Project "Autonomous" F-350

Bojak

Adventurer
I vote build the uhaul. Convert it to 4x4. But don't rob the parts off the crew cab. It's just so nicely done. Build your uhaul, remove top on crew and you have a nice truck and an expo rig.

Seabass

Idiot
I vote build the uhaul. Convert it to 4x4. But don't rob the parts off the crew cab. It's just so nicely done. Build your uhaul, remove top on crew and you have a nice truck and an expo rig.

That's the best dang idea yet! I can't believe nobody else thought of that. You're right Bojak. It breaks my heart to see that old crew cab disassembled.....but I totally get using the U-Haul truck since its a little heavier built. Hey Pappa- I know where there's a D-60.....but it's a heck of a long ways from ya!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I will start a go-fund-me account and you guys can vote with your check books, Ha. Sorry, but I don't have the funds, storage space, or time to start over. I hate to use up a truck but It's one or the other. I could convert the F350 to 2wd TTB but that is a whole other project. I have not looked at the harness yet, just assuming the transmission is not computer controlled on the "97? I will use the manual trans and the Uhaul 460. That engine has less miles than the F350.

BTW, There should be a special award to Seabass for rolling that monster:Wow1: Technically, we call that a flop, not a roll.

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
Well, you got my .02. I'd run the crew cab. But if you decided to run the U-haul it seems to me it would be far simpler to use the 5 spd and t-case from the crew cab. You'll need the transmission crossmember and the front shaft should work. You've got the clutch pedal assembly from the crew cab and it should swap in straight forward. The master cylinder.....I not sure if there's a marked hole on the u-haul or not. To use the auto in the u-haul you'll need a 4x4 tranny or are you planning to divorce mount a T-case? Or is it just a matter of changing the tail housing? I haven't messed with the auto's all that much. I just know it would be easier to make the u-haul 4x4 if you take everything off the crew cab. And by the way..... The army truck- I usually say that I "laid it over." It scared the hell out of me.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Well, you got my .02. I'd run the crew cab. But if you decided to run the U-haul it seems to me it would be far simpler to use the 5 spd and t-case from the crew cab. You'll need the transmission crossmember and the front shaft should work. You've got the clutch pedal assembly from the crew cab and it should swap in straight forward. The master cylinder.....I not sure if there's a marked hole on the u-haul or not. To use the auto in the u-haul you'll need a 4x4 tranny or are you planning to divorce mount a T-case? Or is it just a matter of changing the tail housing? I haven't messed with the auto's all that much. I just know it would be easier to make the u-haul 4x4 if you take everything off the crew cab. And by the way..... The army truck- I usually say that I "laid it over." It scared the hell out of me.

No way I would run the auto! I'm assuming I will have to cut a hole in the trans tunnel too. I have an NP205 sitting around but think I will stick with the borg-warner.

Seabass

Idiot
That BW is a fine case. I don't think it will be all that big a deal to swap all the 4x4 stuff. I basically did that on my truck.....kinda. It's not like your putting a square peg in a round hole here. It's ford stuff going back on a Ford. I still hate to see you part out the ole crew cab though.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That BW is a fine case. I don't think it will be all that big a deal to swap all the 4x4 stuff. I basically did that on my truck.....kinda. It's not like your putting a square peg in a round hole here. It's ford stuff going back on a Ford. I still hate to see you part out the ole crew cab though.

Yeah, me too.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Korben

Adventurer
No way I would run the auto! I'm assuming I will have to cut a hole in the trans tunnel too. I have an NP205 sitting around but think I will stick with the borg-warner.
Transmission cover floor panel swaps, no cutting, just more bolts.
Consider a hydroboost swap when your swapping pedal assemblies anyway.

pixelcodex

Observer
That picture does communicate the mental struggle quite beautifully. I don't know enough to try to convince you one way or the other. All I know is I will continue to follow it regardless with great interest!

Bojak

Adventurer
How much for the crew? Not really, but throwing out an alternative solution that equals not gutting the crew. Maybe your price is $$$$ and a D60, tranny, or whatever. Just seams a shame to gut that truck. I'm begging you, don't do that.

Korben

Adventurer
Yeah, probably money and certainly effort ahead to get the parts you need elsewhere vs. taking them from the crew cab.
That and are you now going dually, if not why not?

ElkinsEric

Observer
You will miss the crew cab space if you choose to go with the single cab.

The pass through from cab to box will be easier to configure with the crew cab as well. You won't have to touch the front seats in the crew cab, and you could probably get away with to rear bucket seats in the back and have the pass through in between them.

As far as wheeling goes, I always liked a long wheelbased rig for hill climbs and off camber situations. If one set of tires looses traction, the other set of tires are in a different area altogether and can pull the rig loose.

Let's be realistic, your not going to be doing much hard wheeling with the giant box on the back, due to its height and how it effects COG.

Keep the crew and find a way to get the box as low to the frame as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78