Pro-4x or standard?

kevin

Observer
Looking for a little advice. I want to buy a 2011 Frontier. I have narrowed it down to 2 similar vehicles. Price, Miles, and options are the same except one is a long bed, (6ft). The other is a short bed (5.5ft) but a pro-4x. What are your thoughts. Is the Pro-4x package worth the loss of cargo room? any advice would be apreciated. Thanks.

mike r

Adventurer
The E-locker on the pro-4x is handy to get you out of some sticky situations.
The short bed has a big turning circle, so imagine the long bed

Darius379

I dont have the fronty but i have the pro 4 x xterra love it the only thing i wish i had was a little more room. The baby seat is huge so it doesn't let the passenger seat lean comfortably. So i you have babies or plan on it go with the titan. I planned on keeping this 2011 for 5 years but it feels like i already grew out of it. This is bigger inside rhan my trailblazer was tho, so i have a little more room. Pro 4 x all the way tho worth the xtra money.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Depends what you are looking to do with it. If the proX comes with a locker and you want to do a good bit off roading for me it'll be worth even paying extra for it! However, what would another half a foot (6in) of bed length give you that you can't live without?

Allof75

Pathfinder
I say go for the Pro-4x. A bed extender would probably make up the bed downgrade. Toss that in when you get it And you'll have the length of the longbed with the 4x's capability boost and a shorter wheelbase. Good luck!

Mack4

Adventurer
Can you not get the Frontier Pro-4x in a longbed? The Nissan Titan used to have that option on its 7' longbed option.

Remember a open/limited slip 4x4 system will send the bulk of the power to the tire with the least amount of resistance. A locker will prevent you from just spinning a single back tire while the other remains motionless.

For me the locker option on the Titan was one of the main reasons I went with a Nissan instead of staying with the Toyota Tundra.

My old pickup would get stranded by the limited slip rear differential on a regular basis. Even with the light application of the parking brake.

170_624877573254_8116_n.jpg

The Titan has no such problems and in 4Lo with the Locker engaged can motor out of the same situation without excessive wheel spin, which can lead to parts failure.

-Mack

bender031

Keep in mind the crew cab short bed is actually not quite 5 feet ( 59.5") so its actually a full foot shorter than the long bed. I have an 11 Pro-4x and it is great, tires are terrible though (stock BFG rugged trails). Bilstiens are firm but ride well off-road. locker is nice to have. Interior is also unique to the Pro-4x. You cannot get a long-bed Pro-4x.

sdemarcus

I would spend the money on the pro4x i had an 05 nismo frontier and just traded for a 12 titan pro4x the e locker is worth it if you don't by the pro 4x you will regret it latter. Just my thoughts good luck

ryandavenport

Adventurer
This is what I did for mind. It used to be a whole lot more difficult to find an OR or Pro-4X model, so I am upgrading to a locker. I have an Xterra though, but the locker would be even more beneficial on something with a longer wheelbase such as a Frontier.

Mack4

Adventurer
ARB makes a locker now too ;)

Anyone else have problems with these?

I had one installed in my Purple Tundra and the solenoid kept burning up, air lines ruptured and the compressor would get stuck wide open when I actuated the locker, often without the locker actually engaging.

-Mack

adam_steinbring

I have a 2007 Frontier, Crewcab long bed non-Pro4x, I love it, but the turning radius is brutal. It is not for technical trails but the extra length makes it handle great on long travels. Longer wheelbase= Better on highway/long trails, terrible turning radius.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I have a 2007 Frontier, Crewcab long bed non-Pro4x, I love it, but the turning radius is brutal. It is not for technical trails but the extra length makes it handle great on long travels. Longer wheelbase= Better on highway/long trails, terrible turning radius.

I can only imagine the turning radius on a long bed. My CCSB takes ten acres to turn around. It is so bad that my passengers even notice and comment! It just takes some getting used to, I've gotten A LOT better at parking it!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
A good friend of mine has the Frontier Pro 4X. It is great offroad even at stock height. We took it to Moab and the locker is great. The hill decent control takes a little getting used to. If you are short enough to sleep in a six foot bed then maybe the non Pro 4X and then the ARB locker would be a good idea, but if you can't fit in a six foot bed then there is not a hole lot of a benefit. Especially if you are planning to go off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger