Pressure cooker

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I cannot believe I've been cooking for over fourty years and never had one of these before.
I wuped up some masaman curry this weekend inabout an hour that tasted like it had been in the crock pot all day.

I've seeing a vista of possiabilities opening up in the camping relm.

Any advice from those who have gone before?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
My wife is pressure cooker queen. Artichokes take no time, chicken & roasts & meat dishes,et al. I just always have cold water on hand to pour over it to cool down.

Joanne

Adventurer
My mom cooked with a pressure cooker a lot but I've never used one until recently. I've been cooking pinto beans in it and really like how they come out.

They don't seem to be very popular right now, but I think they offer a lot of possiblilites for fast meals. If you could track down a pressure cooker cook book you would probably be surprised at how versatile they are.

I went camping with a friend and her folks this weekend. Her mom and a small pressure cooker in their 5th wheel. It was probably only 3 quarts or so. I didn't think to ask where she got it.

Of course Coronal Sandars became famous by cooking his chicken in a pressure cooker.

Joanne

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I cooked with one for a few years, most of the time it was clamped to a gimballed propane two burner stove. They would be great for camping, you just need an hour or so.:chowtime:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'm starting to look into them myself. I think they would be great for my soup, stew, and bean type recipes. I don't know much yet but I'll be happy to share anything I learn.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Mom has always cooked with one. Chili and Spaghetti sauces being some of my favorites she made. Gets the cook time down to1-2 hours instead of all afternoon.

When I was single I used it a lot. The wife never has really taken to it. Being a true southern belle She just seems to like being over the hot stove all afternoon. I really wonder if the seal or the regulator have gone MIA.

fisher205

Explorer
I've been using them for years. I originally started using them because I could clamp the lid over some soaking beans while traveing and not spill too much. Just make sure your vent stays open while cooking beans ( the infamous exploding soup incident). A pressure cooker also reduces the amount of fuel required for cooking a meal. - Brad

spressomon

Expedition Leader
We've got one. Don't use it as much as I should...but it, like mentioned above, works quick wonders with artichokes! Maybe a small size for camping?

gjackson

FRGS
Used one in Africa A LOT. Makes hardly edible meat really tender. And you can adapt some DO recipies to cook faster.

yummy!

cheers

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I did country style ribs tonight. Cooked them for about 20 minutes then put them in a sauce pan with some bottles BBQ sauce. They kind of fall apart in the sauce. Served on a roll with dill pickle slices. Hot Damn! that was good. This would be a killer camp meal.

I need to get my wife to make some of her home made BBq sauce for next time.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
fisher205 said:
I've been using them for years. I originally started using them because I could clamp the lid over some soaking beans while traveing and not spill too much. Just make sure your vent stays open while cooking beans ( the infamous exploding soup incident). A pressure cooker also reduces the amount of fuel required for cooking a meal. - Brad
Now thats a great idea, they seal up pretty good unless they tip completly over.

I wonder if you could rig some way to run a coil from the cooling system under one for slow cooking while you drive?

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Funny how so many people mention artichokes. As a child, that's exactly how I learned to use my mother's pressure-cooker.

I think the pressure-cooker's faster-cooking appeal lost out to the microwave, and has never really regained popularity. But it remains indispensable to me, both at home and camping.

The model I use in the field is GSI's hard-anodized 3-quart cooker:
View attachment 10923

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I bought a 6 quart model at Costco for about $50. I've used it now twice; once for beef stew (using brisket) and once for boneless beef short ribs. Both times the meat turned out nice and tender and the family was happy.

When cooking larger or tougher pieces of meat, I cook them for a while before adding the veggies. You can just release the pressure, remove the lid, and add the veggies later. The cooker gets back to pressure quickly.

Field testing soon. Going to use it for the next camp trip for some stew.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I used a 4 qt Presto years ago on an extended trip to Alaska and back. I was cooking for 3 people, and using a 2 burner Coleman gas stove. One thing that worked particularly well was to buy a frozen chicken at a small town grocery, let it thaw in the cooler, and then cook it in the PC with dried tomato, onion, etc. I'd have to look at the travel journals to see what else I tried.

I haven't used it much since then, though I'm starting to explore its use at home again. The Presto would still fit in the kitchen gear box, but not work with my current stove (a Trangia alcohol set). I've eyed the GSI stove, though I don't think it is much smaller (except for the handle).

Apparently the GSI pressure cooker instructions say not to use it on a campfire. I understand. I wouldn't want flames to licking around the handles or overheating the gasket. But has anyone successfully used a pressure cooker over coals? For example, I have 3 leg stand for my GSI 10" dutch oven. I wonder if I can get enough heat from coals under the stand to operate my pressure cooker. Guess I'll have to test it sometime.

paulj

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Looking back at some my old journals I see that I 'baked' in my pressure cooker as well. I have a Bake-packer, a honeycomb trivet. That is filled with water, batter is placed in a heat proof plastic bag, and then steamed (without pressure). This would work with other pans as well, but the pressure cooker tends to be deeper than many sauce pans.

Also one time, just after restocking in Anchorage, I cooked some chicken gizzards and hearts. That's not something I would have attempted in camp without the pressure cooker.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998