Probably asked 100 times, what’s the best economical off-road jack, no hi-lift style

zimm

Expedition Leader
For 2" lift plus 35's i used a hightlift or a bottle jack with some cribbing depending on the situation, the jacks and suff were in a drawer. I think maybe it all depends on where you want to store it. Whats wrong with the stock jack? You think it'll be a collectors item someday? :)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
For 2" lift plus 35's i used a hightlift or a bottle jack with some cribbing depending on the situation, the jacks and suff were in a drawer. I think maybe it all depends on where you want to store it. Whats wrong with the stock jack? You think it'll be a collectors item someday? :)
Stock doesn’t look like it has much reach. I’m probably anal- the Jack and tool kit look new so I was going to leave it that way.?

VanWaLife

Well I like the Safe Jack product line. They sell a base that will make bottle jacks and hi lifts much more stable, and bottle jacks / jack stands with extensions to accommodate various heights. Only economical if they help you avoid an expensive tow or a broken foot. Otherwise they seem overpriced.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Although not an LC, our 4Runner and Jeep OEM jacks are plenty suitable even with the small suspension and tire lifts. They weigh little and store small. The base is the only concern. So far, we've always found level enough ground. I've only heard horror stories and annoying storage/rattling/rusting issues with hi-lift ones. I'd choose a bottle if I was changing.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'm on team bottle jack as well. I bring 2 pieces of super thick (6-8 inches thick I'd say) wooden beam from when we re modeled the house on every trip. Haven't ever used them with the bottle jack but they usually come in handy one way or another.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just throwing in my $0.02 on factory jack + carrying a stack of Jenga cribbing. It's nice to have a few blocks for lots of stuff anyway, parking on to level your truck for sleeping, using for recovery, a make-shift chock, firewood in a real pinch.

The alternative is carrying a floor jack, which takes up just as much space as half a dozen lengths of 2x4 would anyway, or an exhaust jack.

FWIW, I do carry a Hi-Lift adapter that fits in my wheels and mostly use that over a bottle jack for things other than changing a flat.

srsrogerissrs

I carry one of these. They're a little cumbersome compared to a bottle jack but has a nice stable base and it doubles as a stand and jack.
815kesovAzL.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For how often you will use it to change a tire in the field... why add the weight or spend the money on anything else, plus the factory jack fits in a dedicated space not valuable for any other use.

Agreed, if (and it's a BIG if), the factory jack will lift any of the four wheels with your current tire/suspension setup. With upsize tires, etc., sometimes one needs more throw than the factory jack.

That said, when you've got a big squishy tire that's gone VERY flat on uneven ground, sometimes the only jack that's going to fit under the axle is a little scissor jack. (Or maybe one of the mini aluminum floor jacks converted with a skid-plate like the Baja guys do.)
I was running a Safe Jack/bottle jack setup in our old van for a while, but realized the minimum height of the bottle jack was occasionally a problem, so swapped back to the factory scissor jack.

In our current truck, I have the space for both (scissor and bottle), and the factory jack isn't very heavy, so I keep both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior