Pressure Water for Truck Topper

Marine359

About to order a pop-up topper. Wondering whether anybody has used reliance jugs for a pressure water system. I made a 12v pressurized reliance jug and it works really well. Got the idea from this Utube: . Thinking of building out with two 7gal jugs, one for cold, one for hot water, each with its own pump. Pumping water up through two bar sink holes. Folding Faucet for cold, and hand sprayer for hot. Heating the “hot” water jug with immersion heater only when heated. QD connect for hot to enable connecting longer hose for showering. Drain sink to 5 gal reservoir with hose spigot through truck floor to outside. This would give me 14 gal fresh water, and maybe carry a 3rd jug in the cab. has anybody built out this kind of system?

NOPEC

About to order a pop-up topper. Wondering whether anybody has used reliance jugs for a pressure water system. I made a 12v pressurized reliance jug and it works really well. Got the idea from this Utube: . Thinking of building out with two 7gal jugs, one for cold, one for hot water, each with its own pump. Pumping water up through two bar sink holes. Folding Faucet for cold, and hand sprayer for hot. Heating the “hot” water jug with immersion heater only when heated. QD connect for hot to enable connecting longer hose for showering. Drain sink to 5 gal reservoir with hose spigot through truck floor to outside. This would give me 14 gal fresh water, and maybe carry a 3rd jug in the cab. has anybody built out this kind of system?
Marine359

I am working on a build right now where I will be using a "Whale" brand marine imersion pump that sits on the bottom of my Reliance jugs, same size as yours. It fits perfectly through the spout. I made a dedicated waterproof insert for the screw cap that will contain the water line, the power cord and a dedicated vent hose (I closed off the standard push/pull vent plug). We do not have hot water in this project but will have a couple of the same sized jugs, so we just swap them out when empty. Whale is made in the UK, the same folks that make Propex propane appliances and they are very well reported on. The little pump is really slick and has very good lift and pressure.

The extenal pumps of the jugs in the video clip seemed a bit bulky for my likes.

Marine359

Marine359

I am working on a build right now where I will be using a "Whale" brand marine imersion pump that sits on the bottom of my Reliance jugs, same size as yours. It fits perfectly through the spout. I made a dedicated waterproof insert for the screw cap that will contain the water line, the power cord and a dedicated vent hose (I closed off the standard push/pull vent plug). We do not have hot water in this project but will have a couple of the same sized jugs, so we just swap them out when empty. Whale is made in the UK, the same folks that make Propex propane appliances and they are very well reported on. The little pump is really slick and has very good lift and pressure.

The extenal pumps of the jugs in the video clip seemed a bit bulky for my likes.
The external pump costs @$22 costs about $10 less than whale. But, please post photo of you waterproof insert you build. Maybe I’ll do my second one with the whale. Keep the first one for hot because it’s easy to get it apart to ready it for the immersion heater. And, I put a 12v plug adapter on it so it’ can be used portably with my little 300wh powerstation. Thanks.

NOPEC

The external pump costs @$22 costs about $10 less than whale. But, please post photo of you waterproof insert you build. Maybe I’ll do my second one with the whale. Keep the first one for hot because it’s easy to get it apart to ready it for the immersion heater. And, I put a 12v plug adapter on it so it’ can be used portably with my little 300wh powerstation. Thanks.

I am right in the middle of the water and sink waste part of the build so will post in a bit when I am done.

JFYI, the plug from a 2" hole saw is the perfect diameter for making a replacement lid for the Reliance cans, allowing you lots of options for a material to experiement with and eventually use. I initially was going to use HDPE but that stuff is hard to caulk so I am going with 1/8" fiberglas which will give both strength and a good gluing substrate, still leaving room for a gasket.

Once I determine the exact location and lengths of the lines going into the tank, I will join them all together with a couple applications of electrical shrink tubing over the entire bundle which will both hold them in place and also provide a rub guard in the new lid. I will use Sika to to seal any remaining voids. The PVC water line and the electrical wire are still very flexible once combined so they will fine when changing out jugs, W/O having to take anything apart except unscrewing and re-attaching the lid. cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179