primitive camping in Virginia

Dr_Ble

Observer
Hey Guys, I've been looking at people's photos online and am very envious of the west coasters who have tons of areas to go camping away from established tent camping sites. We are kinda limited here in Virginia. Apart from Bubbling Springs, I have looked on-line and scoured for places to primitive camp; no water, no electricity, no neighbors and we'll be bringing everything in via a 4x4. Does anyone know of such a place here in Virginia? I am NOT looking for places that have established camping sites where 6 other neighbors are visible from your site. I am looking for secluded, quiet camping. Any help or points in the right direction would be awesome!

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Their website doesn't show anything for dispersed camping. I don't think the rules have changed. If someone knows differently, please speak up.

Anywhere you could legally drive, you could camp unless it is posted spot otherwise. See http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ffroad-Teardrop-Trailer?p=1143144#post1143144 Jim65Wagon recently went and looks to be doing exactly that.

You don't list a location but Bubbling Springs is a bit south so I would recommend you look in the vicinity of Shoe Creek, Crabtree Falls or even Stoney Creek.

I am also assuming that you understand I am talking about alongside the trail/roadway and am not advocating driving off the trails.

Dr_Ble

Observer
Shoe Creek looks awesome. That's what Im talking about. Anybody camp near there? Keep em coming this is good

jim65wagon

Anywhere you go in the National Forests will be fine. There are lots of roads that are open, some are nothing more than gravel service roads, others can get quite rough. Some are open year round, some are seasonal. We spent the weekend after July 4th in GWNF on Long Run road (north of rt 33) and never saw another vehicle in the 3 days we were out. That varies though at times, especially if you go to Flagpole Knob or Meadow Knob, they tend to get some traffic once in a while.

As for where, if you're on a FR, and you see a site that has been used before (ie, it's got a fire ring, and has obviously been used by campers or hunters), camp away and enjoy! We've spent a lot of time over the last few years in GWNF and Monongahela in WV and it's rare to be disturbed by an idiot(s).

thatguysgarage

Observer
We live near Shoe Creek and its fair game lots of place to camp by the creek. on the weekends you may have people driving through during the day but that's about it.

Elbee

Adventurer
Any fire-road in a National Forest or wildlife management area usually has some good camping spots. Or get a back country permit for Shenandoah National park and camp on the edge of the parka and hike in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior