Pro and con of full size

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
As usual, Metcalf has nailed it. If you want to go "hardcore" then you may want something smaller, but then you'll most likely be cramped and overloaded won't you??

I did a 13 day trip out of a flat fender solo.....

That was over 2000 miles of road travel and 300 miles of spring snow off road driving. The vehicle WITH me in it was 3460lbs total. The bare vehicle weight is just under 3000lbs. I am just about 180. So I had about 300lbs of gear total. That included my tool bag, air compressor, recovery kit, spare parts bag, 15 gallons of fuel in 5 gallon cans, tow strap, jumper cables, food for 5+ days, 5+ gallons of water, and enough clothes for freezing conditions....

You just have to pack and act accordingly. I had everything I needed.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I did a 13 day trip out of a flat fender solo.....

That was over 2000 miles of road travel and 300 miles of spring snow off road driving. The vehicle WITH me in it was 3460lbs total. The bare vehicle weight is just under 3000lbs. I am just about 180. So I had about 300lbs of gear total. That included my tool bag, air compressor, recovery kit, spare parts bag, 15 gallons of fuel in 5 gallon cans, tow strap, jumper cables, food for 5+ days, 5+ gallons of water, and enough clothes for freezing conditions....

You just have to pack and act accordingly. I had everything I needed.

I think this is comparing apples and elephants. As is evidenced by the many people who travel extensively on only two wheels and pack even lighter than you have described, it's easily "doable". I could personally live out of a rucksack for 5 days if I had to. The problem is when you bring an adult companion, a child or two and a dog, then your quantity of gear increases exponentially.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I think this is comparing apples and elephants. As is evidenced by the many people who travel extensively on only two wheels and pack even lighter than you have described, it's easily "doable". I could personally live out of a rucksack for 5 days if I had to. The problem is when you bring an adult companion, a child or two and a dog, then your quantity of gear increases exponentially.

Totally agree. I can barely fit the family in my wifes escape after just going grocery shopping.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

For sure, but in general, peoples expectations of the amount of gear a given vehicle can carry is overrated. You need to be careful not to overload the vehicle with all the STUFF you are taking. In my opinion people need to start paying more attention to how much gear they are taking and what there vehicles can carry. Maybe people want to take too small a vehicle and overload it with people and gear. You need to PACK accordingly for your vehicle. Just because you have 4 or 5 seats in the vehicle doesn't mean you can instantly take 4 or 5 people and all the gear they require without grossly overloading the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle