Project "Rupert" '91 Ford Explorer

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
Hey guys, I've been lurking on here a while and decided it was finally time to put up my project since I need to start getting ideas for it... I recently (Feb '09) bought a '91 Ford Explorer 2wd 5-speed for the wonderful price of $200 :D I've been driving it since then (seeing what needs work) and I haven't done anything to it... I picked the Explorer because all of my vehicle based trips are inside the US and I highly doubt there is another platform that has as many spares as the Ford Ranger/Explorer... I know I have my pick of 4.0L engines in front of dead transmissions if I ever need one... Most anything can be picked up dirt cheap... School starts in a month so I'll have some money, and then the work starts, here's my plan:

4WD Swap

Aux Rear Fuel Tank

2-3" Lift and (5) 235/85-16 (Cooper ST, Goodyear Duratrac, or Authority's, haven't decided yet)

4.10 Gears and Selectable Rear Locker (front will come this Spring, haven't decided on brand yet, ARB or E-locker)

Custom Built F&R Bumpers, Sliders, Skids and Rack

Front Winch (might get a rear mount this Spring)

Water Tank

Storage Drawers/Bed Platform

Dual Batteries

Some type of GPS system, and HAM/CB gear

I think that's it for now... I'm sure I'll think of other stuff during the process, if anyone has any ideas I'd like to know...

I have a couple questions to begin with... As for a water tank, how are most built, are they a stainless steel shell with some type of (PVC?) bladder inside? I'm confused as to how to make (or get made) a water tank... And I have a sunroof and am looking for a good idea as to how to build my roof rack as close as possible to the roof and still retain use of both the sunroof and rack? It sticks up maybe 4-5"...

BTW - I'm a Geology/Biology student at APSU, so I can get my PhD in Vertebrate Paleontology...

Last edited:

bucketosudz

Explorer
Welcome to the Portal!!! I owned a Silver 92 Explorer myself, and unlike many I had very little problems at all in the 6+years I owned it. It was a very capable go-to vehicle for light trails and camping excursions. I had the auto with mine and it didnt skip a beat.

Conversions to 4wd are often very involved in most cases, and It is likely this will be the same situation. You also might consider a donor 4x4 to utilize and swap rather than making yours a 4by. But thats just my .02

I will be watching your build, and heres wishing you the best of luck on your studies!

Once again Welcome! :wings:

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
Welcome to the Portal!!! I owned a Silver 92 Explorer myself, and unlike many I had very little problems at all in the 6+years I owned it. It was a very capable go-to vehicle for light trails and camping excursions. I had the auto with mine and it didnt skip a beat.

Conversions to 4wd are often very involved in most cases, and It is likely this will be the same situation. You also might consider a donor 4x4 to utilize and swap rather than making yours a 4by. But thats just my .02

I will be watching your build, and heres wishing you the best of luck on your studies!

My friend has a '95 with the A4LD automatic with 200K+ miles and no problem... I've also seen them die before 100K so who knows... As to the 4WD swap, that's another reason I got an Explorer, Ford's TTB D35 can be swapped into a 2WD Explorer with only having to remove a few rivets or bolts (depending on year)... I've been pleasantly surprised with the capabilities of it with only being 2WD with a rear clutch type LSD...

Attachments

• IMG_2136web.jpg
    IMG_2136web.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 137

Rot Box

Explorer
If you are planning on putting the effort into a 4wd conversion one option you could look at is a Dana 30 front axle swap from a Jeep Cherokee XJ. The TTB in the explorers is okay, but the solid beam D30 opens so many more doors... It will be a little more involved, but the payoff will be worth it imo.

www.therangerstation.com is a great resource for these Fords too. Good luck and have fun with your build :elkgrin:

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
If you are planning on putting the effort into a 4wd conversion one option you could look at is a Dana 30 front axle swap from a Jeep Cherokee XJ. The TTB in the explorers is okay, but the solid beam D30 opens so many more doors... It will be a little more involved, but the payoff will be worth it imo.

www.therangerstation.com is a great resource for these Fords too. Good luck and have fun with your build :elkgrin:

I've been on The Ranger Station for a while now, it's nice to see someone recommend the name though... I plan on keeping the TTB D35... The hardest part of the 4WD swap will be putting in the 4WD transmission and I plan on just swapping mine for one, the PO ran my M50D low on fluid for a while so the synchros in it are pretty worn... I don't see any point in swapping to an axle that is weaker than what will bolt right up... The D35 with 760x u-joints and welded caps, and Warn Jeep D35 hubs with a roughly 32" tire will be pretty much indestructible I think... I might do a 35/44 hybrid (44 knuckle swap) which would give me an axle stronger than a D44... I don't want this rig to get very tall (3" max lift) due to stability reasons, plus a small trailer might be in store for the future...

chasespeed

Explorer
If you are going through all this trouble, and going to add some height...

Send those beams to AutoFab, or Camburg, and have them cut and turned. You can get some height, factory pivots(less leverage, and more strength), and it will align SO much better......

Having the fab work done by them is the best bet. They have been at it forever, and it will be right... the first time... no trial and error there. Couple those with some Bilsteins, and some Eibach springs... you have a set-up that will ride great, handle just about any abuse you want to throw at it....

Solid axle has its place. I will never argue that. I have one now... BUT, my bronco was truly capable in just about any situation...

Hell, came factory with 4.10s, and front and rear LSDs...

Chase

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
If you are going through all this trouble, and going to add some height...

Send those beams to AutoFab, or Camburg, and have them cut and turned. You can get some height, factory pivots(less leverage, and more strength), and it will align SO much better......

Having the fab work done by them is the best bet. They have been at it forever, and it will be right... the first time... no trial and error there. Couple those with some Bilsteins, and some Eibach springs... you have a set-up that will ride great, handle just about any abuse you want to throw at it....

Solid axle has its place. I will never argue that. I have one now... BUT, my bronco was truly capable in just about any situation...

Hell, came factory with 4.10s, and front and rear LSDs...

Chase

I thought about have a C&T done, but the price is a little out of reach right now... I might have a D44 TTB (plus a F-150 8.8" cut down to RBV width) cut and turned and put under my Explorer, but that wouldn't be for at least a year...

michaelross

I strongly agree. I also own an explorer and i have been using it for over 5 years now. Still tough and it is a really great vehicle. And i don't have a hard time looking for ford explorer accessories because you can find it almost anywhere.

Last edited:

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
So, I've been swamped with school this semester and haven't even had time to start on this, lol... Besides I've been DD'ing the Explorer (my Camaro needs a new radiator)... I have been out several times this semester, not nearly enough, but some... I can tell the very first thing I need to do is go through the entire suspension and repair and replace what needs it... I have a shock that (just recently became) detached... Suspension is the first thing I'm going through, then tires... Hopefully, I'll be able to start next semester (probably over Christmas break)... I'm itching to get this going and get out there!

zjrog

Observer
The 4x2 and 4x4 engine crossmembers are different, and even the 4x4 axle brackets will bolt in, the geometry will be off. Are you plannign a solid axle instead?

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
No, the engine crossmembers are the same regardless of drive... All I have to do is bolt up the beams, and swap out my 2wd tranny for a 4wd one... No, I do not plan on doing a solid axle swap...

rparker762

Observer
No, the engine crossmembers are the same regardless of drive... All I have to do is bolt up the beams, and swap out my 2wd tranny for a 4wd one... No, I do not plan on doing a solid axle swap...

Correct. The same with any Ford with the twin I-beams. As long as the years are close no problem.

Beanmachine7000

Correct. The same with any Ford with the twin I-beams. As long as the years are close no problem.

Almost... The Ford Ranger has a different crossmember between the 2wd and 4wd versions, which requires pulling the engine, unattaching the crossmember, spreading the frame and fitting the 4wd crossmember in... The Explorer/Bronco II do not... In fact, the Bronco II actually has a 'dummy' t-case in most 2wd models, so a 4wd swap is even easier...

FROADER

Adventurer
You won't need to do the 44 outers if you're only going to run 32s. The D35 will be plenty strong for any trails you go on with 32s. A basic 4" Skyjacker, Superlift or Trailmaster lift will work perfectly for you and would allow you to run 33s if you ever felt the need to bump up a size. You've got the right idea with the Jeep hubs too.

Should be a cool build. If you haven't already, check out explorerforum.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears