Project Mini Hägglund

Maybe you can train your neighbor and have him do the repetitive drilling and welding for the tracks? :)

I won`t let him use the drill press. I don`t want to be responsible if his fingers get tangled in the drill bit. I did this myself one time, so i know how dangerous this thing is...

I think you should sell me your van for $20, and toss in free shipping.

:ylsmoke:

Love the build.

Are the tires going to be off center in the tracks? will it put pressure one way or the other and want to throw the tracks?

Yes the tires will be off center, but the big Pistenbully snowcats have them off center too, so i don`t think there will be problems...

Started cutting the tire guides today:

10669290sg.jpg

While the saw was cutting i started drilling:

10669296fs.jpg

800 holes later:

10669292ho.jpg

Then i made a welding jig:

10669291lz.jpg

My neighbor grinded the pieces while i started welding:

10669289vs.jpg

When we called it a day:

10669300vg.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Looking good Stein-bot! Look up the "Random pics" thread I put in the fullsize section for some Pisten Bully shots / inspiration!

Last edited:
Thanks. I feel like a robot after making all this this, but it`s finished...

Welded 94 grousers today. I`m missing steel for the last 6, but i`ll get it on monday:

10680151gy.jpg

Also got the conveyor belt and plastic for the drive sprockets today:

10680148bs.jpg

10680150em.jpg

It`s my birthday tomorrow, so i`ll be happy to finish the first track there...

Can someone make me a drawing for the drive sprockets?

Thanks guys... :wavey:

First i cut the conveyor belt this morning:

10686730ba.jpg

Finished:

10686732ab.jpg

Then i started drilling holes:

10686731io.jpg

Finished:

10686733ii.jpg

Even my sister helped me today::

10686734lz.jpg

Ten i ran out of bolts, but had to place the track to see how it looks:

10686737qw.jpg

Also mounted a pair of headlights:

10686736vu.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Can someone make me a drawing for the drive sprockets?

I can take a pic of a Pisten Bully final drive with the drive cog on. Will that do? Might take a day or so to post it though...

Oh, fröhe gebortstag too! (Sorry if I spelled it wrong. Ute is asleep so I can't ask her:) ).

78Bronco

Explorer
It's tough for a square bar to mesh with a drive sprocket which is why chain has round barrels and bushings. You can buy chain that is better suited to what you are doing and bolt in to your belting. I have yet to see square mesh with round things.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Happy birthday Steinez, and a congratz on making the Hågglund come so close to completion. When do you think we can see a test run? Cheers, Chilli.:)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It's tough for a square bar to mesh with a drive sprocket.

A snow cats grousers are "square-ish". The tire guides are slightly more rounded, and the square stock Stein has used does have rounded corners so it could work I think. A lot will have to do with the shape of the drive sprocket.

Thanks for your wishes guys... :beer: It should be ready for a test drive next week...

So i made the drive sprocket prototype today. First i drawed it on some paper:

10697425of.jpg

Cut it out and transfered it on wood:

10697423ox.jpg

Cut it out:

10697430td.jpg

Fit`s perfect:

10697431dp.jpg

This is how i`m going to mount them. Two sprockets on each side, fastened with a bolt through the tubes. I`ll just have to cut the tubes to the right lenght :

10697435qs.jpg

10697436ej.jpg

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
so the tubes are no longer driving on the square tube, but are now just spacers for the gears? Prob run better (guessing) that way

Yes, i`m going with the complete snowcat track style with an appropriate drive sprocket. There`s no way that`d work with the tube style sprockets, but i hought i could incorporate tem n the new ones, and it looks like it`s working great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179