Project - EARTH ROAMER - Montero SR SAS

evileric

Observer
Well, truth be told, I took that into consideration and the reality is, this doesn't just exist in the South. I get that attitude here in California all the time. I guess ignorance and stupidity exist everywhere!:sombrero:

Anyhow, just spoke with him a few minutes ago (we're working on a couple of projects right now) and I mentioned this thread. He immediately said, "He doesn't need to do a SAS to fit 37's. If I were to do a SAS, it would be for full width Dana 60's front and rear and 44's!" :Wow1:

Personally I think if you showed them up in a semi-built rig using the stock drivetrain setup it would be better bragging rights than if you did it in a SAS, but that's my opinion LOL.:ylsmoke: That's what we do around here all the time and the surprise we always get is simply priceless. Then there are the follow-on questions...
Is that a Landcruiser?
What's it have?
What differentials are you using?
What axles?
What... they're stock axles? No way?!?
:wings:

Im not a body-lift fan, thats why my SWB only had tbar/block on 33's. I know I dont "need" to SAS, its more a want thing! The D60's im using are full widths. I couldnt even imagine a Gen2 on 44's!:Wow1:

I still have one of my older SWB's left, and have really been considering making a 4cyl/auto on propane rig. Running all the suspension lift I can, and then cutting the fenders the rest of the way. To run the 37" Goodyear MTR/H1 beadlock combo. no doors, front/rear bumpers and skids. And run the crap out of it!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Im not a body-lift fan, thats why my SWB only had tbar/block on 33's. I know I dont "need" to SAS, its more a want thing! The D60's im using are full widths. I couldnt even imagine a Gen2 on 44's!:Wow1:

I still have one of my older SWB's left, and have really been considering making a 4cyl/auto on propane rig. Running all the suspension lift I can, and then cutting the fenders the rest of the way. To run the 37" Goodyear MTR/H1 beadlock combo. no doors, front/rear bumpers and skids. And run the crap out of it!

The body lift is actually better than a suspension lift in a way since it helps to keep the center of gravity lower than a suspension lift would. We also use decent grade hardware (either 5 or 8) for the body lift. 4crawler.com (Roger Brown) sells a decent kit.

carlos had Roger build his sliders but unfortunately he no longer builds them. I bought mine from trailgear.com (68" tacoma sliders) and cut the 4 rear legs and extended the 2 front the legs it came with to fit the SR frame.

At this point, I've gotta build up skid plate armor and that will finish the armoring process.

next I'll upgrade to 4.90's and hopefully by then the US$ and AU$ will be at a better exchange rate so I can buy an ARB RD110 and 3.15:1 xcase gears. next an upgrade to a 3" lift and 37's or 38's depending on what I can get.

At that point, I'll be ready for any trail with the exception of the X-rated ones (Johnson Valley, etc.) which are better suited to rock crawling buggies anyway.

evileric

Observer
Modification -

I'll be running 40x13.50x17 Yokohama Geolander M/T on 17x10 alum wheels on the street.

And...

38.5x14.40x16.5 Super Swamper TSL/SX tires still on the 16.5x9 H1 double beadlocks offroad

off-roader

Expedition Leader
offroader, i thought you already had the 4.9's? is yours a 4.6?

Not yet. Sourcing them hasn't been easy unless you count a dealer price. They're avail but I haven't dedicated time to search for them properly.

Modification -

I'll be running 40x13.50x17 Yokohama Geolander M/T on 17x10 alum wheels on the street.

And...

38.5x14.40x16.5 Super Swamper TSL/SX tires still on the 16.5x9 H1 double beadlocks offroad

LOL, you're not really building them for the trails you run then. Based on trail maps/info, the hardest trails at mtn city is a 7 on a 1-10 rating scale and uwhari is even easier (friend from NJ/CT runs them all the time in an SR on 33's.

By the way, be prepared for single digit mileage. IIRC, Cap510 only gets 10-12 mpg on the highway running 37's. I get 14-16 on 35's.

evileric

Observer
I dont know why thats funny.

And I dont know what "scale" you're talking about. Nobody I know in the 4x4 community, ever talks of a "scale".

Your friend from NJ/CT runs trails in southern NC all the time? I only know of mine and maybe 2 more locals in gen2's that go to uwharrie.

With 5.38's im gonna be in single digit MPG's? I dont think so. And besides, this isnt my DD so it wouldnt matter anyway.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to offend you. I'm simply saying it sounds like it will be overbuilt from what I understand about the trails there but maybe I'm wrong. Of course, it's always cool to have a bigger more capable rig too that you can do harder trails with.

In terms of my use of the word scale... think of "on a scale of 1-10, this trail is an 8" kind of scale. That's the trail rating system the Uwharrie map uses. I've also seen sites rate trails on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most difficult. Then they upgraded that rating system for the even more extreme trails like the Hammers in Johnson Valley CA and others in NM, etc. Last I recall they were using an X, 2x, 3x system with X being harder than a 5 on the 1-5 scale.

From the various trail ratings I've seen and read about, it seems the trails at Uwharrie are definitely difficult but it seems less difficult than the Sierra trails.

Uwharrie: Highest rating is 8 (http://www.cnc4x4.org/trails/uwharrie_tr.htm)
Rubicon: 10
Dusy Ershim: 10 or 9 depending on direction of travel (http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/review.htm)

Here's the Dusy Ershim trail difficulty rating excerpt from off-road.com (http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/trails/the-dusyershim-trail-13526.html)
MOST DIFFICULT . Recommended for advanced drivers. A route requiring a high degree of skill and challenge to travel. Not recommended for fill-size pickups, long wheel base vehicles or for traveling alone. Only short wheel base vehicles recommended beyond Voyager Rock Campground.

I'd love to see a comparison from someone who's done both sets of trails and can give a more valid comparison. I do speak regularly with a friend who's wheeled his 90 2 door v6 Montero on Tellico's hardest trails. He noted how different & difficult it was due to the lack of traction. At the time it only had 33's, 5.29 r&p, & 2.85:1 xcase gears and armor for his rocker panels, etc.

In the sierra's our trails are mostly decomposing granite which can provide great traction at times or can also be like wheeling on 1/16" ball bearings when you hit a patch of broken granite.

That said, we've wheeled Montero's with 35's and 37's through the most extreme rated trails (Rubicon, Dusy Ershim, Fordyce Creek, etc.) and from that, I'm pretty confident when I mention a Montero on 37's should handle most trails fine with the exception of rock buggy trails like the Hammers, etc..

As for my friend from NJ that wheels Uwharrie regularly, you're right, I confused him with a bunch of other Montero owners in the South that wheel Uwharrie annually and run 35" or smaller tires...
Spring 2011 trip http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showf...Words=uwharrie&topic=&Search=true#Post1243210
Fall 2010 trip http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showf...Words=uwharrie&topic=&Search=true#Post1223571

As for mileage, yeah 5.38's and 40's maybe won't be in the single digits but it will probably be close. 4.90's and 37's are def in low teens already and that's just driving around town. Loaded for wheeling, it will be worse. But since it's a trail rig only, it doesn't matter so much... although with gas prices continuing to rise only you know where your pain threshold is for that.

As for me, since the early/mid 90's I've done annual trail runs to the Sierra's, Ca. Desserts, Moab UT, Arizona, etc. and without much thought on the fuel costs. Nowadays, I definitely factor that in especially when prices in smaller, more remote towns are regularly over $6/gallon. It's one reason I carry as many as 4 Jerry cans on trips.:Wow1:

HTH.

evileric

Observer
I understand you're not trying to offend me, but this is the way I wanna build it. It IS being overbuilt, VERY OVERBUILT!!! Thats been the plan since the beginning. Did you not read any of the details on the 1st post?

Again, no one (100+ people) around here that are regulars at uwharrie or mtn city use or talk of the scale. Also, Tellico is closed and has been for a while now!

Yeah, the people in those 2 trips, I know most of them. Reuben, Eli, Kenny and Angelo are most of who you're talking about.

Ok, as far as the gears and mpg goes, with Dana 60's I could go as high as I wanted to, 5.38, 5.86, 6.17 and 7.17, unlimited options. And gas, its around 3.38 here, 3.65 is the most expensive i've seen. I'll be fine. If I was worried about paying for gas, I wouldnt think about building a Montero on 40's, or having 2 other trucks.:sombrero:

78Bronco

Explorer
I was thinking about you trying to turn your tire with the wider D60 axles bigger tires and I just don't see this coming together. I am sure the peeps on Pirate could help you plan this out.

How about portal axles? Going through all this work and at the end of the day all you got are d60's which is status qou these days.

Why not just stick the body on a bronco frame and be done with it.:coffee:

evileric

Observer
I was thinking about you trying to turn your tire with the wider D60 axles bigger tires and I just don't see this coming together. I am sure the peeps on Pirate could help you plan this out.

How about portal axles? Going through all this work and at the end of the day all you got are d60's which is status qou these days.

Why not just stick the body on a bronco frame and be done with it.:coffee:

What dont you get? Just got done helping my buddy put D60's under his yota reg cab on 42's, no problem. ???

its already gonna be overkill as it is, i'll pass on the portals.

I know that wasnt a serious suggestion!!! :ar15::Wow1:

zukrider

Explorer
turning the 60's will be cake, depending on the expected wheelbase. id suggest a scout or astro van steering gear.

id like to start hearing your detailed plans for the front suspension. link type, geometry, have you planned out the frame mounts?

evileric

Observer
the wheelbase will be the same, original axle location.

The front will be leaf springs, from here http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=126. Whichever height Chris(builder) thinks it needs. as far as everything else goes, its whatever he thinks will work best. He makes most everything in house (full custom 4x4 fab shop)

His last couple builds....

Ground up build
marsfab1.jpg

Ground up build on the silver jeep buggy
marsfab2.jpg

everything from the frame down done by Chris
marsfab.jpg

So, im getting him my axles, wheels/tires, transfer case, Bilstein 5125's and my winch.
Anything else he needs, he either has in stock, makes or can order for cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78