Project - EARTH ROAMER - Montero SR SAS

evileric

Observer
Im starting this thread to document my 1995 Montero SR SAS build. I dont know of anyone else in the US with it done (on a Gen2 LWB). We all know our trucks are built more extreme in Aus, NZ and Japan. This is my 4th montero (3-gen1 SWB before) Anyway here goes -

Having the engine rebuilt and bored .40 over and ARB snorkel

Having the trans rebuilt

New Process 231 transfer case w/ 4:1 gears

1977-1979 F250 high pinion front Dana 60 and matching rear Dana 60
I'll be running 5.38 gears and ARB's in both

It'll be leaf springs in the front, fullsize Jeep Wagoneer's from BJ's Offroad
The rear will stay coils, still working on which one's i'll use. But heavy duty trailing arms and links made.

Obviously, all steering and brakes will have to be modified. Im thinking I might have to have hydraulic assist though.

It'll be built on 38x13.50x17 Yokohama Geolander MT's on 17x10 aluminum wheels for street duty

Off-highway duty will be done by 37x14x16.5 Irok's on Trail Worthy Fab 16.5x9 recentered H1 beadlock wheels w/ the PVC inserts.

Smittybuilt XRC12 winch on custom front tube bumper, matching rear bumper.

Most of the work will be done by a friend who runs a local 4x4 fab and custom shop. I work alot and go to school fulltime at night. But i'll be there all weekend and every extra minute I have. Besides, he's a killer fabricator. Unbelievable work!

Anyways, got my rear D60 ($125), cleaned and ready for guts. Should have my NP231 next week. And those high pinion D60 fronts are like gold-plated in diamonds, cheapest i've found around here was $800.

It wont go nearly as fast as i'd like it to go.

Here's how it sits as of this past weekend, up at Uwharrie National Forest. 45min from me.

2011charleston-uwharrie014.jpg

You guys let me know what you think. I know its gonna be expensive and a headache. Either way, i'd like to hear your input!

D

Deleted member 9101

I know its gonna be expensive and a headache. Either way, i'd like to hear your input!

Yeah, I would try to stay as stock as possible and enjoy the truck. The more you modify it, the more your potential for problems increases....lol. But its your time and money... I say got for it if you are comfortable spending thousands on something that you will never be able to recover even 1/2 the investment. ;-)

evileric

Observer
Yeah, I would try to stay as stock as possible and enjoy the truck. The more you modify it, the more your potential for problems increases....lol. But its your time and money... I say got for it if you are comfortable spending thousands on something that you will never be able to recover even 1/2 the investment. ;-)

Stock is IFS, which will only get you so far around my neck of the woods. I have a DD mighty max, so I dont depend on this one.

zukrider

Explorer
i for one am totally excited to see this, which is why i prompted you to make the build thread. my SR got wrecked on May 1st, so a sas is something im considering.

more importantly, im really excited to see the 241 case install. please be as detailed as possible!

joe

evileric

Observer
i for one am totally excited to see this, which is why i prompted you to make the build thread. my SR got wrecked on May 1st, so a sas is something im considering.

more importantly, im really excited to see the 241 case install. please be as detailed as possible!

joe

Sorry to hear that man. Im doing the 231 case w/ beefy chain and SYE kit.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Stock is IFS, which will only get you so far around my neck of the woods. I have a DD mighty max, so I dont depend on this one.

How hard core are your trails? Are you talking Tellico or elsewhere? Don't want to discourage you but I do want to make you aware of how beefy the stock setup is...

A good friend of mine is running 37x14 Goodyear MTR's on 15x10's with the stock axles and he's done the Dusy Ersham, Rubicon, and other hard core sierra nevada trails. He fit them after doing a 3" body lift where he moved the fan shroud 3" down and had to modify the transfer case shifter for the lift.

Other upgrades include raising the gas tank higher, a front ARB air locker, mitsubishi 4.9:1 r&p gears, and a 3.15:1 xcase gear from Marks in Australia.

He's an animated GIF of his rig wheeling in the Sierra Nevada's.
carlos_climb_1a_4x3_128colors.gif

Let me know if you have any questions about it. Like I said he's a good friend who I speak with at least weekly if not more often.:ylsmoke:

evileric

Observer
How hard core are your trails? Are you talking Tellico or elsewhere? Don't want to discourage you but I do want to make you aware of how beefy the stock setup is...

A good friend of mine is running 37x14 Goodyear MTR's on 15x10's with the stock axles and he's done the Dusy Ersham, Rubicon, and other hard core sierra nevada trails. He fit them after doing a 3" body lift where he moved the fan shroud 3" down and had to modify the transfer case shifter for the lift.

Other upgrades include raising the gas tank higher, a front ARB air locker, mitsubishi 4.9:1 r&p gears, and a 3.15:1 xcase gear from Marks in Australia.

He's an animated GIF of his rig wheeling in the Sierra Nevada's.
carlos_climb_1a_4x3_128colors.gif

Let me know if you have any questions about it. Like I said he's a good friend who I speak with at least weekly if not more often.:ylsmoke:

Uwharrie and Mtn City. Im pretty sure Tellico is closed! I know how beefy the stock set-up is, not my 1st Montero. It all boils down to having the truck on solid axles for rock crawling and because it hasn't been done here, something extremely different!

I've done all the research on our gen2's. I know what can be done to them, this is just the route im taking. Does he have a build thread or details anywhere?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Uwharrie and Mtn City. Im pretty sure Tellico is closed! I know how beefy the stock set-up is, not my 1st Montero. It all boils down to having the truck on solid axles for rock crawling and because it hasn't been done here, something extremely different!

I've done all the research on our gen2's. I know what can be done to them, this is just the route im taking. Does he have a build thread or details anywhere?

That's cool. Just didn't want you taking that route because you didn't think the stock set-up couldn't handle it. Since this isn't your first one you probably know how under rated they are off road due to simple ignorance.

As for his rig, I don't believe he's done a build thread but he's local to me so I can answer most questions if you have any or get him to respond on here but he's mostly on 4x4wire.

evileric

Observer
That's cool. Just didn't want you taking that route because you didn't think the stock set-up couldn't handle it. Since this isn't your first one you probably know how under rated they are off road due to simple ignorance.

Thanks for that. As far as ignorance goes, I live in the south, if its not american or a toyota its crap, is the consensus around here! Should've seen the jaws drop the 1st time I took my 4cyl SWB on 31's and a welded rear up the same places the rest of the guys from the group were going(36"+ tires and most locked in both diffs)

The only thing I had a problem with, that whole weekend, was I got high-centered. Due to lack of ground clearance, obviously.

I'd love to see more pics of your buddy's Montero, or video!

D

Deleted member 9101

Well then..cut, weld, beat, destroy, and repeat.... :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
As far as ignorance goes, I live in the south, if its not american or a toyota its crap, is the consensus around here! Should've seen the jaws drop the 1st time I took my 4cyl SWB on 31's and a welded rear up the same places the rest of the guys from the group were going(36"+ tires and most locked in both diffs

Well, truth be told, I took that into consideration and the reality is, this doesn't just exist in the South. I get that attitude here in California all the time. I guess ignorance and stupidity exist everywhere!:sombrero:

Anyhow, just spoke with him a few minutes ago (we're working on a couple of projects right now) and I mentioned this thread. He immediately said, "He doesn't need to do a SAS to fit 37's. If I were to do a SAS, it would be for full width Dana 60's front and rear and 44's!" :Wow1:

Personally I think if you showed them up in a semi-built rig using the stock drivetrain setup it would be better bragging rights than if you did it in a SAS, but that's my opinion LOL.:ylsmoke: That's what we do around here all the time and the surprise we always get is simply priceless. Then there are the follow-on questions...
Is that a Landcruiser?
What's it have?
What differentials are you using?
What axles?
What... they're stock axles? No way?!?
:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle