Project Mini Hägglund

Ok, so i started with the first real prototype of the drive sprocket today. This is the drawing:

9550565ara.jpg

Then i started fabricating it:

9550566otr.jpg

9550567qab.jpg

9550568sep.jpg

Unfortunately i`m missing a 20mm drill bit, so i couldn`t finish it. But i just had to tack some tubes on to test if it works. Well, it fit like it was designed for it... :eek: ;)

9550569hkx.jpg

I`ll add some flat stock between the tubes to center the track, same principle as elwenil mentioned...

9550570szl.jpg

I think this is the way to go, i`m really happy that it works like i thought... :)

Got the hydraulic cylinders today:

9568166jho.jpg

9568168dja.jpg

9568171qsv.jpg

9568173sxv.jpg

9568174xwz.jpg

This one has a damaged piston, but i`ll use it to control the vertical motion of both cars. This requires almost no pressure, so it`ll be fine...

9568177krl.jpg

seanz0rz

Adventurer
i see some issues.

the threads on the bolts through the tracks are going to drag on everything, especially the flat plates that help keep it centered, and will wear your drive sprocket badly. an option might be to sleeve them with some seamless tube, and keep them well greased. problem is they will pick up a ton of debris so the wear will be high.

i would also put something that looks like --)|| on your centering plates, basically reduce the sharp edge on that plate to aid in it sliding. -- is your existing plate, ) is some type of curved metal to smooth out the travel of the pin, || is the pin (bolt) on the track.

hoped that all made sense! looks awesome cant wait to see the result!

Don`t know what was written here, but i`d like to hear your opinions, so i can improve my design...

Made a prototype of the track assembly today. Everything works perfectly, exactly like i thought:

9662553guu.jpg

9662556xdx.jpg

The second track connection is just improvised, but it already works perfectly. I even got a video if you guys want to see it...

Of course i had to take a seat:

9662557oqz.jpg

9662558tvn.jpg

I still have to design a centering device for the drive sprocket, any ideas?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Steinez this thing is looking awesome :Wow1:already, and you are not even close to really getting the thing together yet. I have to admire your enthusiasm and your sure fire way to cut through the BS and get it done. All new projects are trial and error. Good on you for using your brain and making it happen. I was thinking that any limited slip differential (rear end) will steer by hitting the brake on one side. This will automatically transfer the power to the opposite side creating a steering effect. The track on one side will turn faster than the one on the other side and thus the whole unit will drive in the direction of the slow track. Have you considered this idea? It might be a simple and easy way to give you some turning ability. Keep us posted on this cool creation with LOTS OF PICS!:)

Thanks for your nice words.

The steering method you`re talking about is called skid steer. There are a few reasons why i`m not going to use this:

1. I would have to install brakes on all four drive sprockets. This isn`t easy, because i have very limited room there. It`d also be hard to adjust them to equal braking power on both cars.
2. If there`s braking force applied to one track, there`s no power transfered to it because of the open differentials. So i`d loose 50% of power while turning.
3. I`m going to weld both diffs for maximum traction.
4. Imagine driving on a slope without both cars connected. One car starts sliding and turns the other. Very dangerous...
5. The real thing has articulated steering, there has to be a reason they use it...

Btw., i`m going to pick up the donor car next weekend:

9692577ehh.jpg

1,2l 3cyl 75hp...

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
can you explain your steering setup? I don't quite understand how it is going to work.

It uses articulated steering between both cars. The same as a wheeled loader or big dumper:

9327981bdj.jpg

You can see the hydraulic ram in the foreground...

I`ll mount a engine driven hydraulic pump in conjunction with a 4/3 way valve and a hydraulic ram. It`ll be controlled by a joystick...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears