Problems with BFG ATs?

Guinness44

Adventurer
Low trailpressure: an Australian magazine had an article and run a streetinflated tire over a reebar, then same at trailpressure. The trailpressure tire did not puncuture, like the streetinflated one. The tire does fold over sharp stuff better. The only time we had a sidewall totally go out: drove the Ram into a rock, saw it too late. A heavy vehicle, as in fullsized, or heavy loeaded expo trucks, does not "bounce" off anything, it will kill the tire instead. (Our TJ would have just bounced).

Airing down is still better: save the tread, save the suspension, MUCH better traction, save the drivetrain.

BFG: we have been running them forever. So far very good. (Not like the Yokos, which constantly had treadpunctures, once worn down.) BUT any tire can get damaged by sticks, roots, Mesquitethorns, sharp rocks. We have damaged one sidewall on the Spike in Moab, and run two more days, with a very slow leak. Drove it up Hells Gate, and looked the next day. Inside the damage was 2 inches long, could not believe it held up, up that Gate... tough tire. (Passenger side, most of that was driven on that sidewall).

Isnt the BFG BAJA, the only one that does best for sidewall (meaning just about as tough as the treadarea?)

Poorboyota26

Adventurer
How do those Simex tires do? I'd like to try a set. Been running BFG's for 2 yrs (40k miles) now without a hitch and it's about time to get a new set.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have been running BFG ATs on my 4Runners for 10 years now. I just put 3 new ones on today. One had a side wall cut from my last trip which was replaced under road hazard warranty and two others were replaced due to high mileage that began to chunk.

I have found that on the Arizona sharp rocky back roads, they work extremely well when new but as the tires get older, they become susceptible to chunking pieces of the tread off the tire under extreme conditions. I am usually towing a 2500 LB off road trailer up hills with lose sharp rocks and I don't think any tire would survive long term in those conditions.

Bottom line, I have been very happy with BFGs and continue to use them.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Low trailpressure: an Australian magazine had an article and run a streetinflated tire over a reebar, then same at trailpressure. The trailpressure tire did not puncuture, like the streetinflated one. The tire does fold over sharp stuff better. The only time we had a sidewall totally go out: drove the Ram into a rock, saw it too late. A heavy vehicle, as in fullsized, or heavy loeaded expo trucks, does not "bounce" off anything, it will kill the tire instead. (Our TJ would have just bounced).

Airing down is still better: save the tread, save the suspension, MUCH better traction, save the drivetrain.
Hum, completely contrary to my 20-odd years of desert off road driving and off road racing experience. I have witnessed tires killed by those who air down and then drive at reasonable to totally unreasonable speeds.
I run a fair number of people telling me that I should air down, but airing down is not the universal solution to all off pavement driving conditions that it is sold as. I air down when necessary but otherwise run my street tire pressure. I can't and won't claim any experience in wet or snowy conditions, those may need a completely different approach.
That one sidewall rip that I mentioned earlier? It occurred while aired down to 10 psi on a ~1800 lbs vehicle in sharp rocks. This is us in Odessa Cyn (Calico Mtns, CA) starting to change the left rear tire:
Odessa1.jpg

IMHO airing down to go any faster than a walk is a sure indicator of a poor performing suspension and I'll admit to having my share of those.

Radio

Observer
I've had a good run with my BFG ATs. Best tire I've owned, and they go everywhere I go...:smiley_drive:
But, I must ask... the chalk test? What is that?

roadkill

Adventurer
chalk the tire tread then drive a few feet and see how much chalk is left on the tire. its used to check for proper inflation via the foot print. you should be able to see if your over or under inflated depending on where the chalk is wearing off of the tire

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
chalk the tire tread then drive a few feet and see how much chalk is left on the tire. its used to check for proper inflation via the foot print. you should be able to see if your over or under inflated depending on where the chalk is wearing off of the tire

Right-On RoadKill!

red87

Adventurer
I broke the belts in the sidewall of mine but I think that was more operator error than a tire issue. I nailed a head sized rock with that tire hard enough to bend the lip of the rim and for some reason the 7 yr old tire broke.

shahram

Adventurer
I've had five sets of AT/KOs, running at least 85k miles on each, getting 100k miles out of the last set, and in that time, never got a single puncture. I love those tires.

clintr

BFG sucks

I always ran BFG A/T for years. The last set I had, I let sit in my garage for 2 weeks and drove my mazda. When I finally drove my 4runner there was that thumping sound, MMMM, a flat spot. I drove my 4runner for about 1000 miles, hoping to smooth out the flat spot. Needless to say the flat spot never went away. I called BFG customer service and told them that I had only 33,000 miles on the tires and now have flat spots. Customer service essentially said tuff luck and to buy new tires. The problem was that I could not tell which tires were bad so I would have to purchase 4 new tires. So there was no help, no discounts offered, nothing. So now I tell everyone who ask about BFG and say that the tires suck. But this is a good thing as I went out and bought TOYO open country MT and have to say that this is the best tire ever and well worth the price. I guess the tires are like my 4runner, Made in Japan, the best! The Toyo's are quiet, smooth, aggressive tread, great street manners, deep sipes for rain, just very well built. I was really disappointed in BFG because my last set of KO's lasted 72,000 miles, so my tread wear was only half used.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I always ran BFG A/T for years. The last set I had, I let sit in my garage for 2 weeks and drove my mazda. When I finally drove my 4runner there was that thumping sound, MMMM, a flat spot. I drove my 4runner for about 1000 miles, hoping to smooth out the flat spot. Needless to say the flat spot never went away. I called BFG customer service and told them that I had only 33,000 miles on the tires and now have flat spots. Customer service essentially said tuff luck and to buy new tires. The problem was that I could not tell which tires were bad so I would have to purchase 4 new tires. So there was no help, no discounts offered, nothing. So now I tell everyone who ask about BFG and say that the tires suck. But this is a good thing as I went out and bought TOYO open country MT and have to say that this is the best tire ever and well worth the price. I guess the tires are like my 4runner, Made in Japan, the best! The Toyo's are quiet, smooth, aggressive tread, great street manners, deep sipes for rain, just very well built. I was really disappointed in BFG because my last set of KO's lasted 72,000 miles, so my tread wear was only half used.

As soon as you spotted the flat spot you should have taken them in to a BFG dealer and they may have helped you. Flat spots can also be due to improper balancing, poor alignment, etc. If you call BFG customer service and ask to speak to a manager, things might be better...try honey instead of vinegar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior