Pretty Ugly... 1835, The Build Begins

Madoxen

Managed to mark out and cut the top plate for the two rear pivot plates
20210808_132524.jpg

The edges still need to be cleaned up on the mill but its there enough

20210808_133359.jpg

This one actually sits much further back but i had to cut 50mm off the 45 degree rear angles to get it where it needed to be

Last edited:

Alloy

Am I seeing this right....it was tested it with the rectangular tube verticial but it's being built with the tube horizontal?

Madoxen

Am I seeing this right....it was tested it with the rectangular tube verticial but it's being built with the tube horizontal?

Hi Alloy it was tested the same as it will be built with the same size od tube etc in the final tests shown below in pic
20210715_160516.jpg

The material used was of much lighter guage than the final build will be though.

Did this answer question or did i mis understand it?

Madoxen

Tube here looks to be vertical.

View attachment 669537

Tube here looks to be horizontal. Orienting vertically has more resiance to torsion.

View attachment 674597

Ahhh now i follow you the tube in moc set up was 75mm heigh x 50 wide

The tube i have used is 75 heigh x 125 wide.

The reason behind this is purly a max height V torsional stiffness v flex/sag resistance . See below for a comparison .
20210817_094429.jpg

I could have tryed to save weight with the 100x50 x 6 tube but decided the height and bigger allowance left on stress with equal deflection was the way to go. She was made to carry alot more load than i will ever be putting on her.
&
Due to my chassis already being massivly heigh i could not really go for anything heigher than the 75 mm and keep under my goal height of 3.7mtr all in with an acceptavle amount of head room in the hab. As with everything in these builds it is all a compramise / give n take / pleasure n pain

Alloy

Ahhh now i follow you the tube in moc set up was 75mm heigh x 50 wide

The tube i have used is 75 heigh x 125 wide.

The reason behind this is purly a max height V torsional stiffness v flex/sag resistance . See below for a comparison .
View attachment 676777

I could have tryed to save weight with the 100x50 x 6 tube but decided the height and bigger allowance left on stress with equal deflection was the way to go. She was made to carry alot more load than i will ever be putting on her.
&
Due to my chassis already being massivly heigh i could not really go for anything heigher than the 75 mm and keep under my goal height of 3.7mtr all in with an acceptavle amount of head room in the hab. As with everything in these builds it is all a compramise / give n take / pleasure n pain

Hmmm....is the "mid-piont mm" with both tubes oriented with the 75mm wall being vertical or does it compare the 125mm vertical to 75mm vertical?

Madoxen

Hmmm....is the "mid-piont mm" with both tubes oriented with the 75mm wall being vertical or does it compare the 125mm vertical to 75mm vertical?

Hey. They are both with the tube at 75mm heigh if i flipped it to 125 h it would be significantly less deflection mid point mm. In the chart it states 1st measurment is H 2nd is W and 3rd is T.

Alloy

Hey. They are both with the tube at 75mm heigh if i flipped it to 125 h it would be significantly less deflection mid point mm. In the chart it states 1st measurment is H 2nd is W and 3rd is T.

The 50% reduction in mid point deflection from the 75mm wide to 125mm wide is surprising considering there is 70% more weight. What is the span?

Madoxen

The span is 2.6 mtrs ish. I must say the numbers suprised me but i had two engineers look at them the one that did the maths for me and another just to check all drawings and numbers etc

Managed to get the 12mm plate cut today for the middle and rear pivot plates. Needs to be tidied up etc but getting there

20210819_175543.jpg

Madoxen

Have managed to get some more work done on the pivot sections.

Middle section almost all done. On the lower plate i milled a 2mm deep 12mm wide slot for the 2 plates to slot into and hold in place at exact angle.
20210826_165515.jpg
Middle and rear sections need to be flipped upside down and welded in place
20210826_165339.jpg
Running the front 100mm od 75mm id pivots through the lathe
20210827_122134.jpg
Middle and rear pivot ultrabush sat on its new home. Just need to fab the rest of the middle and rear lower housing setup
20210827_173225.jpg
M24 bolt with the 2 outer sleaves over the rear pivot plates. The bottom ultrabush is just holding the 2 plates at the 93.3mm spacing the actual placement will be much lower/higher when its flipped right way up.
20210831_161047.jpg
Front lathed pivot pin sat in place in the 12mm plate housing / still have a few more bolt holes to do.( the mill sufferd a massive problem dyring the boaring of the plate and i had to drill/cut out the rest and then die grind it to fit so not the best finish here but it worked

20210908_143058.jpg
All the bolt holes in place . The 6 upper holes seems like over kill but i had to remove 4 rivets and every hole must be bolted where a rivet was removed
20210909_115122.jpg
Next on list take the front pivot pins in place and then fab up new mounting set up for the air box and exhaust silencer as the pins push them out from the chassis byabout 60mm.

Madoxen

Ok a little progress that i find amusing the time to reward ratio feels good to get it done but when u look at it you think why did that take so long lol.

The newly re sized re fabbed air box mounts offsetting the box to clear the new front pivot while still allowing it to marrie up to the in and out ports

20210911_145854.jpg
20210918_110602.jpg

Exhaust box also stepped out for clearence and the lower mount reshaped to bolt lower down as its original location was right in the middle of the front pivot

20210918_110647.jpg

20210918_110617.jpg

The side wings for the subframe in place checking on diamentions for the vertical plate sits in correct place for the front pivots
20210918_110759.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
It's so true that the smallest things seem to take sooo long!! I've spent all weekend sanding, cleaning and sealing the exterior of our hab box and when I closed the workshop door last night, I felt like I had nothing to show for it! Keep going!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior