Project: Waltzing Matilda

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I like the square Pivot Kings. I'm simple when building stuff and square is easier. I can't really see what cap system they use. The Summit Machine caps look cool and durable for keeping crap out.
Chas

Air filter conversion

Hey 24!
Don't mean to hack your thread, but I saw "somewhere" where you put the newer AIS type filter in your truck. If I remember right, you told us who you ordered it from, who to ask for & everything! But I can't seem to find it. Anyway you could provide me with that? I have Matilda's long-legged cousin and would like to do the same filter on mine.

2000 F250, LB, XCAB, 4X4, 7.3 & A 6SPD= (not for the clutch challenged:)..ha

Any info would be appreciated.
Hillbilly

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Hey 24!
Don't mean to hack your thread, but I saw "somewhere" where you put the newer AIS type filter in your truck. If I remember right, you told us who you ordered it from, who to ask for & everything! But I can't seem to find it. Anyway you could provide me with that?

HCH, here you go. It was on page seven.

I used a vendor on another forum that offers a nice discount. Contact Gene at Tousley Ford in Minnesota. It was cheaper to use him even with shipping than my local Ford dealer would do, by quite a bit.

Gene (800) 328-9552

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I also came across this intake while searching for a VW part. If I wasn't so pleased with the AIS system, I would buy this in a heart beat. Unique Metal Products (UMP) has been making high quality items for the off road racing industry for years. The aluminum construction would also make it very easy to weld an attachment for a snorkel, if one chose to do so. They also make one for the Cummins and D-Max engines.

http://www.uniquemetalproducts.com/fordtruckins.jpg

tacr2man

Adventurer
Just been reading this thread , as although i drive a defender , I have driven and used a couple of f series in Australia ( One was a f250 tow truck I owned the other was a ambulance that I had occassion to drive when needed)
To get to the point you mention that you find the clutch a bit heavy for constant use . A mod i fitted to some other 4x4s in my time was a inline booster like on the brakes . The unit that was favourite is the remote inline booster used on the old style mini and mgb sports car They just require plumbing into the pipe from the m/cyl to slave cylinder and a vac hose connecting (usually "T" into the brake servo hose ) The end result is a clutch pedal that you can push down with your fingers . HTSH

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Really enjoying this truck, especially the 6-speed approach. Thanks for the updates

Thanks guys.

The 6 speed and lever operated t-case were big reasons why I chose this specific truck. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. The updates have been slow, I tweaked my ankle/ foot pretty good in January and now it looks like I'm heading for surgery. The real bummer is that the ankle injury made us have to cancel the Feb. Baja trip. It's like Warren Miller's quote about helicopter skiing; "If you don't do it this year, you'll only be one year older when you do, do it."

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
The real bummer is that the ankle injury made us have to cancel the Feb. Baja trip. It's like Warren Miller's quote about helicopter skiing; "If you don't do it this year, you'll only be one year older when you do, do it."

Bummer about your foot buddy :(

Good quote!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
We're still waiting for the bumper...........
Chas

Alright Chas, just for you. The black Chevy is owned by a very talented fab guy named Ryan. He's on Pirate, but I don't know about ExPo. He modeled his bumper using the white Hawaiian Tropic truck as inspiration.

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

We have made a few changes that I feel would be better suited for my needs. I'm still keeping the two separate swing outs, however behind the spare tire I'm adding a fold down table that will support our three burner Partner stove instead of the air tank and fuel can on Ryan's truck. I think it will keep the spare closer to the truck and reduce weight on the swing out carrier. This is a copy of the Expeditions West/ Trail Monkey/ Mhiscox Tacoma.

Mrs. Trail Monkey
IMG_3289-1.jpg

Another area that I need to change is the way the spare tire is mounted to the swing out. I will go with a more standard mounting method that will allow you to bolt and secure the spare on with locking lug nuts that match the truck.

As far as the driver side of the swing out, I think I will go with a flat base and possibly a modular basket like my old 4x4labs bumper. I like the two can carrier for fuel and water, but I also think I would like the idea of bolting a Pelican case to it for exterior storage. The jury is out on that one.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Just been reading this thread , as although i drive a defender , I have driven and used a couple of f series in Australia ( One was a f250 tow truck I owned the other was a ambulance that I had occassion to drive when needed)
To get to the point you mention that you find the clutch a bit heavy for constant use . A mod i fitted to some other 4x4s in my time was a inline booster like on the brakes . The unit that was favourite is the remote inline booster used on the old style mini and mgb sports car They just require plumbing into the pipe from the m/cyl to slave cylinder and a vac hose connecting (usually "T" into the brake servo hose ) The end result is a clutch pedal that you can push down with your fingers . HTSH

That's very interesting thank you. I've gotten used to the clutch, but I'm sure the wife would really appreciate that mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger