project- this noob gonna need help!

Mr Nice Guy

lol just kiddin..wanted to say hi and introduce my self though, been lurking here for a few months made and account and now finally posting this long post to start offf

im gonna need advice from you guys who know jeeps tho cause i got an 2000 jeep grand cherokee I6 and its finally about to be payed off in august.

about me- im your typical 20 year old outdoorsman lol love camping and hunting and wheelin with my buddies gettin lost in the woods and just havein a few laughs real easy to get along with and always lookin to learn somethin new which iv learned a ton here! this site is fantastic but how about my baby

long story short i bought my beast last summer and am finally about to pay it off and can really do what i wanna do to it cause ill have some cash. let the parental units drive it for awhile cause of gas (aint gettin no better but i want my jeep back) lol anyways alittle background is its got 109k on it the interior is almost perfect and the exterior has minimal scratches from the few trails iv attempted lol.

hopefully my mods will go something like this

Round one
-install my new cb somewhere (suggestions appriciated) where i wont lose the clean stock look
-instal my radar detector when i figure out how to run the charger wire to a fuse box so i dont have to wast my 12v socet.
-paint the faided exterior trim black
-a roof rack (please gimmi suggestions and pics here im not sure what im lookin at
-and then a few lights with switches and a nifty little pannel

Round two
-front/rear bumpers already got the front picked out but dont have the cash for it lol
-4.5 long arm lift havent decided a brand or anything yet
-33'' tires and thats more or less as big as ill go

thats it for now, ima get pics tmw when i have my camera. im only really looking for a mild exp build as im in college and this will also serve as my dd/weekend toy

hope to keep learning and please feel free to post your wj rigs to gimmi some ideas like i said im looking for good product reviews.. and where to get quality trail equipment

cj the nice guy

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
I am sure most would agree with me on this….so here is my thoughts. Also, welcome to the EXPO.

Being the fact you are in college…don't have a full time job…and you are trying to enjoy your youth…I say stay simple with the build. Spend more money on your trips and maintenance of the vehicle.

I say throw a CB in (floor mount, glove box, anywhere but on top of the dash) (Cobra Spider III…is a cheap but solid CB). Get a nice set of off-road lights (don't go overboard with lights). Important thing to have is a winch. Not only will the winch help you, but it will help others in need. As far as lift I would suggest a 2 inch lift. Tires I suggest 31's (make sure you got a nice matching spare). Highlift jack mounted inside (I say inside since I doubt you park your rig in a garage at school..keep it out of the weather). Once those mods have been complete go to the nearest Walmart and stock up on some cheap giant size bags of beef jerky and a couple of bottles of water. Go home, open the jerky, crack a bottle of water and If you got money left over...buy some quality camping gear! That's it……the more time you spend outdoors you will discover things about your rig and your gear that need to be changed to suit you better….save up and make those changes as need be.

Just keep in mind that with more lift and bigger tires comes more modifications (i.e. - SYE, steering, breaks, control arms, GEARS, etc. Bigger everything means stock stuff starts wearing faster and bigger chance things will break. Build the rig for exactly what you plan to do with it…don't build the rig so it looks cool in a parking lot at REI or Basspro.

Enjoy the outdoors…the rig is just a tool to get you into the “Back of Beyond” and make your adventure more enjoyable. Good luck in your travels…Don't forget to “tread lightly”…and always leave only your footprints behind! “Vaya con Dios”!

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Awesome...another WJ owner!!! :wings:

First off, welcome to ExPo! :beer:

I'm running a 2000 Grand Cherokee as well (also my daily driver), and I'd be more than happy to share what I've done (with the help of some awesome friends) on my rig. Currently I'm running a 4" lift and 31" tires (would like to go to 33" though...I'm really eying a set of Falken Wildpeak All Terrains), Surco Safari Rack with a spare tire mount, LightForce Striker 170's (GET THESE LIGHTS), a Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio with a really convenient and clean mount IMO, and I got lucky finding a trailer hitch spare tire carrier for $50 on craigslist too.

65c15f03d67e__1293567455000.jpeg

9513967a707a__1293567535000.jpg

a79797256c89__1293567539000.jpg

Since CD changers don't tend to like rough roads, I've opted for the cheapy mp3 player with the cassette adapter...sounds just like CD to me! On top is a Ram video camera mount
3493d2816b11__1293567547000.jpeg

On the left, under the steering wheel I've mounted a 300 watt power inverter that plugs into my cig lighter, and the CB is mounted on the shifter console on the right...easy access!
6b83f0da1922__1293567584000.jpeg

And with the removal of my CD changer in the rear, I now have storage for first aid!
47ae7232fc63__1293567654000.jpeg

On the driver side in the rear I mounted a second Mag-Lite and my fire extinguisher...
20146f42a976__1293567679000.jpeg

The lights on the top rear of my roof rack are some plain old Pep Boys lights I bought for $15-19 for the pair...make for nice auxilliary lighting...and of course the "must-have" Trasharoo
eb77d545fffd__1293567616000.jpg

The mounting is not complete, but for photo's sake...here is my c02 tank on the roof rack.
763c1ad60395__1293567770000.jpg

My wish list includes the new tires, front bumper with winch, ham radio, a pair of 4 gallon RotopaX fuel cans for the roof, and unlimited time and $ to go out exploring!

Last edited:

Mr Nice Guy

yeah lol my build is gonna be simple and clean, as it needs to be a dd i dont need 35 boggers, plus i plan to space it out as my budget will allow, i love my jeep but cant live in it so gotta budget for a few other things lol..

and ringin, nice jeep! i wish mine was black =( but green will work lol, hows the ride on a 4'' lift? i was planning on a 6 but dont wanna go that big because i dont need it and think most jeeps look better with smaller lifts and more meatier tires.

anyone have anyidea on how i could run the charger to from my radar detector to the fuse box instead of it needing a socket? and if so would it be better to run it to the inside fuse box or the one in the engine compartment? totall noob here i know how to drive and various things but electrical aint my cup of tea

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
yeah lol my build is gonna be simple and clean, as it needs to be a dd i dont need 35 boggers, plus i plan to space it out as my budget will allow, i love my jeep but cant live in it so gotta budget for a few other things lol..

and ringin, nice jeep! i wish mine was black =( but green will work lol, hows the ride on a 4'' lift? i was planning on a 6 but dont wanna go that big because i dont need it and think most jeeps look better with smaller lifts and more meatier tires.

anyone have anyidea on how i could run the charger to from my radar detector to the fuse box instead of it needing a socket? and if so would it be better to run it to the inside fuse box or the one in the engine compartment? totall noob here i know how to drive and various things but electrical aint my cup of tea

Mine is actually blue. I did the underside with the spray-on bedliner crud...it runs just fine on the 4" lift. My own piece of advise as far as your radar detector is concerned...it's the absolute cheapest and safest thing you can do...

...picth the detector and don't speed! :sombrero:

You will absolutely notice the improvement in your fuel economy by not taking your rig up to 75 mph or higher.

Mr Nice Guy

Mine is actually blue. I did the underside with the spray-on bedliner crud...it runs just fine on the 4" lift. My own piece of advise as far as your radar detector is concerned...it's the absolute cheapest and safest thing you can do...

...picth the detector and don't speed! :sombrero:

You will absolutely notice the improvement in your fuel economy by not taking your rig up to 75 mph or higher.

i hardly do, but actually have a trip to florda planned this june and want it for that added security lol, there really arnt many places to speed around where im at

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12