Price on Discoveries

jrose609

Explorer
Bought a 1997 Discovery for $2500. No rust. Never had been off-road. There are good deals out there.

Go to Discoweb. There are usually a couple for sale that are mildly built with a few off-road goodies. D2's are nice but guys complain about the electrical issues.

If you get a d1, Timmy is selling an ARB bumper ;)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
D2's are nice but guys complain about the electrical issues.

If you're really interested, delve deeper into this subject to find out if it's a real problem. From what I've seen, it's not. The earlier trucks have way more chassis electrical problems, and the engine management system is very hard to diagnose. The big issue with the D2 is the brake controller, which you could gut and still be no worse off than a D1.

weatherm

Adventurer
I paid $3500 for a 97 se7 disco 1 (top of the line) with only problem being cruise control went out $35 part :) super nice.. no rust.. imaculate condition and alot of things had already been replaced.. never off roaded .. that I could tell.. new cat converter and U-J's were fine.. couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I feel I paid about 500 to much due to my cheap nature but since we got rid of the wifes scion and no more car payment it was worth it .. a consignment deal at a dealership. It also has a totally rebuilt tranny so thats what made me spend it..

now for the engine to blow :)

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The Land Rover badge? :victory:
Ah yes, another jab at Land Rover. Last week a friend and I put nearly 1500 mile on our vehicles in the Maine North Woods, his an 88' range rover and mine a '65 SIIa. We're both home and resuming life as usual where as the Toyota FJ cruiser and the Audi (why?) we encountered that were both broken down may still not be home yet.
Icefisher, you'll be happy with any year DI as long as you take your time and choose the one in the best condition you can afford. Just remember that the newest DI is atleast 10 years old by now and many were owned by people who believed more in their status symbol than the fact that they are a machine that needs maintenance now and then. I owned a 96' (OBDII) and really didn't have any issues with it in the 100,000 + miles I owned it.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you, I'm trying not to rush into anything. It doesn't help that I'm not really finding anything near me either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12