Project Woodsmen 1990 MJ

Waytec

Adventurer
This is going to be a build thread of rebuilding the truck and then Overlanding build it. In the end hopefully I will be able to park it beside Mario's and not have his lift its rear wheel to it.

I got this truck off a buddy a couple years ago. after he pulled it out a farmer's field. he had it running and driving but it keep acting up. I got it and ended up changing out the main computer and worked great ever since. the engine is getting worn so a rebuild of it is required before taking it to the arctic circle.
the day I brought her home.:safari-rig:
Jan122010001.jpg

Jan122010006.jpg

I picked up a parts truck for the box and other goodies. Now here is where the brake came in. The misses and I decided to buy a house. so I sold all the parts the parts truck and the actual truck. now my other buddy purchased the truck from me and once he got it home, his misses started looking at it and thinking. She did not want him to have it, "money pit" were words used. So it came back and my misses said keep it and fix it up. I LOVE HER SO MUCH.
kissing.gif

I keep the cap off of the 88 parts truck I got. One day it will have a Flip Pack. ( so guys please keep the MJ mould for some time. I am coming for it but it is going to be a bit to get there )
Nov82010002.jpg

I guy I know in Calgary has a 92 MJ that he got off the lot in 92. it was the dealers show room modal so it had every MJ accessory you could get, including a actual Comanche Bush Guard. To what I have been told the XJ guards where much cheaper and looked better so most would get the Cherokee guard instead. so in the end not many are around.
Nov2010008.jpg

Nov82010010.jpg

The truck came with a serca 1990 aftermarket tape deck. I have drove it for the last 2 years with it but finally had enough when the display went. So out with the old in with the new. i just got a cheep one for now and when I upgrade the hole sound system I will add something fencer.
July172011008.jpg

the old bumper has had better days and the guys over at Comanche Club are saying that I will have better luck finding a pot of gold then a mint bumper in Canada. so it will get something custom built here shortly.
Jan122010003.jpg

Off it came
July172011010.jpg

I also have all the bolts and everything on the underside off except for a couple main mounting bolts and the fuel tank straps. I need to get a can of penetrating fluid tomorrow and spray them a couple times before removing.
Next step is to get the box off clean and paint the x frame, get the parts truck home and box off of it and onto this unit.

Last edited:

Waytec

Adventurer
Trust me they were not removed buy chose. they literally rotted off. they one was there when I left work and once I got home only the bas was theft. the other one fell apart when I removed it. they would look good on the front bush guard.

Flingshot you should have that as a build here as well.

I also forgot that I will be turning the "not so good" box on it now into a trailer.

Last edited:

Waytec

Adventurer
Some slow but steady progress. Summer has been just so busy.
I removed the box and traded the frame to POR 15.
Aug2120011017.jpg

I got my parts truck home and dismantled. the new front panels are on this truck.
Aug2120011026.jpg

I had an issue with the inner fenders pulled off the week *** nuts that are all rusted up. after some thinking the light build went off and this is what I came up with.
Aug2120011023.jpg

They are just push on with some teeth that hold them in place I can cut them off needed later.
Aug2120011020.jpg

well I have been having trouble with my hood release. The cable is seizing up. I have lubed and freed it up a couple times so instead of changing or fighting with it agene I went with a $10 option.
Aug2120011027.jpg

Aug2120011025.jpg

Waytec

Adventurer
I got the new box off the parts truck and on this one. I treated the underside to POR 15 and the top of the fuel tank because it was covered in surface rust and allot of road dirt sits up there.

Sept052011001.jpg

Sept052011002.jpg

next order of business was a new rear bumper and it is hit proof, bomb proof, and zombie proof.

I dont have a plasma cuter and nor the greatest at welding I called up a buddy Dana that has mad skills. Dana working on it.

Sept052011008.jpg

Sept052011009.jpg

To make it zombie proof we put lots of support.
Sept052011010.jpg

Sept052011015.jpg

To get around the shape of the frame, we cut up the old stock mounts and used them as spacers to get the right spacing. the mounts started as 6" 3/16 flat bar and it then was cut into shape buy keep cutting until it fit. I used a piece of 5x2 3/16wall
More POR 15. this stuff lays down so nice it look like the bumper was powder coated.

Sept052011017.jpg

the only issue is my dumb *** didn't measure right and took some numbers from the sites saying the bumper is to be 60 inches long. outside edge to outside edge of the MJ is about 64 to 66 inches. so it is a little on the inside of the sheet medal but I am ok with this because I can do some pipe bending later make something if I want to.

All mounted up.
Sept052011023.jpg

Sept052011022.jpg

Sept052011025.jpg

Next Rack on Toper for Canoe.

Waytec

Adventurer
That why I like medal over wood. very easy to add more medal if it is too short. a lot of work to add to wood.

Waytec

Adventurer
Thank You I think. Personally I hate Christmas. I love the idea of Christmas and the historic ways of doing things. Now the greed has taken over and it is all about spending money. Even family drive me nuts. have to go to 200 places on 4 days and if you didn't make it or didn't stay long enough the person is insulted. that is why I like being almost 4000Km away from the main family. Christmas day I get up late enjoy myself with the misses and relax.

Waytec

Adventurer
I am not 100% sure what to do with the exsust. leave it or cut it off start with a small down pipe.
what do you guys think

postalWagon

Adventurer
small down pipe

After having, an losing, an MJ; I found a small down pipe was the easiest to install. The only down side is th extra noise. Have fun with the build.

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--
Nice MJ.

On a side note, make sure to put an overcoat on any POR15 exposed to sunlight. POR15 is not UV stable.

Waytec

Adventurer
Thanks, I just wish I had the money to do more at a time. but one day it will be there.

I have been told that but also have seen some bumpers painted with it and unless you put fresh paint beside it you can't tell its faded. I might just spray bomb it black as a just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears