Project Overlander

Topgun514

Adventurer
Thanks Adam,
I have thought about this but my jeeps a daily driver and I typically camp with 2 or more poeple. My gf will sleep in the vehicle too (where the roofrack REALLY comes into play)

All my stuff can fit on top and 2 people can sleep fine in the back with just sleeping pads. I am 6 feet tall so its almost a squish but is just fine for me.

My interior space is very plentiful to be honest, my main concerns at this point are evening out the lift (for anyone with an AAL or shackles)- My sleeping bag and pad are nice and my tent is nice too just in case anyway!

I love the suggestions though, keep em' coming!

Topgun514

Adventurer
Well some updates on this:

After my big trip planned to glacier national park, it could not have gone any worse for the XJ. About 30 seconds into the drive leaving the gas station out of SLC, my mom goes to plug in her cell phone into the 12V. I take off Jimi Hendrix for a few minutes as my 12V powers my ipod adapter. Blam...no stereo, no 12V. The older fuse must not have handled the new power source and that blew my radio and 12V. No worries though, my mom and I can chat for 8 hours to Helena.

I go to pull over about 15 minutes in because I already am going crazy thinking "No worries though, my mom and I can chat for 8 hours to Helena...AHHHHH" So I try to pull over just like any other Jeep owner would do and turn the car off and on again to have it miraculously start back again. Upon going to pull over, Death Wobble comes with a vengeance. My rear shocks have litterally been ripped from the bar pins and now I am driving a boat...the death wobble was due to this...I knew I had weak shock mounts but DAMN.

So I keep on truckin' because I can fix it in Helena. About 100 miles out my clutch goes a tad soft though, adding insult to injury. 200 Miles out and its still getting softer, finally, I have no clutch come 250 miles out of Helena.
We pull over to stop and the previously filled Master Cylinder is BONE dry. My feet are covered in DOT3 from the leak. I go under to bleed the system and just get a hot explosion of DOT3 in my face. Satan himself might have walked away from me with the thoughts in my head.

Thankfully, my Mom, calms me down, and teaches me a new method of driving. I throw the Jeep in first let the starter get me going, timing my shifts on a given interval that does not grind gears. Long story short, we limp into Helena.

The next day the Jeep goes into the shop for a new MC and shocks put BACK in, we take my Aunts Subaru up to Glacier. Now, I have the cleanest running Jeep I joke, but it was a great trip and gorgeous country. I loved every second of exploring Glacier and its a place I know I will be back to.

SDC10673.jpg

SDC10669.jpg

SDC10623.jpg

SDC10606.jpg

SDC10593.jpg

SDC10588.jpg

100_0819.jpg

As for progress on the Jeep, some have seen my new parts car that I am just taking a few things off of then getting rid of. One of which was the tires. So here are the new(ish) 31x10.50R15's. They are mostly great on tread besides one tire which is very low. There was also a spare tire brand new-BRAND NEW, 235/75R15 which will replace my even smaller spare tire. No full sized spare just yet. These will only be until Xmas when I get 4 new ones. I have also mounted a shovel for easy access, fixed that center console that the top flies off of it, and gotten a few more Overlanding things: Camp stove that is thinner than the Coleman 2 burner, plates, flashlights, and cookware. I maximized internal space by fitting everyday carry tools in the center console, straps and jacks under the rear seats, and other space saving techniques. (Parts Jeep is the new tan/grey one- first 2 shots are my Jeep without the tires mounted, just showing the parts jeep)

SDC10700.jpg

SDC10698.jpg

Here are some pics of the tires and shovel mounted:
SDC10708.jpg

SDC10707.jpg

Once I can sell the parts jeep for enough, I have been quoted by a friend who will paint my Jeep white. This will be great for temperature. Also, getting rid of those vinyl seats will help my rump. Stay tune for more updates. Id like to do some camping up at Big Cottonwood soon so you can see the Jeep in Camper mode hopefully

BEVAN

Adventurer
Awsome XJ If I had it to do all over again i'd set mine up to run 31's not 35's....Do you have the internal slave cyl on your xj still ?

Topgun514

Adventurer
Yup bevan, internal slave and so far that seems ok still. If the tranny goes in the future its gonna have an AX15 swap but for now this ba 10 is still kickin'

BEVAN

Adventurer
we have some very good u-pull junkyards here, let me know if your looking for anything specific...skids are like 5.99 each.

Last edited:

Topgun514

Adventurer
Some updates:

I am in the middle of a cool little comfort swap. WJ seats in a RENIX XJ. A tad bit of welding (which apparently I am allergic to the fumes of cutting/welding metal. That is another story)
I also got this time to set up some rear storage. I of course then took amazing pictures of me in camping mode but NOOOO, the only photos that didnt come out with my camera were those ones.

Other than that, threw some old 31's on, which are going bad, I will get new ones on at Xmas. A few things in the works on cleaning up the sagging back end (barely noticeable but I notice.) Got some new straps, and also cleaning up storage for everyday carry. Tools in the arm rest area, tow straps and jacks in underneath the seats in the rear, and spare fluids, first aid, and a blanket in the rear area I made. Fire extinguisher is underneath my seat.

Here is what you really want to see

SDC10707-1.jpg

SDC10708.jpg

Seats
SDC10718.jpg

SDC10717.jpg

Storage- Thinking about throwing some mesh up on that.
SDC10716.jpg

Topgun514

Adventurer
Just got some new tires, I was gonna go All Terrains again but wanted to try something new. These Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are very impressive so far and I have about 30 miles 4x4 and extreme snow conditions. They are excellent and very solid on the road. I am impressed on my ride quality too, the All Terrains were always so hard but these really smooth things out, no more clunks over bumps, and hard braking and steering is improved as well.

I also have put on strokedjeeps.com bored TB to 60 mm for renix, which has made driving much more enjoyable, even with 31's, I do not need to constantly downshift on the highway comparing to when I was on 235's- I cannot even imagine what will happen with new gears (not likely happening soon :) )but this is a definite improvement and super easy- once you realize the TPS goes under the throttle edge- I am not too smart I guess.

Also, got the other seat welded in, so nice to have comfy seats, riding and driving enjoyment has increased about 15 hp I think.

Here is a shot- only angle I could get really in the driveway
SDC10749.jpg

The seats kinda match too- black front, grey stockers in the back
SDC10748.jpg

SDC10747.jpg

Tread pattern
SDC10742.jpg

Tires- about how much lift do you think this is, I am contemplating dropping it 1 inch?

SDC10745.jpg

Topgun514

Adventurer
Additions as some have seen is the tire carrier.

SDC10758.jpg

SDC10753.jpg

I threw some paint on this tire so it is all blacked out.

I also have since been in contact with someone who will give me a 1 inch spacer for my front and I am going to switch this out for my 2 inch and drop the front to be equal with the rear. I figure for the time being, I do not want to upgrade the front end parts and joints as well as I do not have the funds to. I do not want to build out of my means and dropping it will be a bit safer too and fine for 31's. I also had really poor heat in the vents so I found a lose cable- a zip tie later and I am blowing hot air.

I also did some Autopal h4 upgrades to the 55/60W lights, SO much better than stock.

Come more warmth I will be putting in the lift pucks (lowering pucks?) and redo-ing the cooling system with a new radiator- probably new Tstat and waterpump too. Preventative maintenance is the summer job as I will be doing much more overlanding with her hopefully. Then some differential fluid changes I think at least in the rear.

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for the update. I love the fact that your project thread has just as many trip photos as truck photos.

You need to apply for the ExPoordition!

Topgun514

Adventurer
As many know by now, I got in a small accident a bit more than a month ago. This weekend looks like I will be going to the shop and fixing it. As with an accident, I have slimmed down my budget and the Jeep. The roof rack is gone for accident money but for the best.

I was going to use my tax money for a snorkel but this will take precedence getting "Jays Jeep" back onto the road (my name is Colin btw, its just the name). I can wait another year and as I am in college I have no problems taking this slow, especially due to the economy. Once the jeep is fixed (damage yet to be determined) then I will do as much preventative maintanance before May. This will circle around "cleaning up" the XJ and replacing that leaky radiator - probably a T-stat too- for Moab. Getting a fan shroud as well as fixing or replacing that broken sway bar mount. Hopefully finding time to even out the leaf springs too.

Just an update for everyone!!!

As for futuremost plans. A snorkel and roofrack lay on a list for me. I hope for an ARB or Garvin rack, or making a rack that looks almost like a Hannible. Stay Tuned!

Topgun514

Adventurer
More plans become held off:

The hit my car took was apparently worse than I thought. The frame mounts for the LCA's are bent a bit and the shop wants 7-900 for fixing it. I got quoted by a local offroad shop to build new long arms and install for 600 though so it looks like I will be getting some long arms. This was not part of my build or my budget so after this, it will be preventative maintance of tune up parts and radiator stuff. Then the Jeep will be parked most of the year.

I am very sad to say bigger plans and trips are gone now. It pains me to think because of gas, college, economy etc, that I slowly lose a joy I hold so dear. But the future prospect of jobs and riches excite me. Who knows what the future holds?

Of course- Jays Jeep will ride like a Cadillac. Bright side of everything.

Topgun514

Adventurer
Another Update and I will add pics later!

The accident got all fixed for a bit under 500. For that price, I got my LCA Axle mounts welded in a heavy duty fashion as well as gusseted, my brakes got adjusted and I got Rubicon Express Adjustable Control arms to adjust for any camber issues and a yearly alignment. I am very excited about the Superflex joints and the ride is much smoother.

I also just put in a new (used) radiator with metal tanks but of course, my battery is now dead.

So, list of things:
Battery
Fan Shroud
Tune up
Adjust lift in rear

Next weekend I am planning on getting a craigslist ARB Rack too which will really set everything off.

Just Empty Every Pocket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12