Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

Apologies to ask again but will the 17” BMW wheels fit with the NAS V8 brakes? The AULRO thread said direct bolt-ons but believe some of those guys have the SCV8, the brakes of which I’m unsure about. Can’t wait to see a photo of them mounted on the vehicle

Negative! NO 17" wheels will fit any Disco 3/4 without brake modification.

Ray_G

Explorer
FWIW I have the LR3 specific Gorilla lug nuts and have had no issues with them after a few years of usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know...I am pretty sure I had a set on a previous vehicle with no problems either. I do not want chrome nuts though, brass yes, but chrome no! hahaha

All seriousness, I was just sharing my research on issues the Aussie crew expressed. I am in search of a black set or silver set online now and hope to find the same ones they used in different color to save me some time.

Ray_G

Explorer
Loved the post; great info to have for the community. As a minor add on I believe the wheels in question are the BMW style #130 (I’m not a BMW guy but noticed sometimes they lapse into the numbers as a way to identify much in the way folks with RRC/Discos/Defenders use tornado, hurricane, freestyle, etc

Loved the post; great info to have for the community. As a minor add on I believe the wheels in question are the BMW style #130 (I’m not a BMW guy but noticed sometimes they lapse into the numbers as a way to identify much in the way folks with RRC/Discos/Defenders use tornado, hurricane, freestyle, etc

I think I read the same thing. I know it's this style (I have) and there is a five spoke E53 version that was only on for a year or so, I think! Are your Gorilla lugs chrome? I think shiny when I hear chrome, but that is not necessarily the case with lugs as they can just have a sheen to them. Silly question, but apparently these specs only in come in bling on every manufacturers website! lol

I ended up ordering from Brandsport the exact lugs those Aussie dudes were importing. They are out of Oregon so I expect them to be here sometime next week; although I'm going to be gone on Tuesday so..........we all might be waiting a tad for the next step.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
My nuts are black. Which is better than blue I suppose, or rather chrome.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Blasting and coating makes sense but in the short term the silicone caps are a decent way to change the color, protect the chrome, etc. (I used these till I went Gorilla. Adequate, and the price is right: Car Wheel Lug Nut Bolt Cover Silicone Dust Protective Caps Hayodo Brand 20pcs (19mm, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M59J248/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9n1uBbFVK6MQC)

Hey guys, I have been using without issue a set of Gorilla nuts several yrs now in black.

Also, using ghe bmw style number is what you need to do to be sure you're always referring to correct wheel. I have had 3 BMW cars ;)

Check this for easy reference: http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

Jwestpro

Explorer
I think I read the same thing. I know it's this style (I have) and there is a five spoke E53 version that was only on for a year or so, I think! Are your Gorilla lugs chrome? I think shiny when I hear chrome, but that is not necessarily the case with lugs as they can just have a sheen to them. Silly question, but apparently these specs only in come in bling on every manufacturers website! lol

I ended up ordering from Brandsport the exact lugs those Aussie dudes were importing. They are out of Oregon so I expect them to be here sometime next week; although I'm going to be gone on Tuesday so..........we all might be waiting a tad for the next step.

I would call the 130 a 5 spoke, it has 5 pairs and is 7.5x17. See the link above

Jwestpro

Explorer
and from "getbmwparts"
  • SKU: 36-11-6-761-929
  • Other Names: Light Alloy Rim 36907111
  • Description:
    TYPE 9, STYLE 130, 7.5X17

Jwestpro

Explorer
Honestly, I'd just stick to sourcing LR 17's or get a steel put together by whoever is doing that 18" steel one for the aftermarket resellers.

Given the info provided, the style we are looking for is: BMW X5 E53 Styling 130 Wheels.

Thanks for the posts. I’ll probably just paint them after they get get nicked up a bit from the impact. They are trail wheels anyway so I’m not too concerned on looks, just prefer not to have chrome.

@Abran I have a set of those as well as factory. Problem is with the wheel thickness, the Aussie guys say a different lug is required so I bought a different sent for the X5 E53 Styling 130 Wheels. I’ll report back on what the fit Check says when I get back from San Jose next week.

@Jwestpro good link. So we shall forever call them BMW X5 E53 Styling 130 Wheels. Wish that page has the load rating and not just how much the wheel weighs though. I did find another conversation on a VW forum that says they are rated over 1000kg but BMW doesn’t stamp their Wheels so nobody really knows outside of what the vehicle is rated at. Hmmmmm

Honestly, I'd just stick to sourcing LR 17's or get a steel put together by whoever is doing that 18" steel one for the aftermarket resellers.

I would agree with sourcing LR 17" as a first priority for sure over anything else. 18" do not meet my desired goals or needs. The option is to find an aftermarket BMW X5 E53 wheel with the correct load rating confirmed and meets OEM Styling 130 profile. I did find another guy with a set of X5 wheels on his D4 TDV6, so apparently 17" will fit a D4 if the owner is willing to work the brakes mods too! First of the D4 kind I found running 17" wheels. He ran his 17" BMWs for two years and 40k miles. The other guy is over 100k on his BMW wheels with no issues.

It's a slippery slope for sure so my research will keep on keeping on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle