted in my Jeep. I have used the 20# numerous times on trailers and tractors to set beads. Very handy tool. I am current scrounging up stuff for my ATV tank build. Based on an Paintball tank. I will be able to fill it from my 20# tank.

luk4mud

Explorer
I like mounting spot #2 just fine. It will still reach all 4 tires.

As far as the system itself, I really like my CO2 system. There are way cheaper, quality turnkey systems out there, such as:
http://www.ultimate-air.com/

For the price of the PT and much change left over, I have the same system plus a spare tank. While they certainly look cool, I do not think all the gauges on the PT are really necessary. A fixed 150lb regulator will work just fine.

I like the fact that the system is simple, pretty much bullet proof, portable, and lets me run air tools when necessary.

Stouttrout

Adventurer
I like mounting spot #2 just fine. It will still reach all 4 tires.

As far as the system itself, I really like my CO2 system. There are way cheaper, quality turnkey systems out there, such as:
http://www.ultimate-air.com/

For the price of the PT and much change left over, I have the same system plus a spare tank. While they certainly look cool, I do not think all the gauges on the PT are really necessary. A fixed 150lb regulator will work just fine.

I like the fact that the system is simple, pretty much bullet proof, portable, and lets me run air tools when necessary.

I am using the fixed helium regulator as well. I had gauges but the first got broke by a stray branch. I could not see the need for it so I went with the Fixed and spent the money on a smaller spare.

phxtoad

Adventurer
Obvious solution: Mount tank on dog. Have dog sit next to wheel that needs air. :wings:

I like the roll bar mount. Nice setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears