Project bug out!

DOCBRONSON

DRIFTER
Thought I would post some pictures of the tire swing out project under way. After a week of measuring and designing the double swing out we were ready. The first thing was the spindle boxes. Seeing as though my bumper was open and not boxed in we had too reinforce the bumper and modify spindle box's.

6153217975_212772d8ba_b.jpg

6153215645_58c88c7975_b.jpg

6153760762_b769cb64f8_b.jpg

Next was the lower arm. This will be cut at some location to divide the two arms.
6141681902_9a725213b3_b.jpg

This is after the arm was divided. The tire swing out portion.
6185720075_8ed87fa07a_b.jpg

6186247286_3a750d7ed8_b.jpg

The jerry can holder.
6186238110_b5426475e9_b.jpg

6185710867_6b7aabb81c_b.jpg

6186226060_0718322b8b_b.jpg

I will post the final pictures as soon as it's finished.

DOCBRONSON

DRIFTER
Finally finished the tire and jerry can swing out. These are the final pictures of the project. I hope you enjoy.
6185725983_49a18e748c_b.jpg

6185732189_e60bac174e_b.jpg

6185735023_4753982618_b.jpg

6186261956_86bf5862a5_b.jpg

After the spare tire and locks added.
6204278072_63b344fc3d_b.jpg

6203764001_df2aca39fb_b.jpg

6203767403_7c030884d7_b.jpg

The last item for the back is shovel & Axe and my CB antenna to be mounted on the upright bar above the tire. I also purchased a trasharoo for the tire.

Thanks for all your support.

ExpoMike

Bumper came out great. Truck is coming together very nice. Hope you don't mind me steeling a few of your ideas. :D

BTW, is the rear bumper a commercial built item or something you built (not the swing outs but the actual bumper itself)?

DOCBRONSON

DRIFTER
Thank you for all your kind words. bftank is right, it's a Ruenel bumper. As for the trip plan I'm kind of on it now. I have been living in the camper for the past 3 months migrating from a friends house in Oregon to Canada B.C. where my kids live. My son wanted to take a short camping trip so we did part of the Lewis and Clark trail also known as the "WABDR" through the center of Washington. My friend in Oregon has been more than generous letting me work on my truck from time to time, shower and hang out. I will be leaving Oregon after Christmas and heading to Nevada, Arizona, Utah then California and down to Mexico for part of the winter. I will then take rout 66 across the southern states to possibly Florida and up the east coast to Boston, New York and up to Main. My final leg will be across the Northern states west and through Canada B.C. to Alaska. Nothing is set in stone. I may detour a few times depending on my mood or situation, just a few places I want to see.

To xj_mike steal away! I will be visiting Deaver springs to upgrade my rear suspension as well. The great thing about this site is ideas and information and sharing them with others.:)

Also I will be posting a trip report on the Washington trail if anyone is interested.

Thanks and keep exploring.

ExpoMike

The REAR bumper is a Ruenel? I can't find any bumpers like that on their site. The front one, yes I see similar units but not the rear.

<Edit> Nevermind, I found the bumpers... Doh!

Please post up pics/report of your trip!

D

Deleted member 9101

I will then take rout 66 across the southern states to possibly Florida and up the east coast to Boston, New York and up to Main.

If ya swing through the Tampa area, I have a soft couch, a hot shower, and plenty of beer...lol

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Thank you for all your kind words. bftank is right, it's a Ruenel bumper. As for the trip plan I'm kind of on it now. I have been living in the camper for the past 3 months migrating from a friends house in Oregon to Canada B.C. where my kids live. My son wanted to take a short camping trip so we did part of the Lewis and Clark trail also known as the "WABDR" through the center of Washington. My friend in Oregon has been more than generous letting me work on my truck from time to time, shower and hang out. I will be leaving Oregon after Christmas and heading to Nevada, Arizona, Utah then California and down to Mexico for part of the winter. I will then take rout 66 across the southern states to possibly Florida and up the east coast to Boston, New York and up to Main. My final leg will be across the Northern states west and through Canada B.C. to Alaska. Nothing is set in stone. I may detour a few times depending on my mood or situation, just a few places I want to see.

To xj_mike steal away! I will be visiting Deaver springs to upgrade my rear suspension as well. The great thing about this site is ideas and information and sharing them with others.:)

Also I will be posting a trip report on the Washington trail if anyone is interested.

Thanks and keep exploring.
What leaving Oregon permanently? May I take the liberty to offer you a reference to a couple of psychologist? exploring is fine....but home base is a place of beauty.......worried about you son...worried. :coffeedrink:

Fish

Adventurer
Gorgeous swingout. I have a question about it. Can you close it when you're in the camper? Or to look at it another way, can you release it if you're in the camper and someone else closes it? My set up is quite similar and I'd like to do a swingout, but I also stealth it at times and want it to appear that no one's inside. Can't do that with the rack hanging open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger