Prius camping???

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Not sure if this is viable :)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...166686688?nk=bff85cab6c645039234e08e1a775a220

686662-ff110646-8a6e-11e4-8f47-b18d3c6f9654.jpg

917582-db257a82-8a6e-11e4-8f47-b18d3c6f9654.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
My friend was thinking of working on his to camp in the summer at race locations (triathlon and bike) since you can run the AC all night and the car will turn on/off as needed. He never got around to it since he also has a Cowboy Camper on the back of a Dodge 3500 with AC and a generator ; )

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The first one is better since he took everything that the prius stands for and got rid of it, soulless style, bland handling, semi good milage. He trashed it all with that cabin built on it. I want to shake his hand.

SuperTrooper

Observer
They are actually pretty practical vehicles. I use one as my DD/commuter. The hatch area is very cavernous; it's nice to be able to throw my mountain bike in the back without taking off the wheel or anything. Yes, it's bland, boring to drive, etc but it's cheap to operate and highly practical.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
They are actually pretty practical vehicles. I use one as my DD/commuter. The hatch area is very cavernous; it's nice to be able to throw my mountain bike in the back without taking off the wheel or anything. Yes, it's bland, boring to drive, etc but it's cheap to operate and highly practical.

They are practical, however, MOST people buy them to be tree huggin twats. Not because its practical. But you can get just as good mileage from NON hybrid technology now, have a much better car, and help the environment just as much. But what is funny about the CELEBs and tree huggers is they do not care about how much damage that is done in one part of the world, as long as its not theirs.

amo292

Adventurer
I would drive a prius if they weren't so damn ugly. They are perfect for an area like mine where the speed limit is never higher than 45. I have always thought about doing a camping setup with one for cross country travel but then have always been turned to more practical cars such as tdi wagons and others with 35 highway mpg and all wheel drive. Im pretty sure when you put a house on your prius you negate all the efficiency they were intended to get....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
They are practical, however, MOST people buy them to be tree huggin twats. Not because its practical. But you can get just as good mileage from NON hybrid technology now, have a much better car, and help the environment just as much. But what is funny about the CELEBs and tree huggers is they do not care about how much damage that is done in one part of the world, as long as its not theirs.

Your so stuck in 2009 dude. Do you live in Appalachia and cook up your own moon shine? Tesla S's are like Honda civics around here these days. Prius is just cheap reliable commuter car. Our small local taxi company runs them because they get 350,000 service miles out of them and parts are easy to get. BTW they just put new engines in them at 350k and keep running them, cheaper than getting another medalion assigned to a new car and setting it up as a taxi.

Skinny

Hybrid technology only really works for city and rural folk who spend a lot of time in traffic or slow speed commutes. I personally love seeing these guys tool down the highway under the speed limit staring at the display. Cars requiring fuel will only get so much in economy from an internal combustion engine. The only advantage a Prius has is aerodynamics, certainly not weight savings. Zero gain really for driving down the highway. City on the other hand, you'd be crazy not to own one.

I will say that marketing has really pulled the sheet over us. They keep claiming of increased fuel economy every year. Why is it that entry level economy cars are getting the same if not worse economy than my 97' Corolla I owned years ago? Sure power is up alittle but nothing to tought over in something aimed at 40mpg. Keep tacking on luxury items like auto climate and nav. Combined with more airbags, these things are only getting heavier.

I personally do not like the Prius but it sure did pave the way for the technology within that segment. This makes everyone win...including the planet :)

Now if I could just find the article about Googlemaps taking down images which exposed how Toyota destroyed certain areas mining for precious metals...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hybrid technology only really works for city and rural folk who spend a lot of time in traffic or slow speed commutes. I personally love seeing these guys tool down the highway under the speed limit staring at the display. Cars requiring fuel will only get so much in economy from an internal combustion engine. The only advantage a Prius has is aerodynamics, certainly not weight savings. Zero gain really for driving down the highway. City on the other hand, you'd be crazy not to own one.

I will say that marketing has really pulled the sheet over us. They keep claiming of increased fuel economy every year. Why is it that entry level economy cars are getting the same if not worse economy than my 97' Corolla I owned years ago? Sure power is up alittle but nothing to tought over in something aimed at 40mpg. Keep tacking on luxury items like auto climate and nav. Combined with more airbags, these things are only getting heavier.

I personally do not like the Prius but it sure did pave the way for the technology within that segment. This makes everyone win...including the planet :)

Now if I could just find the article about Googlemaps taking down images which exposed how Toyota destroyed certain areas mining for precious metals...

Simple weight gain in safety and crash gear / design and hp increases. We got 50mpg in our non turbo vw diesel in 1980, but a honda civic today would blow the doors off that 62hp slug and the civic weighs considerably more also.

Skinny

I think that is the point. Things are so skewed towards luxury and performance yet the market complains about fuel consumption being the biggest issue. We want our cake and eat it too.

I do think pre 07' diesel economy cars like the VW Tdi cars really had everything dialed in with performance and economy. That all died with the particulate cats and DEF came into the scene. On the gas side, I think late 90's is when we reached the peak before cars just jumped drastically in size. A slim car with good EFI and 5 or 6 speed transmissions is a good combination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater