Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That much gauge sweep you might actually be able to see the needle moving when you really push that 460.
i'm not sure if that would be cool or terrifying.

Haha! Exactly what I was thinking.....if you go fast enough it becomes a fan! :sombrero:

Just mod the guage so you get the sound of a cash register at WOT. My old 400 Firebird was like that. Open those huge secondaries and watch the fuel gauge go down. That part of it I don't miss.

firebird.jpg

Those vents would be interesting. Are they 3-4"? They look YUGE. If the whole thing could be rigged to spin you'd get the ability to aim the airflow about anywhere, instead of just up and down.
So aluminum bezels and some sort of wood.

If you want those kinds of swoop curves, pressure-sensitive-adhesive (PSA) -backed veneers would be best, but again I don't know if they can take ~140deg heat. I have some nice oak veneer scraps laying about from my kitchen remodel, I can work up some sample curved pieces, affix the veneer and leave them up on the dash in my black Suburban oven and see how they fare.

My first thought too, believe me. :friday:

Totally swamped with PR's this week but looking forward to Expo this weekend. Anyone else going?

Got to love those 460s though! Transplanted a 460 into my Bronco for extra torque for towing along with the ZF 5 speed. Dana 60 upfront and a Sterling 10.5 in the back. Just a very mild upgrade when I had it built. 10mpg on a good day if I keep my foot out of it.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Got to love those 460s though! Transplanted a 460 into my Bronco for extra torque for towing along with the ZF 5 speed. Dana 60 upfront and a Sterling 10.5 in the back. Just a very mild upgrade when I had it built. 10mpg on a good day if I keep my foot out of it.

I have that same driveline. I go long distances on the highway. I've learned to stick it in overdrive, set the cruise, and let it snack. I will be spending some time on aerodynamics once the project gets farther along.

Seabass

Idiot
Yeah....I can squeeze 10.5 mpg outta my work truck if I keep it under 65 (more like 60). If I try to cruise 70 I can't touch 10mpg. The 4.10's and all the tools and work gear don't make for fuel economy. Thankfully I got a hand shaker instead of a slush box- probably only get 6 or 7! But I don't mind- she runs like a boss!!!! ☕️
f73354fe97ba831b26e1a989a6f64189.jpg
224874d2a3480997938be5e2f08a590a.jpg
But honestly.....what part of that says "fuel efficient".....?!

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Sat around with Gary and Mark at the Offroad Expo in Pomona. I drank all of Mark's beer and got to see the Overland Explorer trailer in person; so nice! The fit and finish is something I can only aspire to. I love the simplicity of design, that is the hardest thing to attain. It makes me question my own direction. It would be real easy to tow this behind a prerunner. They had huge crowds in the booth all day!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
When I was at the Expo I stopped into the Vision-X booth to see if they had anything new. I wish I could spill the beans, but I promised not to. All I can say is, they have some really cool stuff that they are releasing at the SEMA show. It got me thinking that I have been running Vision-X lighting for 10 years now. The same lights I put on my Colorado prerunner are still in perfect shape and I've had zero issues with them. When I look back at all the stuff that I have broken or replaced over the years, that's pretty amazing. I was drawn to Vision-X in the first place because a friend of mine who works in the mining industry recommended them. They use them in some very harsh environments around the world. When I needed lights for my F-350, I went with led technology from Vision-X and am looking forward to running these lights for the next decade plus. People look at the price, me included, but my choice was value. I scrimp and repurpose so I can afford to buy the products I know will last a long time and give me value for my money. I've been building cars and trucks of all types since I was a teenager. The best lesson you can learn is that it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

My Colorado I built in 2006. This truck has seen thousands of offroad miles in the southwest and Mexico.

The led's I have on the Ford are even more durable and draw less power. I can't wait to get my tantrum kit mounted to the uhaul box.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Thanks Java, Some from the race. Very hot and dusty; NO WIND! Took my shirt off on Sunday and wrung out the sweat. Not fun. Met a fellow Expo member Mark. He was out working on the course.

Desert_Roaming

Thanks for the picture Mike. Nice meeting you and shooting the breeze. I've admired your truck at the races quite a few times. I thought my truck was big for some of the remote spots we go, then I bump into your ride and realize you have already been there with your 4 door. :Wow1:

The heat was intense for October even in the shade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78