Project: Luxury liner ZJ

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
Sweet, welcome to the ZJ family.
The build on mine might give you a few ideas, I did a few things that you have looked at and I run the 235/85R16 on my 5.9 limited
The slow build: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36123
I remember reading that thread some time ago, but couldn't find it recently. I have it book marked now.
The skinny tires on stock rims are nice because the tuck up into the fender so you don't have to chop it all out. I did have to do a little trimming on the front edge of the rear wheel openings but that could have been handled with adjustable control arms too.
I'm hoping to get away with less trimming and rolling the fender lip. With the adjustable arms I should be good. Originally you only had the 2" BB and factory up-country springs? What was your stock tire size and wheel backspacing?
So far I really like my pizza cutters. They are great on the highway, they did cut my mileage
What was your stock gear ratio? I noticed no mention of changing the gears in your build thread so I assume you haven't changed them yet. Have you pulled your Jumping-Jack trailer yet? How's the Power if you have?

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
After more web searching, cost calculations and learning I'll be receiving more money back this tax season than originally thought, I've decided to go less piece-meal on the suspension. For roughly the same money as my previous plans, I can obtain a complete 3+" lift from Rusty's. I'm currently searching reviews, but the lift I'm looking at is more complete, including brake lines, all 8 control arms, sway bar discos and front trac-bar. This will allow me to do the lift in 1 day, as opposed to waiting for all of the parts to arrive separately.

I've also decided against replacing the bumpers until they are in need due to damage. I will still add the winch bracket and most likely Kevins radiator support. A rear tire carrier similar to this slick design on a WJ should fill my needs. As mentioned earlier that this will not be a trail machine, but rather a travel and camping truck. Add a through the bumper receiver for ground clearance(the factory and aftermarket hitches do seem to hang rather low) and all should be golden.
As soon as it warms up, or I have time to slip it into the shop at work, I'll begin the slow process of going over all the stock components to assure an easier workload once my lift arrives.

Azlugz

Adventurer
Check out this rear carrier that keeps the rear bumper in tact. Its made by the guy that did my bumpers, rails and rack. It builds on the trailer hitch and mounting so it is removeable. The guy wanted simple but effective and removeable.

24175_108905482476320_108891915811010_109129_3464681_n.jpg

24175_108905499142985_108891915811010_109132_787491_n.jpg

cardfront0001.jpg

Azlugz

Adventurer
Originally you only had the 2" BB and factory up-country springs? What was your stock tire size and wheel backspacing?

Not sure what backspacing these wheels are, but they are the stock wheels that came on the 5.9 Limited. Don't think they are different than the other stock wheels. Stock tires were P225/70R16 which is about 28", the 235/85R16 is a 32"

What was your stock gear ratio? I noticed no mention of changing the gears in your build thread so I assume you haven't changed them yet.?

stock axle ratio is 3.73, trans 1st gear is 2.45, T-case is full time 4wd and low is 2.72. As far as changing the gears......no, have not even considered it, with the 5.9, 360 cu in engine at stock performance I have 255bhp and 350lb-ft of torque. I have not found a situation yet where power was an issue.....well, too much sometimes!!! Really pisses off the Hemi Chargers when I beat them in street light races!!!!!!:bike_rider:

Have you pulled your Jumping-Jack trailer yet? How's the Power if you have?

Yes and love it, tho the rear suspension is a little "soft" when I add the tongue weight. To explain.....The up country springs are taller than my stock ones and have given me the lift, but these things are still the cadillac of the jeep world and so the spring are soft enough to give the cushy ride, thats one of the thinngs I love about this jeep compared to my previous LJ Crawler. With the softer springs, it does GREAT off road on its own, even with the weight in the back and hanging on the bumper. However, adding the tongue weight of the trailer pushes things a little far and cause it to squat a bit. Not real bad, but still enough. So, I think the next step will be to add a set of Firestone coil spring bags. They are not expensive and I will have onboard air anyway. I think that will give me the help I need when the trailer is attached but not loose the cadillac ride when not hooked up!!

Thanksgiving weekend at Hackberry creek:

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02306.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

This is what we were trying to overlook for a campsite but the wind up on top was too harsh so we had to move down into a pocket. This is Devils Canyon.
DSC02288.jpg

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
Check out this rear carrier that keeps the rear bumper in tact....It builds on the trailer hitch and mounting so it is removable.
I like that design. I would think that extending it all the way to the passenger side would help protect the bumper even more. Seems like a simple enough concept(although I would most likely need to get new dies for the tubing bender).
As far as changing the gears......no, have not even considered it, with the 5.9, 360 cu in engine at stock performance I have 255bhp and 350lb-ft of torque.
That's good to hear. You still have me beat by 30hp/50lb-ft, but I don't see it being a major difference.

Thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated.

Azlugz

Adventurer
My LJ had the 4.slow automatic and came stock with 3.73's. When I went to 33's on that, the 4.0, tho a very good engine, just did not have the beef and I had to re-gear to 4.56. With the V8, we are fine!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman