Project Dino Evo - Mitsubishi L300 4x4 Camper

dinoevo

Adventurer
Hello everyone,

Been on this site a few times doing research and decided it was time to introduce my project. For our upcoming trip along the Panamericana I'm building up an overland camper van, based on a Mitsubishi Delica l300 4x4. Originally bought in spring this year in Japan, we shipped it over to Canada and enjoying working on it since. Thanks to the help of our friends we made quite a bit of progress over the last few month, but there is still a lot to do (specially the interior). To keep track of the work I started a blog.

Feel free to check it out at dinoevo.de

Thank you all for the ton of inspirations and tips on this forum.

Cheers

Attachments

• img_0955.jpg
    img_0955.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 189
  • file-3.jpg
    file-3.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 120
  • img_0985.jpg
    img_0985.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 203
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Those are SO cool. Nice truck mate, and a SNORKEL to boot. I love it. We've got a few old Toyota 4x4 Vans that guys run down here in Oregon and those things have embarassed alot of "built" trucks on some tough trails. THese Mitsu's look awesome and just flat out PERFECT for Overlanding/Expo type trips/Wheeling.

SHOW US MORE, SHOW US MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Dave

speedtre

Explorer
That is very cool. I'm so jealous we don't get stuff like that here nor can we import it legally. I'll be watching this thread for sure. :lurk:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I can't speak for the rest of the company, but I personally have a soft spot for 4x4 vans of all sorts. Very cool.

- Andy

dinoevo

Adventurer
Thanks guys! A few people laugh at this 4x4 vans, but even if you can not compare it to some Nissan Patrol/Landcruiser type of vehicles, they are very capable to go on the same trails. Over the last few years I haven't had a situation where I couldn't follow them. You just need to take your time and learn how to drive offroad.

I probably should point out that our goal is not to have the most heavy duty rock crawler portal axle type of overland vehicle. As a lot of the vehicles are waaay to overbuilt for the terrain/trip they are going to be used.
As much as I like to go on some difficult 4x4 terrain with my friends at home, I would never ever bring myself in this situation alone in a remote area in a foreign country. So our goal is to have a very reliable car which can also go on rough roads, offers quite a bit of interior space (NO tents) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (<$20k finished). Not easy to find.

In the end it's all about the roadtrip, culture and experience and not so much about spending all your money on a vehicle.

Will keep you guys posted when there is more happening on our project..... Actually I just started with the interior insulation.

RttH

Thanks guys! A few people laugh at this 4x4 vans, but even if you can not compare it to some Nissan Patrol/Landcruiser type of vehicles, they are very capable to go on the same trails. Over the last few years I haven't had a situation where I couldn't follow them. You just need to take your time and learn how to drive offroad.

I probably should point out that our goal is not to have the most heavy duty rock crawler portal axle type of overland vehicle. As a lot of the vehicles are waaay to overbuilt for the terrain/trip they are going to be used.
As much as I like to go on some difficult 4x4 terrain with my friends at home, I would never ever bring myself in this situation alone in a remote area in a foreign country. So our goal is to have a very reliable car which can also go on rough roads, offers quite a bit of interior space (NO tents) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (<$20k finished). Not easy to find.

In the end it's all about the roadtrip, culture and experience and not so much about spending all your money on a vehicle.

Will keep you guys posted when there is more happening on our project..... Actually I just started with the interior insulation.

You are doing a very nice job! I was never a big fan of vans but yours is changing my mind. You are making smart decisions with this build. Very nice!

dinoevo

Adventurer
I totally forgot to update this thread. A lot happend over the last few month.

- Took the headliner and rear AC/vents out and insulated the roof
- New side step
- LED flood light
- Rebuilt the IP
- Extended the diff breather
- Painted the brake caliper

Going to start with the bed/kitchen/storage setup now...

Attachments

• img_2423.jpeg
    img_2423.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Vision X Utility Flood Light.jpeg
    Vision X Utility Flood Light.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 31

dare2go

Observer
I hope you realize that Bolivia won't let you enter the country with a right-hand-drive vehicle!!

Just thought I let you know before you get all excited. That ruling is being enforced since late 2008. Reason: too many cheap Japanese imports coming in through Iquique in Northern Chile.

dinoevo

Adventurer
Any official statements about that? Where do you have the information from?
I do know that a few countries are not very keen on letting RHD enter, but in the end it just depends on the officer and a little amount of cash.
A couple in a RHD I know of is doing a similar roadtrip right now and they haven't had a problem with Bolivia so far.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Hello everyone,

Been on this site a few times doing research and decided it was time to introduce my project. For our upcoming trip along the Panamericana I'm building up an overland camper van, based on a Mitsubishi Delica l300 4x4. Originally bought in spring this year in Japan, we shipped it over to Canada and enjoying working on it since. Thanks to the help of our friends we made quite a bit of progress over the last few month, but there is still a lot to do (specially the interior). To keep track of the work I started a blog.

Feel free to check it out at dinoevo.de

Thank you all for the ton of inspirations and tips on this forum.

Cheers

When I lived in Bellingham, WA friends and I would drive up to Vancouver for Sunday brunch at The Pink Pearl (awesome dim sum restaurant in east Vancouver near an amusement park). I would see all sorts of awesome vehicles that we have never been able to get here in the US. One of my favorites has always been the little 4x4 vans. I saw so many of these Mitsubishi's as well as others too. I love them! But, then again, I've always had an eye for the slightly strange or just plain odd. I love them because you just don't really ever see them. We had the Toyota 4x4 vans here in the US, but I have never seen one look as cool as the vans I always saw in Vancouver, nor as cool as yours.

Great vehicle! Good luck with the build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998