Project LXXIV - 1988 BJ74 Land Cruiser Build

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I saw the 74 at the Adventure Gear Expo on Saturday and it is just as awesome in person. The new bumpers look great!

Right on! I was there for a good part of the day as well working our booth. We had a couple of JDM rigs (2 in our booth and one in the Camp Chef booth) and ARB's Tacoma/Xventure Trailer. Thanks for the compliments.

FlyJester

Adventurer
Here's a few pics of the build and finished project that I took...

P1000582_zps159e3879.jpg

P1000573_zps9fe79baf.jpg

P1000567_zps7011fc29.jpg

....and on the trail...

P1000768_zpsee32c1d5.jpg

P1000774_zps95dc55dc.jpg

Some Aussie kept photo-bombing the pictures...

P1000766_zps8ca9e452.jpg

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
That 74 is a real Beauty... Will we be blessed with another build vid? I'm really enjoying the quality of your builds and threads your shop has been putting out. Always good work.

cruiseroutfit

NM-Frontier

Explorer
That all makes sense for the PTO, those factory bumpers do stick way out there!

How do the 5speed and auto compare? Think I read 33" may be pushing it with the auto, what do you think? Any other real drivability differences between the two now that you have one of each?:sombrero:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Got a chance to check this out for a few minutes before I started my drive home on tuesday. It is even cooler in person that in the pictures. The graphics were my favorite part.

thanks again for all the help kurt! I don't know what I would have done without you guys. I'm a life long customer!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Simply unbolt & remove. The side PTO cover for the t-case is a commonly available part (we stock it along with the gasket) so it can be made to look as if it were never there with the exception of the slot in the interior carpet kit.

Why remove? Clearance. I'm a big fan of the Toyota PTO setups, they work really well and are fairly tough however on the 70 Series in particular, they require a near 18" landing pad front bumper to mount. Here is the PTO on my other 74 (affectionalty known as Righty)

View attachment 225603

As you can see the PTO and associated bumper take up some real estate. Great for light duty off-road but it would have completely hindered the travel this truck has seen thusfar and will see in the future. :D

Hey Kurt....

I have a bunch of PTO winches for my Patrols. It is the same thing on Patrols, they stick way out. On my 83 Patrol I wanted to retain the PTO winch since they are so good. I have burned up a winch or two in the past and just much prefer a PTO as it can go all day and never burn up. Any ways, on the 83 Patrol I sucked the PTO winch all the way back up to the #1 cross member. This brought it back like a foot. It requires some fab do to though and perhaps you don't want to do any fab on this truck? I shortened the PTO shafts, sleeved them so super strong and made a custom winch cage. The result was absolutely fabulous! The PTO winch after these mods sticks out less than a bolt on electric would. I have pictures of all the work performed and the result if you want to see them.

No real detailed pictures over here but you can see on the 83 that the winch is sucked way back. PM me or whatever if you want the detailed pics of the mods to the winch.

https://www.facebook.com/westmoreland.ian/media_set?set=a.1336986682670.34299.1771228273&type=3

Cheers

zimm

Expedition Leader
Hey Kurt....

I have a bunch of PTO winches for my Patrols. It is the same thing on Patrols, they stick way out. On my 83 Patrol I wanted to retain the PTO winch since they are so good. I have burned up a winch or two in the past and just much prefer a PTO as it can go all day and never burn up. Any ways, on the 83 Patrol I sucked the PTO winch all the way back up to the #1 cross member. This brought it back like a foot. It requires some fab do to though and perhaps you don't want to do any fab on this truck? I shortened the PTO shafts, sleeved them so super strong and made a custom winch cage. The result was absolutely fabulous! The PTO winch after these mods sticks out less than a bolt on electric would. I have pictures of all the work performed and the result if you want to see them.

No real detailed pictures over here but you can see on the 83 that the winch is sucked way back. PM me or whatever if you want the detailed pics of the mods to the winch.

https://www.facebook.com/westmoreland.ian/media_set?set=a.1336986682670.34299.1771228273&type=3

Cheers

It always appeared to me that some minor fabrication could make the ptos sit back like a standard winch. I prefer the electric, but ptos have a cool factor.

The rig is coming together nicely.

cruiseroutfit

That all makes sense for the PTO, those factory bumpers do stick way out there!

How do the 5speed and auto compare? Think I read 33" may be pushing it with the auto, what do you think? Any other real drivability differences between the two now that you have one of each?:sombrero:

33's would be on the top end of the auto with stock gearing however they are easy to re-gear, 3.70, 4.10, 4.56, 4.59 and 5.29 are all available. With 33's and the auto, I think 4.56's would make them move nicely compared to the stock 4.11's.

My auto has 32" tires and doesn't get loaded up like this one, it's literally 100% bone stock and it get's used for trade shows, Cruiser events and date night occasionally.

cruiseroutfit

Hey Kurt....

Cheers

With the Land Cruiser setup there isn't much room to be gained by sucking the PTO back, I'd have to measure but I'm guessing several inches is all. You can't raise the PTO up as the shaft is literally 1/2" below the radiator as it stands, without getting too custom on the radiator and frame it just isn't super feasible. I have a BJ70 here with a custom front tube bumper that retained the PTO, it's not that bad and just ditching the diving boards on the corners made a big difference :D

I'll have to take a closer look at them tomorrow :D

digitalferg

Adventurer
33's would be on the top end of the auto with stock gearing however they are easy to re-gear, 3.70, 4.10, 4.56, 4.59 and 5.29 are all available. With 33's and the auto, I think 4.56's would make them move nicely compared to the stock 4.11's.

My auto has 32" tires and doesn't get loaded up like this one, it's literally 100% bone stock and it get's used for trade shows, Cruiser events and date night occasionally.

I've been running 255/85-16s on steelies on mine with the auto. Its totally fine around town and on flat highway, but as soon as I try to pull a highway hill, its pretty slow going. I already had the wheels/tires from my Tacoma so on they went when I got the BJ74. I am thinking alloy wheels would make a big difference, but I also think 4.56s would be perfect--but regearing is pretty far down on my priority list right now. I'm also not completely sold on the 255s on this rig either...id like a bit wider.

cruiseroutfit

Got a chance to check this out for a few minutes before I started my drive home on tuesday. It is even cooler in person that in the pictures. The graphics were my favorite part.

thanks again for all the help kurt! I don't know what I would have done without you guys. I'm a life long customer!

Not a problem at all John, my pleasure and I'm glad it worked out as it did. Olly really saved the day. Great getting to hang!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle