Project RZR/V-strom hauler

STANG302

Observer
Well after battling what I can and can not haul with my Ecodiesel. For the time being I've written off the truck camper idea. And have decided for the time being to build a lite toy hauler. Started off by selling my old enclosed trailer and picked up a 14' PJ ATV trailer. This will be set up to carry my RZR S and V-strom around MN/WI where I ride the most.

For the time being I will be reliant on my Kodiak truck tent. Eventually I would like to mount a RTT to the trailer. Also with some inspiration from a camp kitchen build found here. I am building up my own kitchen in a aluminum truck box which will be mounted to the trailer or could be slid back in the truck.

This will not be all that fancy or off road worthy. Just hoping someone will enjoy my build?

For starters ran and picked up my new PJ 84" x 14' ATV trailer. And got a spare tire and mount installed. We have never had a trailer with a flip up gate before. Sure does a good job as an air brake, poor ED will not hit OD towing this thing empty.

Got the trailer home just in time for my new toy to show up. A RZR S 1000!

Once I got the RZR home I was able to fit tie downs. And seal up some areas on the trailer to slow the rust down. Also got to installing some accessories: mirror, roof, windshield, back panel, front bumper w/ 5" leds, overhead & door storage bags.

STANG302

Observer
Was able to get started last weekend on my camp kitchen. Trying to use up everything I've had laying around. Aluminum box is out of my old truck. Used up a can of degreaser and a brush to remove six years of grease and oil. Turned better than expected and did not need to brake out the pressure washer. An old truck camper laying in the weeds is donating a sink and misc. parts.

Was going to pull the counter top out of the camper and cut it down to fit. But a trip to Menards netted me a scratch & dent counter top cheap. So that came home with me. Never been much of a wood worker. So I was not to confident in my abilities to cut out a hole for the sink. I don't know why I was nervous went pretty smooth with the whole measure twice cut once principle!

Camper also had a functioning rocket pump but after realizing it would be way to tall. Went and picked up a shur-flow faucet w/pump. Pretty slick setup as it will do two things for me. First, everything rotates and fold pretty flat. Second it has its own pump so it can be ran independently from the main pump used for the hot water heater. The shur-flow will cover cold water duty. While an unused kitchen sink sprayer will be used for hot water.

Hot water will be provided by a Ridgeyard 6L. And will be fed by a couple washing machine valves I had left over. A little trimming was needed to mount them flat to the box. Also added a garden hose water supply connection.

Later this week I plan to get water plumbed and electrical installed.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've always wondered if those trailers with the mesh gates catch a lot of air. Does the RZR on the trailer change the aerodynamics enough to allow cruising in OD?

Last edited:

STANG302

Observer
There is a noticeable difference loaded up. RZR seems to do a good job of redirecting air around the gate.
Unloaded it feels like there is more drag than my old 8.5 x 16 enclosed!

STANG302

Observer
After a busy weekend getting projects done around the house. I was able to make some more progress. Despite my first issue with ordering anything off Amazon. Ordered a water pump close to a month ago and has yet to ship.

So with out a pump and Memorial weekend fast approching. I've decided to hold off on getting the hot water system plumbed and working. For the time being I will rely on cold potable water fed by the shur-flow faucet. I have yet to test it out but hoping it has enough oomph to pull from my external tank.

Forgive the mess its a work in progress. I don't know if my inability to hold a straight line with the saw or the box not being square. But i ended up with some large gaps around the counter. Also decided to cut it down to 26" to allow room for a storage box and my toilet or more storage.

Got my USB & 12v charge port along with amp meter installed and wired. Found that I will need to squeeze my last surviving Optima yellow top between the sink and storage box. Not underneath the sink like I wanted. Still need to figure out a way to tie it down wile keeping a smooth bottom to the box.

STANG302

Observer
Well so much for shur-flow quality. Attempted to power up and test the Faucet. As soon as I switched it on we had a slight thermal event!

Pulled the fuse as quick as I could. Looks like a bad harness coming out of the faucet. Hopefully they will cover it and get me a new one. Will get some pics up tomorrow.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Wow! Is the pump inside that unit? How far can it pull water from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
That looks like it melted in a few spots, meaning the whole wire was getting very hot... Maybe the motor pulling too many amps?

Awesome looking RZR by the way. I've been wondering if one of those would be better, or an older Jeep of equivalent value. Can you explain your thoughts on going your direction (PM is fine if you don't want to clutter your post).

Don

-

STANG302

Observer
Unfortunately where I ride in MN/WI. There is very little area that you can actually trail ride a Jeep. The hand full of area's that you can are only open a couple times a year. On the other hand ATV trails crisscross both states. And those few area's that do allow Jeeps now accept SxS's on there trails. So for me its a win win situation to have a SxS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman