Project "Overlander 88"

Hi everyone.

New here and just wanted to throw some pics up of not exactly what I would call my build just yet, but more of a "work in progress". Ive dubbed it...project "Overlander 88" and here it goes....

I bought it local off craigslist for $1000. Has 257,000 miles on the original V6 3VZE. It ran a bit rough when I bought it and turns out it needed an injector in the number 6 cylinder. Replaced it and now it runs top notch. Its the base model 1988 pickup: 5spd, manual everything (Which I like) Nothing fancy inside except for the cloth split bench seat.:smiley_drive:

Here it was when I first got it. Took awhile to get the rims looking like that, although I plan on replacing them soon with base model OEM toyota steelies!!!

IMG00843-20110412-1817.jpg

Heres my Brahma canopy...absolutly nothing special. I bought it for my tacoma and then bought the wildernest for it and has been sitting ever since. With the help of my pressure washer, some simple green and a scrub brush, I managed to get it looking pretty good. Sat in the back yard for 2 years collecting grime.

IMG00845-20110412-1818.jpg

My whole plan was to find a good, used ARB roof tent to mount on top of the Brahma canopy and guess what popped up on craigslist!!!!!!:wings:

IMG00844-20110412-1818.jpg

After a little fab work and some drilling of the canopy, I managed to get the ARB tent mounted up on the canopy. Doesnt look that fancy but when the Wildernest isnt being used, this will do the trick.

Sorry for the bad night pics. It was the first chance I had to snap some shots. My grandpa and uncle were checking it out. They had never seen one of the ARB tents before and they thought it was sweet!
IMG00848-20110412-2007.jpg

IMG00847-20110412-2006.jpg

IMG00846-20110412-2006.jpg

Went to Lowes hardware and bought a sheet of rubber mat for $25 to make a nice bed insert. After some measuring and cutting heres what I came up with.

IMG00850-20110413-1418.jpg

After the bed mat was in and the canopy/tent were mounted...I wanted to add a simple accessory to the outside of the canopy. Picked up these Quick Fist mounts for $8. Easy way to mount a shovel.

IMG00851-20110413-1716.jpg

Two holes drilled and two bolts later heres the result.

IMG00852-20110413-1745.jpg

And with the shovel

IMG00861-20110419-1524.jpg

Now I thought Id show a few shots of the equipment, for what it is lol

Back shot inside the canopy. Center black box holds most of the recovery gear: Straps, compressor, chain, exhaust jack ect: and my gas and water cans on the side. Need a better mounting place for them, they tend to move alot in the back. And the two center boxes hold most of the basic camping gear.

IMG00869-20110419-1549.jpg

Simple back shot with the stove out: What is out of the picture is the other normal gear that's in the back. (cooler, chairs, lanterns, and the mountain bikes when they fit)!

IMG00868-20110419-1549.jpg

IMG00870-20110419-1550.jpg

Camp setup....(in the back yard so to speak) :camping:

IMG00864-20110419-1542.jpg

IMG00865-20110419-1542.jpg

IMG00866-20110419-1542.jpg

IMG00867-20110419-1543.jpg

Future items for the truck to come....ARB front bumper, winch, Lightforce lights, rock sliders and rear bumper, and some OEM steel wheels, driver side awning and some other nic nacs:wings:

rodtermaat

Nice set up

What a great looking set up for not a lot of cash. Seeing that tent in the trailer really put it into perspective. Those things are huge.

Thanks! Yes I had never seen one of those tents before in person until I went to buy this one. I only saw pictures, and when I got to the guys house I was shocked at how big they actually are.

Thanks washington taco! Yes I also had an 89. Grey standard cab with a 22RE. Loved it. I was originally looking for another 4cyl when I found this one. I was skeptical with the 3.0V6 because of their reputation but this one has never given me any problems other than the injector when I first bought it. 257,000 and still going!!!!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Brahma?

Uh...you're putting that weight on a Brahma? Are they fiberglass now? Because back in the 80's (when I lived in WA, BTW), Brahma toppers were made out of a thin thermoplastic (can't remember the exact name) that was absolutely NOT intended to be weight bearing. Or do you have some internal framework holding up the RTT?

I had a thermoplastic topper on my '84 Mazda B2000 and while it worked fine for weather protection, it was in no way the equal of a fiberglass topper.

BRUCDONR.jpg

After a few years of sun exposure it began to break down badly. The panels began to sag and warp. Almost all the thermoplastic shells I see around here are cracked below the long window.

Nice build, but I would recommend that you double-check the load-bearing ability of that topper bfore you head too far into the boondocks.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Uh...you're putting that weight on a Brahma? Are they fiberglass now? Because back in the 80's (when I lived in WA, BTW), Brahma toppers were made out of a thin thermoplastic (can't remember the exact name) that was absolutely NOT intended to be weight bearing. Or do you have some internal framework holding up the RTT?

I had a thermoplastic topper on my '84 Mazda B2000 and while it worked fine for weather protection, it was in no way the equal of a fiberglass topper.

BRUCDONR.jpg

After a few years of sun exposure it began to break down badly. The panels began to sag and warp. Almost all the thermoplastic shells I see around here are cracked below the long window.

Nice build, but I would recommend that you double-check the load-bearing ability of that topper bfore you head too far into the boondocks.

I can't second this enough. Every Brahma canopy I have ever seen is plastic, not fiberglass. I don't think that I would ever trust using one as a load bearing device. Maybe a roof rack would work up there for light stuff, but I can't imagine a RTT being safe up there.

Toyotero

Explorer
Great looking set up... you should keep a running tally of what you spend on it and calculate total cost of ownership. I bet you'll be in the single digits of percentage of what some members have spent on rigs and kit and have a very capable and comfortable rig :-D

Hi everyone thank you all for the welcome here!

To everyone who was asking.....at this time I dont have a whole lot of reinforcement regarding the RTT. The canopy has a factory cross support on the inside and it seems pretty sturdy. I will take some upper inside shots soon.

I will agree with everyone that yes it does need some inside support.

Great looking set up... you should keep a running tally of what you spend on it and calculate total cost of ownership. I bet you'll be in the single digits of percentage of what some members have spent on rigs and kit and have a very capable and comfortable rig :-D

On that very note...heres the total cost of everything I can come up with for "how it sits"

Truck: $1000
Tires: (brand new but bought them from a friend) $275
Single Fuel Injector: $125
Basic Tune up: $75
Windsheild: (original one had a crack all the way across) $180
ARB Tent: (used off craigslist) $700
Canopy: ( already had it but heres the price) $200

Total price of $2555!!!!!:coffeedrink:

New 15" steelies!

So....I mentioned something in the post earlier about getting some OEM Toyota 15" steel wheels for the truck.......look what I got today!!!!!:wings:

Great shape. Got them off of craigslist.
IMG00888-20110426-1142.jpg

So this morning I lifted the truck and put it on some jackstands until the tires were done being mounted/balanced.

IMG00889-20110426-1523.jpg

So....while I was waiting for the tires to be done I was doing a bit of looking over the front suspension and came across a bad find.................:(

Front Passenger side CV boot has a huge tear and the drivers side has one about an inch long. Heres the passenger CV boot.

IMG00890-20110426-1524.jpg

So once I saw that I said well looks like a good time for a coffee break!:coffeedrink:

Once the tires were done I went and picked them up and went strait home to put them on.....I was more than satisfied with how they look!

Here ya go!:wings:

IMG00892-20110426-1550.jpg

IMG00893-20110426-1550.jpg

IMG00891-20110426-1549.jpg

I like how it looks more like a purpose built /expedition/outback vehicle.

I like it! How about you guys?!?!?!?:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears