Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I had a very interesting race weekend at V2R. As soon as I get some information, I will do a short write-up of my new discovery.

Vision-X lighting the way.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Time for some fresh Maxima. I put my truck through a lot of torture and high temps, nothing but the best protection will do. I use their engine oil, trans fluid, gear oil and Coolanol coolant.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Any updates? Which part of the course? Near Area 51?

Curious minds want to hear more.

I stumbled upon something very interesting. Not trying to be mysterious but I am waiting to hear back from some experts about the how and why it works. BTW, nothing to do with area 51. :box:

Got Beer

Observer
Here is a link to my story for UTV Sports Magazine about the UTV race at Vegas to Reno. It starts on page 72 http://utvsportsmag.com/digital-mag...paign=UTV+Vol2-Issue9+Email1&utm_medium=email

Great story, thanks for sharing the link. Terrific photographs; really brings back the memories and feeling of the Nevada desert. Your scouting efforts or just years of experience show, what great and interesting vantage points to capture the images. Beautiful photos with engaging settings.

As an aside, one of the vehicles I was chasing (Toyota TT Spec truck) was a couple of cars behind the Cognito UTV at the finish. As Cognito was a champagne finisher, they held up the podium interviews waiting for the corrected time to elapse to the next UTV. So after a long day, we stood around the rodeo grounds late at night waiting for time to pass before we could get to our drivers and get the truck on the trailer. Had I known of your assignment, I would have snapped some pictures of the Cognito celebration for you. All good, the rodeo grounds are becoming pretty comfortable for cat napping waiting for the trucks to come in.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Great story, thanks for sharing the link. Terrific photographs; really brings back the memories and feeling of the Nevada desert. Your scouting efforts or just years of experience show, what great and interesting vantage points to capture the images. Beautiful photos with engaging settings.

As an aside, one of the vehicles I was chasing (Toyota TT Spec truck) was a couple of cars behind the Cognito UTV at the finish. As Cognito was a champagne finisher, they held up the podium interviews waiting for the corrected time to elapse to the next UTV. So after a long day, we stood around the rodeo grounds late at night waiting for time to pass before we could get to our drivers and get the truck on the trailer. Had I known of your assignment, I would have snapped some pictures of the Cognito celebration for you. All good, the rodeo grounds are becoming pretty comfortable for cat napping waiting for the trucks to come in.

This truck?

Got Beer

Observer
Yes, that is it. Raced in the 4700 class as the engine was not yet accepted for 6100. Really nice guys up from South America; good people. They have racing experience but this was their first off road race and the first race for the Herbst Smith Fabrication truck. It was a respectable finish for a maiden voyage.

I was primarily chasing the Herbst TTs, but waited at Gabbs for this truck to come through and then to the finish. We changed out a flat driver's front tire on this truck in Gabbs and sent them on. Good trip and a lot of fun.

Didn't see as much of the course or action as you did. You found some great course sections. It is great to see the non-pit portions of the course through all the pictures and videos of the media. Thanks for getting around and getting so far out there.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am looking forward to the two-day format next year. I only saw the tt's once. After I waited for the UTV's to come through my first spot, I went to a spot that was 120 course miles north. I was able to catch some 10's, 6100's 8's, trophylite and the utv's. After catching the UTV's at two more spots, I could not even catch them again. I only went as far north as Tonopah. It's a hard race to cover without a crew.

Got Beer

Observer
Nice shot with the helo. Should be Larry R behind the wheel at that stage of the race.

The classes do stretch out. We were already through Pit 3 by the time the JeepSpeeds were leaving the line. I am with you, next year going the long way should be fun.

One of these races I'll get to see the Autonomous in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78