Premium & High End Ice Chests & Coolers Reviews

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
The best thing is to have lots of coolers of varying size and capability, a fridge or two, and lots of free time and beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Very true. I don't think a fridge would work well in my canoe. : )

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a soft-sided cooler comparable to a YETI Hopper? One of those would work better than my hard-sided cooler in my canoe. I might even buy one for the OP.

Ozark Trail (WalMart) . I was looking at them today. 40-50 bucks. Three sizes. I bought the backpack style , it was 44. All three would work with a canoe. The liner and zippers are not AS beefy as the Yeti, but a for a fourth the price? Can't go wrong.

perterra

Adventurer

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Here's a comment I posted to the cooler shoot out that Field and Stream did:

Throwing a chest out of a truck is pure theatrics. A key attribute of a chest is how clean it's exterior lines are. the Cabela's fails miserably at this. Not good for a canoe, raft or tightly packed truck/car. Why two sets of handles? Only makes it hard to pack and heavier.

Secondly, the Cabela's air release deal is silly. All you have to do is unscrew the drain plug a tad to release lid lock on a cooler. Expect the air release gizmo to start leaking after a time. A key to long lasting ice is an airtight cooler that doesn't suck/seep warm (or cold) air with changes in elevation.

The Pelican suffers from the same chunky exterior issues. I have one and removed the rubber feet (stupid/heavy) the black handles, and sawed off the terrible metal nose on the front that scratches walls, cars, and pokes you in the gut when lifting from front. They have fixed this on newer coolers and integrated a bottle opener. Made in USA, good price, holds ice, but heavy.

Mechanical latches are better if done well like on the Pelican. Rubber latches provide varying pressure depending on temperature and how old they are.Rubber latches are the pits on cold mornings, with gloves, greasy fingers, etc. Good luck having your kid or wife open some of the rubber latches.. the Pelican latches can be worked by anyone and offer consistent pressure.

Finally, why all the fuss about drain plugs? Everyone should know now draining the water out of a cooler isn't good when it's in use.The drain plugs offer little to no insulation at a critical spot. I'd like to see a cooler with NO PLUG, at least on sizes under 80 qt. Last I checked water can be poured out the lid.

Here's my list of things to test for:

1)Put coolers out in baking sun for day and check for lid warp.

2)Pressure test coolers for air tightness (I have done a paper strip test on closed lids of high end coolers and many don't have a tight seal in the store).

3)Calculate volume vs exterior dimensions/design cleanliness vs weight.

4)Kid/woman operation of latch test.

5)Ice retention test after pre cooling.

ghostshaper

just bought the Cabela 40 qt. the site automatically added the cart for free b/c of some sale promo. the cart is awesome but heavy (doubles the weight of the cooler, and you need the cart b/c of the extra weight, haha).

I agree with the comment about the plastic handles sticking out. Don't really need them b/c of the rope handles that tuck in. Might saw off the plastic ones.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I had been contemplating a fridge or a good cooler and just happened to find the Woods roto molded coolers on sale at Canadian Tire. I couldn't find any reviews on them and didn't find any tests or comparisons that included them but for a sale price of $350 for an 80L I decided to give it a go. Used it on one trip so far over 6 days in hot, sunny weather and I'm impressed, but I've never used any of the other brands.

I had been contemplating a fridge or a good cooler and just happened to find the Woods roto molded coolers on sale at Canadian Tire. I couldn't find any reviews on them and didn't find any tests or comparisons that included them but for a sale price of $350 for an 80L I decided to give it a go. Used it on one trip so far over 6 days in hot, sunny weather and I'm impressed, but I've never used any of the other brands.

I am still on the fence with these Woods coolers. I haven't figured out who makes them yet. But your experience seems like it is a good product.

vartz04

Adventurer
I have an Orca 26qt an Orca pod 28qt backpack, a bison 12 softpak and a RTIC 45. I also have a Coleman 4 day and my dad has a big 120qt igloo marine cooler. All of the hard side and the Orca Pod were used for a big party I had over the weekend for my kids first birthday.

The 120qt was filled with warm beer and to the max with ice
The RTIC was filled with warm soda and to the max with Ice
The Coleman was filled with warm water bottles and juice boxes and to the max with ice.

All were filled on Friday on my deck that is about 50/50 shade/sun. Saturday morning I drained the water and maxed them all out with ice. After the party I just left them I also put a 20lb bag of ice in the Orca pod for mixed drinks

The RTIC still had ice this morning and it was 88 and sunny yesterday the Orca pod had a couple ice chips but was mostly water
The Coleman and the igloo were just water and it was barely cold.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My YETI was stolen, no one ever stole my Coleman

Public Safety Announcement: Lock these high end coolers up (I don't know the circumstances around Utah KJ theft, just using his post as an example. Thanks!). We all know they're cool (pun intended) and worth showing off, but I've never taken a RRT, fuel/water can, etc theft report in the mountains. But, when these high end coolers get left in the back of a truck, cargo carrier, trailer, unlocked SUV, etc....they are stolen all the time (with the beer in them...). Next to impossible to recover and are highly prized and valuable to thieves to trade or sell. Take care.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I am still on the fence with these Woods coolers. I haven't figured out who makes them yet. But your experience seems like it is a good product.
I'm sure they aren't of the same quality as soon of the other brands, and I don't know who makes them either... very little info available. I'll probably do a specific review after a couple more uses but I'll give a quick one here.
I like the shape as they are quite boxy and don't have a big taper to them and the handles are recessed so they don't stick out. This made packing easier. I stood on the center of the lid of the large 80L and it felt solid, I wouldn't hesitate to jump up on it in the field if needed. I like the drain plug, small and controlled flow until you completely remove it and it drains quick. It comes with two ice pack dividers and a dry storage tray. It has lock tabs at both corners and a slot to run a tie down strap. 3.5 bags of ice and the two ice packs lasted a 6 day trip in 30+ degree Celsius weather and I left it to sit in the sun for half the day for the last 3 days. It was completely melted on the 7th morning but the beer was still cold :)

There was a 50 and 80 on display and while the 50 had nice smooth seams the 80 had some sharp and some rough seams... I just asked them to bring another out and it was much nicer. Minor thing but why buy one that's got manufacturing blemishes?
I would wait for them to be on sale though. I paid $350 and now they are around $450, at full price I'd definitely shop around the other brands too.

Last edited:

Cletus26

Adventurer
I'm sure they aren't of the same quality as soon of the other brands, and I don't know who makes them either... very little info available. I'll probably do a specific review after a couple more uses but I'll give a quick one here.
I like the shape as they are quite boxy and don't have a big taper to them and the handles are recessed so they don't stick out. This made packing easier. I stood on the center of the lid of the large 80L and it felt solid, I wouldn't hesitate to jump up on it in the field if needed. I like the drain plug, small and controlled flow until you completely remove it and it drains quick. It comes with two ice pack dividers and a dry storage tray. It has lock tabs at both corners and a slot to run a tie down strap. 3.5 bags of ice and the two ice packs lasted a 6 day trip in 30+ degree Celsius weather and I left it to sit in the sun for half the day for the last 3 days. It was completely melted on the 7th morning but the beer was still cold :)

There was a 50 and 80 on display and while the 50 had nice smooth seams the 80 had some sharp and some rough seams... I just asked them to bring another out and it was much nicer. Minor thing but why buy one that's got manufacturing blemishes?
I would wait for them to be on sale though. I paid $350 and now they are around $450, at full price I'd definitely shop around the other brands.
92427d9df9ae3ba3e1b9f1810a1bb363.jpg

Would you mind grabbing some measurements for me? I'm interested in these but they are out of stock everywhere near me and I have very specific space for a cooler so I need to be sure of the size

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Would you mind grabbing some measurements for me? I'm interested in these but they are out of stock everywhere near me and I have very specific space for a cooler so I need to be sure of the size
Not at all but I won't be home for a couple weeks. Not listed on the crappy tire website?

vartz04

Adventurer
When compared on price, the IceMule 23L soft cooler doesn't rate as "premium & high end" against some competition, but I've been very happy with mine when used with my kayak. It rides perfectly on the rear deck, and is easy to haul from the truck to the water. I'm able to route a CamelBak hose through the roll top closure, so I have liters of icy water available all day without opening it. It's a well reviewed soft cooler, and the backpack configuration makes it stand out from some more expensive options.

https://icemulecoolers.com/collections/pro-coolers/products/the-icemule-pro-large

I've seen reports of the shoulder straps detaching, but I have to wonder if some of those failures are caused by people grabbing a full pack by one strap instead of picking it properly by the roll top loop. The same thing happens to regular backpacks when the haul loop isn't used, and all of the weight of a heavy pack is yanked around on a single shoulder strap.

Had I seen these before I bought my bison softpak I would have chosen this. My buddy got one and it definitely holds ice better plus doesn't leak. The bison is made in the USA though.

The reason they are cheaper is they don't have the waterproof zipper. That is where all of the cost of the high end soft coolers comes from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior