Project: Waltzing Matilda

Stoney126

Adventurer
Nevada I would love to hear your thoughts on the AIS once it installed. Waiting to pull the trigger on that one myself. Where Did you pick yours up at?

thetonka

Observer
Nevada I would love to hear your thoughts on the AIS once it installed. Waiting to pull the trigger on that one myself. Where Did you pick yours up at?

I've been running the AIS intake on my 2001 for 8 years and over 100,000 miles. Works great, never had a problem.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
How's this for customer service... I contacted Gene (@ Tousley Ford today) today about the broken AIS.

Without missing a beat, he stated he would ship out a replacement AIS kit, today with a return label inside it. Keep the new one and send the broken one back with the provided return label. :Wow1:

Customer service like this is rare today. This is how business' should be run, but unfortunately it's not.

To say that I'm impressed would be putting it mildly.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
What, no sketches of the rear bumper? December is a long way off.
Chas

I'll see what my crayola's come up with, but in broad strokes, it will be metal. Probably black. Might have a swing out tire carrier. Might have a can carrier opposite the tire. Might, well you get the picture.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I finally had some time to install the OEM, AIS system. However, before I go into detail allow me to digress.

One aspect that I really enjoy with the Land Cruiser world is the amount of information, technical support and world wide vendors that are available to you. With support like "Ih8Mud, CruiserDan/Beno, and Dave S. @Japan 4x" one can easily kit his Cruiser with OEM parts that were not available to the U.S. domestic market.

It was nothing to have new OEM parts shipped from Japan and Australia to complete builds such as the aux. tank install. Complete with your choice of overhead console along with a choice of different factory gauges/options. It's really hard to argue with the fit, quality, design and engineering of OEM parts. Couple that with the amount of technical support available to Land Cruiser owners and it's a winning combination.

And now back to the world of Ford Super Duty trucks. The online support seems to be lacking when compared to other platforms. The info is out there, but I'm finding that you have to really dig for it vs. having a stand out source like I'm used to. It could just be me and my inability at finding the right "One." The perfect illustration is the Ford/Motorcraft AIS filter. I was able to find very little information regarding this system online. Most pics featured a thumbnail pic of the kit at best.

This kit is a complete kit, featuring a Donaldson filter element, battery tray, filter minder, filter housing, battery blanket, temperature sensor and OEM fasteners. Did I mention that its OEM and outflows the competition (From everything I have been able to find online).

The install took just under an hour, using common hand tools.

This is the stock air filter/battery box.
IMG_4000.jpg

After removing four screws, an intake snorkel and a hose clamp, this is what is left of the stock system.
IMG_4003.jpg

And a big hole.
IMG_4004.jpg

The new AIS kit.
IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

Thick bulb seal.
IMG_4012.jpg

Element close up.
IMG_4010.jpg

New Hardware provided with the kit.

IMG_4013.jpg

Spring clip in one of the existing factory holes.
IMG_4014.jpg

Filter housing and new intake snorkel to grill. Be sure to fit the snorkel to the housing BEFORE placing the assembly in the engine bay.

This is also a good time to check and see if your upper radiator hose goes around your serpentine belt, or through it. If it is routed inside the belt, you won't be able to service it in the field without removing the belt.

IMG_4018.jpg

Provided battery blanket.
IMG_4019.jpg

VOIL`A
IMG_4020.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
And to prove that we have used the FWC...

Here's a picture of my son during dinner, home made "No Beans" Chili. We were up outside of the Black Rock range in the northern part of the state. This was about the fifth attempt at getting the light and shadows close to how I wanted it. This is what you get when you tell a pre-teen to not smile "Goofy."

IMG_3944.jpg

The FWC is turning out to be pretty ideal for us. A heater of some sort is necessary for cold weather camping. I purchased a Mr. heater to use and was glad we had it. The temps got down to the high 20's, low 30's. On low, it heats the FWC quickly and will easily heat you out of the camper. After talking to LowCrwln (Jack) he mentioned that there only seems to be a few degrees difference between the inside and outside temps. After last weekend, I believe him.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great write up J.

Don't worry, I didn't do my fender sleeve right away and as you know, taking the AIS in or out is pretty easy, so it's not a big deal. You will find that a couple of times of revving the motor up to the 3k range will pull the filter minder in until you add the FS.

Jack

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice set up! I am just in the process of maybe trading my 80 series for a Cummins truck. I can't wait to have a pick-up and diesel power again, not to mention a manual trans! (I will skip the required rant on why Toyota should bring the 70 series utes with D4D to N.A.). Does your wife know her good dish towels are getting greasy???:sombrero:

Now I gotta go shop for a FWC...

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Nice set up! I am just in the process of maybe trading my 80 series for a Cummins truck. I can't wait to have a pick-up and diesel power again, not to mention a manual trans! (I will skip the required rant on why Toyota should bring the 70 series utes with D4D to N.A.). Does your wife know her good dish towels are getting greasy???:sombrero:

Now I gotta go shop for a FWC...

Thanks. There's no doubt the 80 series is an awesome platform. I do miss mine every once in awhile.

Like everybody else, I just wanted a solid axle, manual, diesel and I didn't want to deal with the Urea injection crap of the newer rigs. It's pretty "Vanilla" in every way, with the exception of the stick, diesel and solid axle. Which when I write that out, makes it even more "Vanilla". Aren't those the basic, no frills features...

I dig it. The more I'm in it, the more I like it.

Have you checked out the Wanderthewest forum? They have a few threads for used FWC's. Those guys stay pretty up to date on listings in the for sale thread. That's how I found mine.

Yes, the wife knows about the dish towels. I was actually the one that flipped out over that. apparently, somewhere, it's written that you must cycle through dish towels with seasons and dishes. Without a doubt, I can say I have the nicest set of shop towels and car wash towels in the neighborhood. I sigh every time I grab one.

Here's a pic on the 255/85's.
photo-1-1.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
After looking at the list of items from "Phase One" all that is left to do is:

Tint the windows, Line X or Rhino Line the rockers and the coolant flush. I have the coolant from Cat. and I'm waiting on a new coolant recovery tank and a coolant filter.

This brings me to the rear bumper.

I have started gathering parts for the rear bumper. I have had a rear bumper from Luke P. @ 4x4labs and I loved his spindles. They are massive and they can be sourced with or without a built in slide stop. What I did not love about them was the fact that the bearing cap would fall off easily. The cap would also dent easily if you applied a little energy to it, resulting in an unsightly dented dome.

4X4Labs Spindle kit

I've always liked the way Christo (Slee Offroad) has finished off his spindles with a functional, but elegant aluminum threaded cap.

in 2004, Summit Machine in Utah made me some custom knobs for my Atlas T-case and now they are offering a spindle kit as well. I've sent them an e-mail inquiring about a custom touch to their spindle caps, but I have not heard back yet. I like the finished look of their kit.

Summit Machine

I local machinist makes a spindle out of square tube. I have no experience with the design, other than messing around with a prototype for about five minutes. If he would be willing to machine a square bearing cover that would fit securely I would be interested.

Pivot King

I like the Pivot King, as does a friend of mine. The ability to weld on a bigger swing arm is appealing.

What are your thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman