Project update Feb 2010

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Greetings. Just wanted to share an update on my camper project - it's about 80% complete (if complete is possible). I hope to share more detail/pics after completion in the next month or so.

As some of you are aware I lost my wife in a bicycle accident in June '08. This happened in the middle of the camper project, which completely stopped for the next year and a half. My original intent was to completely fabricate the camper myself while my wife pitched in any way she could to help free me up to work. Last fall I decide to re-start the project but I realized I no longer had the wherewithal (practically and emotionally) to do it on my own. With the aluminum subframe finished and nearly all the design work complete, I decided to seek help fabricating the removable camper and get it done before Christmas to go to Baja (yeah right). I focused on fabricating everything below the camper, including the removable bumper/gen-mount, battery mounts, integrated storage boxes, grey-water tank mount, fresh-water tank.

The guys I worked with on fabricated the camper were a good match for me. I am a detailed drawing kind of guy and they are back of a napkin kind of guys, so it was a good balance for making sure it got done fast but accurately. I gave them camper design drawings concerning size, layout, features, and then I left the details of cabinets, cushions, counters, etc to them.

The camper was designed to be removable, with the batteries, propane, generator, water, storage compartments all independent of the camper. I tried to keep as much of the heavy stuff low and mounted directly on the truck frame as possible. The rear angled out portion is where the bed is. Under the bed is a large pass-thru storage compartment. I decided to go all propane because I wanted a generator but didn't want the weight and cost of a diesel gen. I'm converting the Yamaha to propane – it weighs 80lbs full and puts out a steady 2500W. My propane tank holds 20 gal.

The intent of this design was to use the flatbed for other recreational uses and still have water, power and storage. The design came together pretty well.
My original goal was about 11,000lbs. I weighed the rig with half a tank of diesel, 50 gal of water (400lbs), and about 250lbs of tools and stuff. It came in at 11,200lbs – so right on target. Since I started my project there has been some issues raised with some rigs using 3pt designs, so I decided to relocate my air springs to a better location to help support the camper load at the pivot point. I can add more air springs to further distribute the load on the frame, but I don't believe it's necessary. I use large high capacity rubber shock/vibe mounts for my pivot. The camper weighs approximately 3500lbs which is support by the 400lb subframe.
The rear axle supports 60% of the load. The frame sits level with the stock leaf springs.

Ok, now back to work . . . .

Attachments

• SRover_pic_.JPG
    SRover_pic_.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 3,653
  • SRover_pic_2.JPG
    SRover_pic_2.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 432
  • SRover_pic_3.JPG
    SRover_pic_3.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 443
  • SRover_pic_4.JPG
    SRover_pic_4.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Man, that beast is nothing short of epic. Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife, I am sure she is looking down smiling at all you have accomplished.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Looks good!

I admit that I've been lax. I've seen it sitting in your driveway and just hadn't gotten to stopping by or dropping you a note. Can I get a tour this weekend?

DzlToy

Explorer
absolutely bad *** man, love it...

might paint the doors and access panels to match the lower gray section just for aesthetics, but not much else really.

What wheels and tires are those, they fit perfect on that rig.

Interior pics?

Cheers

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Interior Pics

Looks good!

I admit that I've been lax. I've seen it sitting in your driveway and just hadn't gotten to stopping by or dropping you a note. Can I get a tour this weekend?

Any time Thom - working from home today and home most of the weekend.

Here are some interior pictures. It was used as a makeshift office this morning when my cleaning lady kicked me and one of my engineers out of the house. The sliding window in the front is offset so that the opening is centered. I hope to modify the truck with a sliding window so there is a pass-thru which can be closed when the camper is off.

Attachments

• SRover_pic_7.JPG
    SRover_pic_7.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 338
  • SRover_pic_8.JPG
    SRover_pic_8.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 297
  • SRover_pic_11.JPG
    SRover_pic_11.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 266
  • SRover_pic_6.JPG
    SRover_pic_6.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 284
  • SRover_pic_5.JPG
    SRover_pic_5.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 274
  • SRover_pic_10.JPG
    SRover_pic_10.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 261
  • SRover_pic_9.JPG
    SRover_pic_9.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 294

doubleb

Observer
Brent -

I believe I saw your rig last weekend in Mosier, Oregon at my favorite restaurant the Good River. I was eating breakfast there and asked around as to whos it was to no avail. And here you are on ExPo, small world! I wanted to talk because I plan on building a Fuso camper as well. I was wondering about your SRW conversion, how much did it cost and who did you go through?

Cheers,
Brian

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Mosier

Ha!
Yeah that was me having breakfast at one of my favorite spots. My mom and sister live in Hood River. I nearly bought a piece of property in Mosier 5 years ago (d'oh d'oh d'oh).

I got the wheels at Stockton Wheels. You can probably seach the site for Shockton Wheels and find a lot info (mine is over 1 year) or you can send me a PM and I'll dig up the info.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Very nice indeed. Have you posted pictures of your pivot mounts in the past? Do they support the aluminum frame under the camper?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Brent, Congrats. You should be very proud of that.

BTW My boss said to say "Gidday" next time I spoke to you. Showed him your pics over lunch.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Very nice indeed. Have you posted pictures of your pivot mounts in the past? Do they support the aluminum frame under the camper?

Kerry, the pivot mount is designed around the rubber Barry Mounts - http://www.aektechnology.com/bcdi/bonded/pdf/22000 Series.pdf
I originally found the product by way of Rob Grey's build. http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot2/diaries/diary_06/index.php

The ones I used are rated at 1330lbs and you can buy them at McMaster Carr for $10. I have three at the rear pivot and two on each side in the front. I used custom plates to hold and capture the mounts, which adds a lot side load capacity. I hope they reduce the shock/vibe stress to both the subframe and the truck frame.

Attachments

• IMG_8965.JPG
    IMG_8965.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_8981_.JPG
    IMG_8981_.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

The Lone Wolf

Nice setup. You got to love the turn radius on that FG huh? it could out turn a car lol ive seen it. Sorry to hear about your wife.

justduck

Observer
Kerry, the pivot mount is designed around the rubber Barry Mounts - http://www.aektechnology.com/bcdi/bonded/pdf/22000 Series.pdf
I originally found the product by way of Rob Grey's build. http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot2/diaries/diary_06/index.php

The ones I used are rated at 1330lbs and you can buy them at McMaster Carr for $10. I have three at the rear pivot and two on each side in the front. I used custom plates to hold and capture the mounts, which adds a lot side load capacity. I hope they reduce the shock/vibe stress to both the subframe and the truck frame.

Nice build. Can you post more pics of the mount system? The black paint makes it difficult to see how it is constructed, and please tell me what I'm seeing in the second pic.

I'm flying to take delivery of an '07 FG next Thursday and in the meantime re-reading all these build threads for the tenth time.:smiley_drive:

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Nice build. Can you post more pics of the mount system? The black paint makes it difficult to see how it is constructed, and please tell me what I'm seeing in the second pic.

I'm flying to take delivery of an '07 FG next Thursday and in the meantime re-reading all these build threads for the tenth time.:smiley_drive:

The black in the picture is a bench top. I attached a cross-section of the frame design with the Barry Mounts assembled (not showing the large washers and bolts). Another picture of the welded parts that make the pivot. Check Rob Grey's site for an excellent approach and illustration to using these mounts.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably put the pivot in the front.

Attachments

• CrossSect_pivot.JPG
    CrossSect_pivot.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8978.JPG
    IMG_8978.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 124

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle