Preliminary Trailer build questions

Zelix

Adventurer
Hey, I'm new here and wanting to build a trailer ... on a cheep budget. When I say cheep I mean as inexpensive as possible without compromising the look or workability of the trailer.

I found this site out and the prices look good for the axle kit. Has anyone ordered from them or know anything about the quality of the axles?

ABC Trailer Parts

3500 Lb. capacity 2-3/8" round axle beam
Axle sold with five or six lug hubs, bearings, races, grease caps, 25-1/4"x1-3/4" four leaf double eye springs, u-bolt kit, single axle hanger kit and lug nuts $132.99

The wheel bearings are high-speed bearings.
Trailer Wheel Bolt Patterns Available:
Five wheel studs on 4-1/2"
Am I correct that this bolt pattern is what will fit on my JEEP Wrangler as well?

2-3/8" round tubing

3/16" wall thickness

1-1/16" outer bearing #L44649

1-3/8" inner bearing #L68149

The following 3500 Lb. stock trailer axle sizes are available:

Trailer Axle size - 62" hub face and 48" spring perch center mounts for a 50" wide trailer frame.

Is the correct set up I need for my trailer or should I look elsewhere?

With that said I'm thinking basically copying Box Rocket's design...with some deviations to suite my needs. I'll be using the HSS2x2x1/8 for the trailer bed. I will use the HSS1x1X1/8 for the uprights, and the HSS1x3x1/8 for the upper rim. Unless anyone has any other input that would work.

Box Rocket's trailer build

I'll start with this as the base. I might add the side boxes over the fenders. I'll upgrade it as I get funding and figure out exactly what I want.

Thanks for any advice,
Z

LngDstncVygr

Yeah, those have a 4.5 circle.

Be sure that you understand what you are getting into when you start playing with using Jeep wheels though. Jeep wheels have usually have rather large offsets while trailer wheels are set at ZERO offset. You will have to size your frame around your wheel choice.

computeruser

Explorer
Looks good. Certainly cheaper than buying the parts individually at the local store like I did...

One thing to consider is the fact that the wheel hub to spring mount distance on a "standard" trailer axle will not work comfortably with OEM rims, or even most aftermarkets. Trailer rims typically have very little backspacing and run a narrow tire to boot. Depending on your rim choices, you'll want to be aware of that before you get into fabricating and then realize you need $$$$ wheel spacers to make things work.

I used OEM Canyon rims with the hubs bored through to clear the bearing cap. This way I can swap the trailer tires onto the Jeep in a pinch. With trailer tires mounted you can see how much deviation from "standard" trailer dimensions we had to go to accommodate the Jeep rims with 5.5" of backspacing:
P1100017Medium.jpg

By contrast, with 31-10.50s on Canyon rims:
DSCF1442Medium.jpg

Zelix

Adventurer
Yeah, those have a 4.5 circle.

Be sure that you understand what you are getting into when you start playing with using Jeep wheels though. Jeep wheels have usually have rather large offsets while trailer wheels are set at ZERO offset. You will have to size your frame around your wheel choice.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that I'd get the axle assembled with the tires on it before I start building the trailer. I can pull a measurement and update my plans before I get to cutting the steel.

I have to do this in stages as I've never built a trailer before....So hopefully I can pull this off without too many mistakes [steel is a bit expensive]..

Looks good. Certainly cheaper than buying the parts individually at the local store like I did...

One thing to consider is the fact that the wheel hub to spring mount distance on a "standard" trailer axle will not work comfortably with OEM rims, or even most aftermarkets. Trailer rims typically have very little backspacing and run a narrow tire to boot. Depending on your rim choices, you'll want to be aware of that before you get into fabricating and then realize you need $$$$ wheel spacers to make things work.

I used OEM Canyon rims with the hubs bored through to clear the bearing cap. This way I can swap the trailer tires onto the Jeep in a pinch. With trailer tires mounted you can see how much deviation from "standard" trailer dimensions we had to go to accommodate the Jeep rims with 5.5" of backspacing:
P1100017Medium.jpg

By contrast, with 31-10.50s on Canyon rims:
DSCF1442Medium.jpg

Thanks for the pict.s, I see exactly what ya are saying now.

I was hoping to cruise thru some junkyards to find some rims for the Cheep.. and get some standard good years mounted on them... I haven't really looked around much as I'm off to Japan in a week I'll be there for a couple of weeks...

I was gonna order the axle and look around at junk yards when I got back. I've heard of others using old Jeep rear ends [axle, springs and all] to build with. I though about doing that.. but decided it'd be a cleaner look to use a store bought axle.

I have AutoCAD so I was gonna draw up a set of plans so I can get to figuring out the steel I needed.

I also have to get a set of those magnet welding squares... Don't want a crooked trailer. :)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
From various reports don't bother with vol. 1, I found vol. 2 to be helpful in laying out where the axle needs to be and what the tongue length should be.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_12729_12729

The magnetic holders won't hold the tubes square as the tacking tries to pull them out of square, they'll just hold them square until you start to tack. Invest in a framer's square and miter the outside corner to clear the tack welds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior