Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Hello Ian are you going to ao14 this year.
I have had my vario iva done now and will mot next month so if registration comes through I will take it there with my trialer land rover on the back, did you find a way to put an extra alternator on yours?

We will not make it over this year due to work pressure. That's also why the updates have stopped here for the last few months.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Update

Well I switched back to the 17.5inch wheels and sold the 19.5 ones for a criminally low figure. I put a set of Kumho KDR03s on the back and stuck with Michelins on the front. The handling was improved a good bit and it did track straight on poorer surfaces.
Here it is with the original wheels. I also stuck an awning on it for our Summer holidays in Spain and France.
DSC01507 (1280x960).jpg

However it was still "lively" on bumps and tended to over-steer when initially turning into a bend. I noticed that the front axle was very close to the bump stops and that there was room for it to move further without hitting anything serious. So I decided to do a little surgery on the bump stops. I pulled them out and cut them in half and I also stiffened the adjustable front shocks by a 1/2 turn (now at 2 out of 1.5 turns available). This made a significant difference to the liveliness at the front and it also all but eliminated the over-steer, I'm guessing it was bottoming out on the front stops when cornering and causing the over-steer.

DSC01508 (1280x960).jpg

Having (temporarily) addressed some of the front problems I was better able to diagnose that the rear springs are too stiff for the load - That's another days work and taking leaf springs out in the middle of a French campsite would probably have been frowned upon.

So I think where I'm going (Yes, yes - I know - in circles) is to put a pair of air bag front and back and remove one leaf from the rear. The challenge is getting bags which are neat enough to fit but also have the amount of articulation necessary (160-180mm).

The only other small issue on this shakedown holiday was the fuel consumption. About 14-15 mpg (imperial) or 19L/100km Ouch!!!
On the plus every thing else work as planned. The 3 week holiday was great.
Here's the beast about to disembark in Gijón, Spain.
WP_20140720_11_55_16_Pro (1280x721).jpg

and a couple of idyllic shots in Spain

DSC01381 (1280x960).jpg

WP_20140720_18_03_32_Pro (1280x721).jpg

Last edited:

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Looks great ian. Will be interested to hear what solution you come up with regarding the airbags, its something I need to address too. I'm back in the UK for a month (flying out tonight), so finally get to do some more upgrades to the van...solar panels and fantastic vent here we come!

Any things in the living area you want to change?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
The only thing is bathroom is bigger than it needed to be. No big deal - but not easy to change.
I'd also say it would have been better without the bunks for the to kids. Or maybe it's just without the kids..... :)

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Hi,
Some Varios come factory fitted with air suspension. It's mostly used in bus configurations and it's not compatible with the 4x4 model.

incognito

Adventurer
hy,
you can calculate your load and each leaf has around 500 kgs ( or 1000 lbs), I have 4000 lbs load and 4 leafs is the rear for each rear wheel. same problems too stiff and metalic noise over bumps. since i've put air suspension ( 5000 lbs firestone ride-rite) suspension is softer than my regular car with the same 4 leaf pack. also put a set of daystar airbag cradles in case suspension overextends. maybe you need shackles for the rear leaf pack.
i would not put air bags in front if one fails at high speed well ....

http://globalcamper.blogspot.ca/p/4x4-dodge-ram-camper.html

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspension-air-bags/airide-replacement-air-springs/double-convoluted

duallys are the best tons of traction and in case of a flat at high speed not a problem.

a very good read about solar

http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/
hope this helps
incognito

NigelEvans

Hi Ian,

Been around tootling around Europe for a couple of months this summer. Fuel was so much more expensive than SA!

A couple of observations about mpg - if I stick to the "green zone" rpm (for me that's a max of 55mph @ 2200rpm) I can return around 28mpg. If I try and press to 2500rpm this drops to around 18mpg.

I see from another thread that you are considering ways to refinish your dash etc. Have you thought of vinyl wrap? 3M make a product, the same material that they use on the outside of vehicles I believe.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Wow - That's a big difference Nigel and the only difference is the larger frontal area. Your van is 4x4 correct?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I know I've been a little quiet for the last while, but rest assured I've not being doing much on the camper :)

Well what have I done?
I built a locker on the rear to enclose the US RV style toilet dump plumbing. I've also fitted a macerator pump and 8m of pipe in case I can't find a US style dump point (very rare outside NA). I know people are going to give me a hard time on departure angles – but keep in mind that I'm aiming for a bad road camper rather than an off-road beast.

WP_20150525_15_26_01_Pro.jpg

I also fitted a rear hitch and fender. Again I know it close to the ground and I've already grounded it out. I have set it up so that it can ride up. I just need to move the number plate to allow it good movement. The reason for the hitch is that I'm going to tow my motorcycle on our summer holiday this year. We're planning on going to Germany.

WP_20150531_19_04_34_Pro.jpg

You can see the damage I did when I forced the truck through this space (helpfully guided by my wife's unique signalling technique :) )

WP_20150531_19_02_38_Pro.jpg

I've also fitted a posh roof window made by outbound.eu directly above the bed. Again – I know the advice is to never do this. But it's cool to look at the stars (grey clouds in Ireland) when in bed. It's about 1.1m by 0.7m and also allows me to get on the roof to fix the frequent leaks.

WP_20150525_15_26_54_Pro.jpg

Here we are wild camping (Ironically illegal in Ireland where we still have a nomad/traveler community) in Glenmalure, Co Wicklow.

WP_20150531_19_02_50_Pro.jpg

The fire mess was not us.

WP_20150531_19_07_38_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I love roof hatches, got something similar in mine and never had problems (except the few times I've left it open on a fine night only to be woken up by rain on my feet :) )

I have a mate who added a hitch, but he was able to make it fold up for when he's not towing.

Ullie

Adventurer
I've also fitted a posh roof window made by outbound.eu directly above the bed. Again – I know the advice is to never do this.

Why not? We've also a roof window above the bed and its great. We did have to place a spoiler in front because with heavy winds and driving, the window lifted a little bit. But further no problems.

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Are you happy with the Outbound roof window? They seem to be well made and of good quality, I only ask since I am considering using Outbond windows and roof hatches on the camper buildt I'm about to start.

Ullie

Adventurer
We don't have Outbond Windows, I just ment a roof window. We have a Leki roof window and Seitz windows at the side.
I've seen the outbound windows in real and I think they are well made. But we had the windows put in by the firm that made our box. They work with Seitz and Heki. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78