Private Sale: 1990 Camel Trophy Defender 110. 200 TDI.

Kardec

I could take this seriously ...

... drop me a PM. If I can get free I'll come up and take a look at her.

Thanks!

Ronct110

Adventurer
PM sent.

I can pick you up @ the airport (Oakland Airport is nearest to me) when we can sync up our schedules.

Look forward to meeting you.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ronct110

Adventurer
... drop me a PM. If I can get free I'll come up and take a look at her.

Thanks!

Good talking to you.

I have to run to work, and will post more pics; one interior shot (more to come), dusty, need detailing, just wanted to show LHD and comes w/repair manual and supplies of spare parts/maint supplies e.g. doz 200 TDI air cleaner. Also in the pic, front wooden panel just needs to be tucked in, lil squarely right now. Not an issue. Also recent alignment done - steering wheel in the pic was turned to the left after parking.
C yah!

And a snap shot this morning next to our family 04 DII w/2" lift (fun shot). Spare tire on the front avail; took it off for better visibility. Also you can tell Husky winch is used a bit.

Also more pictures to come.... I will pull and provide all the receipts and service history, can't remember the name of the shop in WA who installed the new 200 TDI (today only has less 10k miles since new engine) Turner Engineering, R380, and LT230 from Ashcroft...; forgetting other things also (receipts will show names/details) like HD Rovertracks steering rod installed, Hella work light/reverse light installed....

Attachments

• DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

Ronct110

Adventurer
Finally got it detailed, and 360 degree photos taken; nice work by my local detail shop.

Not shown in the photo is the spare tire that goes on the hood (stored in the garage when only traveling in town)

Also Kilometers speedo has been coverted to Miles when newly installed 200 TDI was put in (less 10,000 in the new engine as you can see in the photo). Still have the original speedo in Kilometers if you want to put it back.

Registration just paid good till July 2012; have not put on the new green sticker (just got it in the mail); also waiting to turn in special NCLR plate for regular lic plate number.

FYI: Ran two fill-ups of bio-diesel; but in my area, the price is higher than regular diesel so I gave up on bio.

I also add/use Lucas cylinder lubricant w/injector cleaner & fuel conditioner every 2-3 fill-ups. Oil & filter change every 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.

Comes with spare parts e.g. new spare water pump, new starter soleniod... and plenty of supplies of maintenance items e.g. 10x 200 TDI air filter....

Attachments

• DSC_0157.JPG
    DSC_0157.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_0158.JPG
    DSC_0158.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0159.JPG
    DSC_0159.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC_0160.JPG
    DSC_0160.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC_0161.JPG
    DSC_0161.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC_0163.JPG
    DSC_0163.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0164.JPG
    DSC_0164.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC_0165.JPG
    DSC_0165.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0167.JPG
    DSC_0167.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_0173.JPG
    DSC_0173.JPG
    416.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Kardec

I recently inspected this vehicle and was very impressed. I can hardly believe I decided not to buy it but logic finally prevailed and I told Ron that I would have to pass.

First, my reasons for not buying so that others can decide if these mean anything to them or not. I am 6'4" and have fairly broad and bony shoulders. Given the distance I have to put the seat back the roll cage is in contact with my left shoulder all the time, pushing it forward. It doesn't make for a pleasant driving experience and to make it more of an issue I'm just getting over a rotater cuff problem on that side. I've driven 110s before but, if memory serves they didn't have a cage (it was in Australia) or the cage was located in a different spot. Second, I have a great garage but almost no other place to park this vehicle and with the roof rack and all it wouldn't fit. In many ways this is the cheapest legitimate 110 in CA so, believe me, I considered removing the rack and trying to reconfigure the cage ... but it's also kind of a historic vehicle and once I did that my tendency to just keep "improving things" would take over.

So, I didn't buy it.

The following, however, might help someone else decide whether or not they might want it. So here it goes -- I spent a fair amount of time under it and poking around in the interior and under the hood. I am not Mr. Rust-O-Vision but it seemed very clean ... nothing to be concerned about whatsoever. Recognize that Rust-O-Vision or not I am a Southern Californian and have absolutely no tolerance for rot. It creeps me out. This truck looked very good. It's not showroom. It's been through Siberia fer Chrissake. But it's damn clean nonetheless!

Driving: It ran smoothly and well, the installation of the new 200tdi was done by Gord'n at Lamorna Garage in Seattle. I know him sightly and he does good work, the guru of the Northwest Rover mechanics. A 200tdi in a 110 is not powerful by American standards but compared, let's say, to either of the 2F Land Cruisers I have owned it was sprightly. It also compared very favorably to an FJ60 I just drove with a 2.8 Powerstroke installed. You might gear down as a hill arrives but I never felt I was driving the gutless wonder. It's an older vehicle design, I am constantly reminded that the new Ford V6 that is the economy engine in the 2011 Mustang makes about as much power as a 1965 Shelby GT-350 and puts that power to the pavement better (the car is probably heavier but that's another story), at least the 110 is a BIG vehicle that gets 25mpgs. The breaks were good and I was re-impressed with the handling of the Defenders. The previously mentioned FJ60 was downright scary on the freeway interchange curves at 60 mph (it had a roof rack and tent) but the Defender handles damn good for what it is. I said what we all know, that it was an older design, but it also has a pretty modern suspension compared with other trucks of the era. Basically, it goes where you point it, even at 60, while breaking.

On the downside, it's loud ... no surprises there. The auxiliary tank doesn't work, that should be a pretty cheap fix. The gearshift shakes a bit when 1st is engaged but the clutch hooks up nicely and there are no odd noises.

Ron has the DOT and EPA stickers. He has a good deal of the paperwork. The Registered Importer that was used to bring in the truck is (I believe) the oldest in California, that they are still in business suggests that they do their job correctly. I called another importer to ask a few questions about buying a gray market car and he told me that he believed he knew about the 110 I was interested in and that the vehicle was known, even on the East Coast as one of the very few from that era that was imported correctly.

I did not confirm that it was an actual Camel Trophy vehicle but I suspect that the first US owner didn't go through two plus years of trouble just to import a copy.

If anybody wants a second opinion about this Defender I'm ready and willing to help out.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Beau,

Pleasure meeting you; thanks for the comments.

Here's a picture to remember: extra-ordinary vehicle meets extra-ordinary vehicle; hope to see you in the Earthroamer again up in N. Cal for a visit/join a trail run one of these days - and burger on the grill well done w/onions waiting for you. :chef:

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSC_1053.JPG
    DSC_1053.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 180

Ronct110

Adventurer
I think with a Defender design concept like this in the future; I may just decide to keep the Camel Trophy 110 and just down size other vehicles in my fleet!

Seems we may not see the boxy utilitarian/working vehicle in the past anymore; LR wants to sell more cars built for speed (just check out those 20-22" rims), and not off-road.

_55044027_land-new.jpg

Ronct110

Adventurer
Had some interest here and there, but no buyer that pulled the trigger.

Actually, it's a good thing; been thinking about it now; it's a special vehicle, and with the "out of touch with the 4x4 community" new design/design concepts coming out of LR", decided to keep it. Not for Sale Anymore. Will just sell one of the other LRs in my fleet to keep the # manage-able.

Also as a side note (my 9 yr old eldest son and I are sci-fi movie buff), he asked me the other day (after watching one of these "end of the civilization" type movie) which of our vehicles would be disabled by Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). Joking I said, your mother's brand new Subaru - it would be disabled dead on its track heading to the mall (lol). Also our 2004 DII, and 1990 Range Rover Classic. However, told him the one which doesn't rely on electronic ignition and runs on diesel would be our older Defender running on 200TDI. He said keep it. I said "ok".

That's my excuse and I am sticking with it (lol). I have a post TEOTWAWKI vehicle (grin).

Cheers!

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
totally understand- I am consulting the 5yo on all vehicles at this point!!
Good decision by the way, from someone who did the opposite...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78