Project: 1999 E150 Conversion Van

MichiganSheepdog

Ham Adventurer
I have just recently acquired a 1999 Ford Econoline Conversion and will be working on getting it to 4x4 and various other mods in the future. I wanted to share what the van looks like now and will be using this post for my build progress. Here are some pics of what I have to start with.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/DGary/Ford Econoline/

What do you guys/gals think? I traded my 1997 Dodge Grand caravan for it even trade.

Last edited:

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I think you got the better end of the trade! Welcome to the Ford van club, I love my E350 but hate the price of diesel here in SoCal. Everywhere I see its $4.19 to $4.32 per gallon, but I have a station around the corner from my house thats $4.5 as long as you pay cash. The only thing you'll miss about your GC is the mileage!

MichiganSheepdog

Ham Adventurer
Thanks Guys! Hey what is the proper term of the top when searching online? I've heard them called many things and would like to do something like you've got DSW. I've done quite abit of FG work in the past and if I had to do a custom mold I guess I could but if I could find one cheap............

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Looks like a e150 if it is a e150 it will have 5 lug rims. You can score a junk yard top and use that to make a pop top out of that. You can go to fiberine.com and look at tops. But a junkyard score would be your best bet.

MichiganSheepdog

Ham Adventurer
Found my book tucked up in the engine cover cubbyhole and it is an E150
Yeah I've seen WWW.Fiberine.com and the Super Camper is pretty bad *** but not sure if I'd want to go that tall.
Full_Size_Van_Tops.html

Last edited:

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Closer to you is summit fiberglass website sucks but shipping would be less.
They have a lot of tops available that are not on the web site you have to call to get pictures.
Derek

MichiganSheepdog

Ham Adventurer
Minor Update

Figured I'd post this here first then find the other area for posting. Anyways...
I removed the center TV console, I'm looking at drop down monitors for future thought.
In this pic you can see where it was.
I am going to be selling the unit to anyone who would like them for their build.
Here are some pics of the unit out of the van(Cell Pics may be blurry Sorry)
13" Audiovox color DC powered TV

Looking at offers so let me know.

MichiganSheepdog

Ham Adventurer
Update 3/24/11

Hey all,
Been putting things off on the van due to the big move from an apartment to a house which I am totally stoked. I have decided to go ahead and remove the factory side steps for now and I am in hopes that there isn't too much rust under them. I'll be doing that weather permitting on 4/2 so ill take some shots of before and after. I did the math on the gas mileage and low and behold its getting right around 13-14 mpg which is great for the year and the mileage of around 126000+ The van is in need of a tune up so maybe the gas mileage will get a little better after that. Has anyone put a snorkel on their van? I was thinking it might free up some space under the hood. I may even get a chance to start on the sink/cabinet during that weekend as well.
Also another thought on the topper portion of the build, I was thinking about finding a FG top for a pick up and cutting it down to the right height and width but I'm not sure yet Ill have to think a little more on that one.

MichiganSheepdog

Ham Adventurer
Update

Well I removed the FG running boards tonight Ill have to get some pics during the day tomorrow.
Question: Is there a quick way to lift an E150 to put 31" tires under it without having to buy a $2000 lift kit? I dont need 6" of lift for 33"+

1sweetvan

Adventurer
You should be able to use front spring spacers, intended for the F - Series, for about 2" of lift. After that you will have alignment issues.

r_w

Adventurer
You should be able to use front spring spacers, intended for the F - Series, for about 2" of lift. After that you will have alignment issues.

Or "in the coil" air bags. They will stiffen the ride, spacers keep it about the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears