Pre trip rituals

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I'm getting ready for a much needed trip at the end of the month into the Inyo Range, Saline Valley and Eureka Valley. It will be a solo vehicle trip, my D130 and two of my lifelong friends.

Today I changed my oil, a few days prior to the trip I'll hit all the zerk fittings and check the drive-line for loose nuts and bolts, I hope to have the ATE blue in time to do a brake fluid change, check and top off all fluids, weigh my CO2 tank to assure enough for the trip.

I have spare axles, distributor cap, water pump and fuel pump. All the needed tools and then some.

These are just a few things that come to mind right now for me.

I am sure the it spans the spectrum but I am interested to see what others pre trip rituals are.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Here's my prep list:
fill fuel and water cans
load camping gear in truck
check supplies of bourbon and cigars
fill fuel tank
go

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
OMG, I have a list that I made using a camping list template on excel, if I can find it I'll email it to you. It always varies on trip length but I lay stuff out in sections and check it off. I have a tool bag that weighs (too much) a bit. Recovery gear, fuses, spares if you think you'll need em though on camping trips spares can be done w/o. extra fluids if your prone to loosing them and since your a LR owner your prone to losing them :). Check and recheck cause it sucks when you get to where your going and realize you forgot the salt for the ice cream ball and everyone is looking at you and thinking mutiny.

Aaron

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Trip Packing/Rig Inspection

I have a checklist of things I pack or check on to make sure they are in the rig and in good working order. I then go over the rig and check all fluids, inspect the drive train, brakes etc. I would hate to be out in the boonies and have problems. Using this list gives me peace of mind that I checked it or packed it. :smiley_drive:

Here is my checklist:
http://web.mac.com/mrlocksmith/iWeb/Site/PackingList.pdf

You can see more at my web site on my sig line.

Later

Mark

Last edited:
I keep a smallish priority mail box packed with a couple of wheel bearings, hub seals, exhaust manifold gaskets and swivel seals...as well as the ignition parts you've already mentioned.

Oh! Throw in some two part epoxy, it came in quite handy when my old coolant overflow tank cracked.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Home for my primary tools and camping gear is in my truck so doesn't need packing. Thus most of my packing takes place during the first days after getting home.

I clean out the truck, pressure wash grime off the underside of the truck, check the air filter, fluids, regease the fittings, check belts, empty the porta pottie, make sure any empty sanitation fluid containers are refilled, go through all the dishes, cookware, refrigerator, recovery gear, cleaning gear are clean and properly stowed. Launder my sleeping bag, dirty clothes bag, and if I've been out in the dust, the vehicle's curtains. The inflatable mattress gets stowed in the house. Any equipment repairs that might be needed are taken care of.

It takes me longer to unpack and clean up than it does to pack.

When I'm ready to go out my packing is straight forward.
  • If it has been at least 4 months since the last time, I drain, flush, sanitize and refill my water tank
  • If I've camped at least 3 weeks since topping off my propane tank, I top it off, or if the trip is longer than a couple weeks, I top it off
  • If I have a vehicle maintenance cycle coming up, I go ahead and run it
  • I have 3 plastic totes for clothing. They get packed according to the length of the trip and the weather. I pack for a maximum of 7 days assuming that there is a laundry/shopping/ general cleaning/maintenance day scheduled in once every 7 days
  • I pack groceries for a max. of 7 days. The meat is frozen except for the first night meal. The refrigerator gets turned on the evening before leaving, and loaded during the final hours before leaving. I tend to pack more of the specialty items that may be hard to find during the trip.
  • The inflatable mattress gets deflated, rolled up and stowed.
  • Toiletries get loaded
  • Maps, a driving snack, water bottle & often my teddy bear gets loaded up front

The roof rack gets packed according to the trip.

Always loaded:
  • 2' by 2' square of thick plywood for use as a jack base
  • 5L gerry can of 90 wt
  • 5L gerry can of anti freeze (if cold weather anticipated)
  • parts cleaning kit
  • box with 2 bottle jacks, grease gun, oil pump, various funnels (greasy interior box)
  • box with large nylon tarp, rope, spare water system filter, water tank filling hose, long electrical cord, adapter for high power RV outlets, propane hose to allow external propane tank use (clean interior box)

The 2 boxes are always stowed full and ready to load

Optional roof rack stuff includes a folding chair, my shower tent & now a small generator in case I sit one place long enough to need to recharge my aux. battery, and if I'm going to be out for a while a small aluminum propane tank. I ALWAYS run out of propane cooking dinner when the food is not yet edible.

That's pretty much it. I've done this often enough that I don't worry about what is supposed to be in the vehicle ready to use. I'm confident that it is there, properly stowed and ready for use. I no longer use lists. I pack mainly by reflex depending upon if the trip is longer or shorter than a week, the expected weather and the anticipated types of terrain.

If I slip up, I have a word with housekeeping and send the maid out for whatever is missing at the first opportunity. But housekeeping is usually pretty reliable. Mostly its just a matter of loading food and clothing and making sure everything is topped off.

rearinterior.jpeg

Picture of the rear interior of my Land Rover fully packed for more than a week in the field

TWgrCampThurs%20copy.jpg

My truck a week and a half ago. Right now all I need to do is top off the water tank, load the roof rack, add clothing & food and she is ready to be out for a week or longer. 2 days after the trip cleaning, inspecting and doing maintenance. Less than a half day to pack for a week plus out in the field.

revor

Explorer
Here's my prep list:
fill fuel and water cans
load camping gear in truck
check supplies of bourbon and cigars
fill fuel tank
go

There you go..

Of course my wife is a completely different story, add kids and a normally 6500 lb truck loaded and ready to go ends up at 10K

I don't carry too much for spares, I do carry tools and specific fluids, some bearings and a grease gun.

revor

Explorer
Have you ever had a LR bearing go out on a trip? If yes, what caused it?

Never one of mine but several compadre's have lost set's here and there over the years due to water ingress or poor maintenance I figure.

Since then I have switched to RTC3511 hub seals whenever I can. And I've removed the inner axles seals front and rear to allow diff lube bathe everything. Seems to have worked out okay.

But due to the huge amount of damage that can be caused by driving on a bad bearing (and the fact that now I've said something I'm sure to have a failure) I keep a set in the truck, heck two bearing cones and two cups isn't very much.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've two suggestions, one a tool, the other a ritual or a superstition - which ever you want to call it.

The tool:
I always carry a can of Safety Wire and Safety wire pliers on trips. I got into the habit way back when with the dune buggy. Not so much because I expected to need to safety wire some bolts on the trail, but more as a higher tech Baling Wire and some good pliers to work it with. LAst year a friend finally convinced me to carry a related tool that he's been carrying for 5 years or so.
http://clamptool.com/
newlogo.jpg

With this tool and a can of .032" SS wire you can make any hose clamp or CV boot clamp or similar that you might possibly ever need. I bought mine at a gun show as they frequent the Left Coast show circuit.

The "Ritual":
As you're going out the door or nearly so, that tool/device/item that catches your eye? TAKE IT!
More often than not I've needed what ever that thing was.

Aside from those, I just do the usual check on hose, belts, & fluids. PM gets done if it has been a while or if the trip is a long one.

After the trip I do not immediately clean the truck. All of that grime makes finding the bolts that have worked loose and any cracks a whole lot easier. Once the loose/cracks survey has been done, then I clean the truck. Maybe. :)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
My only unusual ritual per se, no matter where I'm going or what vehicle I'm taking, I clean the inside of the windshield. I'm a bit OCD about good visibility, that applies to lighting, reducing glare, and keeping the windshield clean. I hate getting into somebody else's car with a dirty inner windshield resulting in "ghosting" at night. Just had it happen to me last weekend in fact.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
One of the great things about having a 130 is the amount of space and the ability to secure it all in the with factory shell. Spares, camping gear and tools rarely leave my truck. Prior to a trip all I need to do is pack clothes and food in addition to the pre-check.

I really enjoy working on my truck which is nice when you own a Rover, it really is kind of cathartic. I was under my truck last night with my 6 y/o daughter and 8 y/o son pointing things out and explaining how things work and thinking how ************** is this? I'm rebuilding a 3.9 right now and it will be a great learning experience for them if it can hold their attention. Hell, it is a great learning experience for too.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I've removed the inner axles seals front and rear to allow diff lube bathe everything. Seems to have worked out okay.

I have wondered how important those seals are. Does this mean your front diff lube and swivel housing lube are mixing?

revor

Explorer
I have wondered how important those seals are. Does this mean your front diff lube and swivel housing lube are mixing?

Yes the lube in the swivels is the same as that in the diff.

Obviously you have to make sure you diff is kept full but mine haven't leaked.

Oil bath is usually preferable to Grease when it come to bearing life.

seriessearcher

Adventurer
My List

This is the list I put together after our Moab trip last year made by a bunch of 88s and a 109. I put in excedl, so I just cut and pasted everything out. PM me if you have any questions.

Vehicle Trip Preparation

Preventive Maintenance
Check Vehicle Documentation Location / Current Status
Change / Check Motor Oil / Filter
Change / Check Front and Rear Diff fluid
Change / Check Transfer Case Fluid
Change / Check Transmission Fluid
Change / Check Transmission Fluid
Change / Check Swivel Fluid
Change / Check Engine Coolant
Inspect Battery Terminal Connection
Inspect Tire Pressure
Inspect Hand Brake Operation
Inspect / Replace Wiper Rubbers
Validate Brake Lights Work
Validate Head Lights Work
Validate Directional Signals Work
Validate Wiper Motors Work
Clean Inside / Outside Glass Surfaces

Tools to Carry
Note Pad and Pen
Jim Hall Magic Axle Tool (This is magic LR 10 spline tool worth weight in gold)
Green Bibles in Waterproof Container
Lug Nut Wrench (s)
Hand Crank
Jumper Cables
Bottle Jack
Hi Lift Jack
5x7 tarp
Ratchet Straps
Portable Air Compressor
Tire Pressure Gauge
Metal File (story behind this one)
Breaker Bar