Prepping a defender 130 for around the world..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
This is marshland in the centre of the island, due to its densely packed soilbase it's very slow to drain the water off, and this is from the recent rains... The pic of the GPS was taken on the ferry trip across the sound getting to the island, the pic of the "road" is in the middle of Portsmouth island on the northern point section. The amount of mozzies out there was unbearable, almost as many as prudhoe bay in Alaska..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So it was about the voyage not the destination ? The road in was great, but no comment on the abandoned village ?

What am I...your Aussie bloody tour guide..??..:)... If you hadda slipped off your high heel shoes and lifted your skirt up and come along ya woulda seen it for yourself...sheez.....:).. You do know this is a build thread...not your own personal episode of national geographic don't ya.....just this once coz I love ya douggy boy..
Village was actually pretty cool, they have done a great job of preserving and "restoring" it....all of the place was closed up but if you could stand the mozzies it was worth it..the village is quite spread out with the lifeguard station being the first one you come to...I google earthed it and it is quite a spread..not like I was expecting...the history of it is pretty cool too..I think the last remaining resident left the village in the 1970's..??? Descendants of the village still own some of the buildings and come out there sometimes I believe..but for the most part it's owned by the national parks service..
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

A very stark contrast to what we saw of the rest of the island..:)

image.jpg

We only walked 1/4 of the way in...mozzies were killin us with all the standing water around..

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I've been wanting to install rear power windows in the truck as its easier to wind the windows down and up for the dogs in the back, but had a problem finding any info or examples of it being done...so I bit the bullet and bought a set that I think might work...and golly gosh I think it may just work...installed one side and it works, not sure how it's going to last long term as its slow to go up...but that may just be the bodge wiring I have to test it...Pics coming soon..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I got around to doing more on the power windows today.. Mounted in position there is plenty of room to clear the door panels, they work great in initial testing..

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's basically a power motor that drives a cable that drives a gear that winds your existing manual window regulator... It comes with a t handle that can be used to wind the window up in the case of a motor failure... I got to mount the window switches in the tuffy box today so I will post a video of the system tomorrow...switches are in and wired on one side, just gotta do the other side wiring to the window and it's all done...:)

NRS91

I was put onto this build thread by a friend who is currently rebuilding his 127. We both got the overland bug after doing a trip from UK to Morocco so are now both building trucks to travel and both are looking around for inspiration and ideas we may have missed.
The Rover Shop your build is awesome! Kudos on all your hard work and I cant wait for future installments of this land rover's evolution.
Keep up the good work :)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Thanks for that...then you may be interested in my other builds...the defender 110 double cab and the camel trophy build in the stickies..I believe there's plenty of good ideas in the camel build,,

The Rover Shop

Explorer
While we often don't build these trucks for the money or the glory...it is always nice to get some appreciation in return.. We will be a feature vehicle at overland expo, and just for giggles I entered this truck into the overland expo cool rides competition.. I see that the jeep and FJ guys have some good numbers, we, as Land Rover guys can't let them kick our asses like that, let's show em what we can do.... I'm going to ask you guys out there to vote for our truck in the "competition"... So please..!!..open this and click on the like button, and if you have multiple personalities (like my ex wife) and each one of those has a different email address, have them vote too....:)...
http://www.overlandexpo.com/coolride

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman