Project "Autonomous" F-350

patoz

Expedition Leader
Why not convert your Honda to propane? Would be a lot easier to carry a small propane tank, that's what I do.

I considered that and even bought a propane conversion kit for it. If I have other propane appliances onboard, I'll probably go that route, but if I go total electric, I'll probably stay with gasoline.

I can find gasoline just about anywhere, but it's hard to find propane sometimes, especially after disaster type situations such as hurricanes.

Or, I can set it up to run on either one. The kit I bought is set up so that you can switch simply by turning one off and the other on, even while it's running.

BTW, do you have a Honda EU3000i and if so, do you have to use the manual choke to start it when it's running on propane, since propane is pressurized?

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
I use the kit from US Carburetion on both my 1000 and 3500 Yamaha generators. I carry the 1000 watt one in the camper strictly to charge batteries if the solar doesn't charge my batteries. I do use the choke to start generator as well as the primer button on the propane regulator. I don't carry gasoline, just diesel so this seemed like a good alternative as I don't need a big diesel generator. Also I only have to fill my propane tank every few months as it is pretty efficient using it only for my Plat Cat heater, stove/oven, and water heater. Oh, and my barbecue/stove outside. One other benefit is that propane has a unlimited storage life. If I had had more money when I was doing my build I may have gone with diesel appliances, but ended up this way.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I use the kit from US Carburetion on both my 1000 and 3500 Yamaha generators. I carry the 1000 watt one in the camper strictly to charge batteries if the solar doesn't charge my batteries. I do use the choke to start generator as well as the primer button on the propane regulator. I don't carry gasoline, just diesel so this seemed like a good alternative as I don't need a big diesel generator. Also I only have to fill my propane tank every few months as it is pretty efficient using it only for my Plat Cat heater, stove/oven, and water heater. Oh, and my barbecue/stove outside. One other benefit is that propane has a unlimited storage life. If I had had more money when I was doing my build I may have gone with diesel appliances, but ended up this way.

That's the same kit I bought, and I have not ruled out using propane by any means, since there are a lot of advantages as well, especially the storage life part. My Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger System has Remote Generator Start capability also, so that's why I was asking about the need to use the manual choke. I can always just add an electric solenoid to it for that purpose.

I just skimmed through your build thread and subscribed to it also. It looks like we are both dealing with a lot of the same things, so I'll read it in detail tonight and follow to see where you go with it. Meanwhile, I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm going to jump off of here, but thank you for the info and I'll probably see you on your thread.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Meanwhile, I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm going to jump off of here, but thank you for the info and I'll probably see you on your thread.

I'm learning here too. Carlyle's build was a huge inspiration to me when I first joined this site. I was offered a gas powered generator from a relative but when I saw how big and heavy it was, (not a Honda) I went propane and solar instead. Being in the Southwest, solar is viable. I like to keep other options in mind and appreciate you guys informing me about this topic.

patoz

Expedition Leader
We have a lot of sunshine in Florida also, but you can't depend on it completely, because it can change in 15 minutes. It has just stopped raining, which it's been doing for three weeks, and the temperatures are dropping some so it finally feels a little like winter.

However, I am planning on adding solar also, which will probably be four 125 Watt panels on tilting brackets mounted on roof racks. For power I'll have 30A Shore Power, a single Honda EU3000i or two Honda EU2000i (running in parallel) generators, a Magnum Power 2000 Watt Inverter/100A Charger, all routed through a large Blue Sea Systems Main panel, with a 6600 Watt 100A Magnum Power Solar Controller charging four Trojan T-105 6V batteries wired in series/parallel for a total of 450Ah. @ 12VDC.

Yep, it's big time overkill for a 12.5' x 8' camper, but when you live in hurricane alley, you don't take any chances! I may need to run my house or another camper with it also. When Hurricane Ivan hit us, we had no power for two weeks. What that really means is no A/C for two weeks. I had a single Honda EU2000i, which I ran non stop during that time, even hot refueling it. I shut it down every 100 hours to change the oil as the manual specified, but that was it. It would run lights, fans, TV, computer, etc. but not the Central A/C. Now I have seven generators, all the way from 2000W up to 25KW that runs on natural gas. I will not be without A/C again during hurricane season.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
We have a lot of sunshine in Florida also, but you can't depend on it completely, because it can change in 15 minutes. It has just stopped raining, which it's been doing for three weeks, and the temperatures are dropping some so it finally feels a little like winter.

However, I am planning on adding solar also, which will probably be four 125 Watt panels on tilting brackets mounted on roof racks. For power I'll have 30A Shore Power, a single Honda EU3000i or two Honda EU2000i (running in parallel) generators, a Magnum Power 2000 Watt Inverter/100A Charger, all routed through a large Blue Sea Systems Main panel, with a 6600 Watt 100A Magnum Power Solar Controller charging four Trojan T-105 6V batteries wired in series/parallel for a total of 450Ah. @ 12VDC.

Yep, it's big time overkill for a 12.5' x 8' camper, but when you live in hurricane alley, you don't take any chances! I may need to run my house or another camper with it also. When Hurricane Ivan hit us, we had no power for two weeks. What that really means is no A/C for two weeks. I had a single Honda EU2000i, which I ran non stop during that time, even hot refueling it. I shut it down every 100 hours to change the oil as the manual specified, but that was it. It would run lights, fans, TV, computer, etc. but not the Central A/C. Now I have seven generators, all the way from 2000W up to 25KW that runs on natural gas. I will not be without A/C again during hurricane season.

That's impressive.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've been putting in tons of work designing my fuel system. As it stands now, I will have a 60 gallon storage/transfer tank that will be mounted between the frame rails in front of the rear axle. Behind the rear axle, I will have a second 20 gallon fuel cell which will supply the fuel to the engine. I have not decided yet if the transfer tank will fill the fuel cell through gravity feed or a pump; it will depend on packaging. I have a fuel/water separator that goes before the fuel pump which means it needs to be mounted low. If I run a pump between the tanks I can run the fuel through a pump then the separator before it goes into the fuel cell. Since the filter is after the pump, I can mount it higher. I have a second pump to send fuel to the engine. I may have a gravity feed option just in case of emergency. Of course, there are countless other details like rollover valves, fuel/air separator valves, shut off valves, filters, return lines, filler necks, inertia shut-off switch, senders and gauges that are part of the system. I don't want to cut any corners when it comes to fuel.

IMG_0279.jpg

Last edited:

superminoh

I hope you get a couple of drive shaft safety loops so if you loose a rear u joint at speed it wont puncture your fuel tank.(could get interesting fast).

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I hope you get a couple of drive shaft safety loops so if you loose a rear u joint at speed it wont puncture your fuel tank.(could get interesting fast).

Safety first but the driveshaft runs right next to the tank from the factory. I trust my JE Reel driveshafts but a loop is always a good idea.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Excited to have all the parts I need to plumb my fuel system. After I get back from KOH I can pull the bed and start designing fuel cell mounts and the truck box attachment system. Hopefully the project will make some major advancements after that. :wings:

IMG_0236.jpg

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
Have fun at KOH. Annie and I hope to be there next year.

Looking forward to the progress pics when you get back.

Ward

patoz

Expedition Leader
Those look like some high quality components!

Looking forward to seeing how the system comes together. :coffee:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I agree, and that's why I'm buying the best stuff I can get my hands on for mine.

Besides, I look at going off-road like I do going out on a boat or up in an airplane. Failure should not be an option on the list!

pixelcodex

Observer
Glad that Photobucket is back!

Great stuff Pappawheely. I was going through your thread from the beginning on my phone, and at a certain point the photos started coming up as broken links. I was so bummed. I checked on the computer when I got home and realized it was Photobucket who was undergoing maintenance... Back to reading it/viewing it today... 43 pages to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger