Project Super Lux Safari Vehicle

Amauri

Explorer
Jeep Commander!

Initially not that expensive, witch leaves plenty of money left over to make it unique.

1. MUST be luxurious, leather seats, quiet etc. Maybe not the most luxurious but they are nice
2. MUST seat 6 people without having to fold down seats. I.e. easy access. Might not meet your needs here as far as access to the rear
3. MUST have low range Check
4. MUST be stone axe reliable Check
5. MUST have roof openings so as to view wildlife. Check
6. MUST be safe. Check
7. MUST have room for gear. Check

AEV_Commander_Arctic.jpg

DSCN2551.jpg

2009_seating.jpg

4769641-lg.jpg

Maybe not super luxury but super awesome.

herm

Adventurer
why not a suburban or Yukon xl with more interior and storage upgrades would fit the bill.

beautiful and capable trucks. I trucked over 24 hours of drive time in a 3/4 ton with 5 other oil field workers (read rather large people) and all of our gear stuffed in the back last summer. We were a little tight with a weeks worth of luggage each, but made it just fine. You could add upgraded tires, roof rack and grill guard with lots of lighting and a winch.

i do not see any advantage to using the Toyota. In my opinion the interior design of the newer Toyota is not nearly as good as the gm products.

I am not sure how hard importing would be, but this would be amazing:

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/4x4-tour-buses.html

Bugspray

Adventurer
Update

The higher ups have decided that we need two vehicles rather than just one. Also they mandated that we need to lease for three years so unfortunately we cant just buy something and modify it to suit our needs. I don't think a lease is a great idea but hey I just work there.....so now it looks like we are stuck with a stock vehicle and tires. After several calls and emails I was not able to get ahold of the people who make the "Pink Jeeps" rig as that was actually the one rig that they REALLY liked and would consider purchasing. Oh well....I think we will end up with a GM product as we have GM service facility here.

zukrider

Explorer
factory and lease lead me to reccomend a Power Wagon!

you cannot beat the performance, style, or overall durability! and its leasable!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The higher ups have decided that we need two vehicles rather than just one. Also they mandated that we need to lease for three years so unfortunately we cant just buy something and modify it to suit our needs. I don't think a lease is a great idea but hey I just work there.....so now it looks like we are stuck with a stock vehicle and tires. After several calls and emails I was not able to get ahold of the people who make the "Pink Jeeps" rig as that was actually the one rig that they REALLY liked and would consider purchasing. Oh well....I think we will end up with a GM product as we have GM service facility here.
Contact Dave at AEV about the Pink Jeep thing; he knows them.

Or their general email: reservations@pinkjeep.com

factory and lease lead me to reccomend a Power Wagon!

you cannot beat the performance, style, or overall durability! and its leasable!
I have a PW; you could take 4 passengers at most in one.

gahi

Adventurer
Sounds like a Suburban with some roof hatches or large rear sunroofs, and sliding back windows would work best. But I think getting two of them plus extra mods might put you over $100k.

11_che_sub_34_gallery_ext_large_01.jpg

11_ch_sub_3_4_ovr_safety.jpg

bansil

Adventurer
I guess I don't understand

Why do you need such a plush highend "safari" vehicle

I spent 3 weeks in S.A. and went on numerous Safaris in several countries.

I went for the experience,it was great to be in 4 star hotels at night don't get me wrong,and the more luxury ride to the safaris was nice(AC and cold beer)...

when It came down to the actual safari(site seeing and wildlife watching) the scaled down rugged toyotas and land rovers were the bomb,exactly what I expected and wanted,a true adventure.

After bouncing around getting dusty and wearing out camera batteries...it was back into the AC and back to the plush resorts to sit around and be catered to as we spoke of our adventures.

Maybe being out of the US made this seem like the perfect mix of luxury and safari.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Get 3 2011 Rubicon Unlimiteds and hire part-timers. It's a busted economy; people are cheaper than equipment.
They're giving away the 2011s but they're fine for offroad. Don't need too much to mod them. Bet you could get all three for well under $100K.

Get 3 2011 Rubicon Unlimiteds and hire part-timers. It's a busted economy; people are cheaper than equipment.
They're giving away the 2011s but they're fine for offroad. Don't need too much to mod them. Bet you could get all three for well under $100K.

agreed the 2011-2012's look amazing inside. leather power windows and what not it is very nice. very capable,leasable, looks great!.

Bugspray

Adventurer
I guess I don't understand

Why do you need such a plush highend "safari" vehicle

I spent 3 weeks in S.A. and went on numerous Safaris in several countries.

I went for the experience,it was great to be in 4 star hotels at night don't get me wrong,and the more luxury ride to the safaris was nice(AC and cold beer)...

when It came down to the actual safari(site seeing and wildlife watching) the scaled down rugged toyotas and land rovers were the bomb,exactly what I expected and wanted,a true adventure.

After bouncing around getting dusty and wearing out camera batteries...it was back into the AC and back to the plush resorts to sit around and be catered to as we spoke of our adventures.

Maybe being out of the US made this seem like the perfect mix of luxury and safari.

I agree. Ive been trying to push the idea of "rugged off road" safari vehicle(LR 110s,Jeeps,Gwagen) not something that looks like its headed to the mall(ie MB GL450). Even if we dont actually go to those "rugged off road" places I think having a vehicle that is capable gives at least the feeling we are. Alas I do not make the decisions around here and the "bosses" want something high end and luxurious which is what makes us 5 star and 5 diamond.
That being said I'm fighting tooth and nail to get the right vehicle.
Stay tuned......

Bugspray

Adventurer

I do love the "Freedom top"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger