Propane 20lb or 5lb, or.. what?

alosix

Expedition Leader
I could ask the diff, but I guess most would say '15lbs'.

I'm getting tired of the little 1lb bottles and need to carry a more bulk container.

I seem to go through 2-3 1lbs bottles a trip powering a camp stove, grill, and a zodi shower.

Is a 5lb worth the trouble? Is finding the space for a 20lb on a M101 trailer worth the extra time?

Thoughts?

Jason

Explorer
5lb's is probably not enough and 20lbs is too much. There is the 10 or 11lb option that is just right :)

I have the tall skinny 11lb tank that is straight walled so it packs well without wasting space.

The extra volume over the 5lbs is worth it in case you want to camp longer or use a heater to extend your camping season.

You can get steel, aluminum or fiberglass and they become expensive in that order. Many places will have 10 or 11lb skinny tanks so you can avoid shipping. Places that sell and deliver propane should certainly.

Explorer
Its not much more expensive than a steel one actually, plus you can securely mount it and not have to undo it to check the level. Winner!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I prefer the "20" pounder. Its actually only 16.1 pounds, but people call it a 20 pound cylinder. The same one we all use on our bbq grills. The main reasons I use this over the smaller ones? They last a LONG time, and you can find them ANYWHERE without having to find a place that will fill that fancy little cylinder that you specially order. Most gas stations, Wal-marts, Home improvement stores etc around here swap them out for a decent rate, which means I can get propane 24-7 if need be. They arent that much bigger in terms of space either...

DSCN1570.jpg

~James

chief5

I agree with the ability to "trade" cylinders. 20 lb. tanks are availble everywhere, fill stations are sometimes hard to find and have limited operating hours.

I read an article some time ago relating to the efficiency of an appliance based on the size of the tank. It seems the larger the tank, the more space becomes availble for liquid propane to convert to vapor. 20 - 1 pound tanks do not equal 1 -20 pound tank. The larger tank will significantly outlast an smaller tanks equalling the same volume. If you read the instructions on a propane ventless wall heater it requires a 20 lb. (and sometimes 100 lb.) tanks. This is because a smaller tank cannot produce the amount of propane vapor needed to power this appliance. The same would be true of multiple small appliances operating at the same time.

I hope this helps. Good Luck, Lorn.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a pair of Manchester 10# tanks.

Like Stumpy said, it's easier to swap a 20 than fill a 10. But the 10 packs so much better. And my trailer came with the mounts...

100_3142.jpg

James86004

Expedition Leader
We recently purchased 2 of the 5 lb ones, mainly because they are the only ones that fit in the racks that came on the Dormobile. On our recent DV trip, we camped 5 nights, cooking every night and most breakfasts. One cylinder ran the stove, the other the heater, and we did not run out of either. I will have to see how full they both are.

If the 10 lbs ones were 2 inches shorter and a little bigger in diameter (like the British ones that were in there), those would have fit.

camp'n_hunt

Observer
ReUse those 1lb cylinders

I fill them back up, it's just nice to be able to grab the lantern and move it without hose's all over. Both Mr. Heater and Camp Chef make the adapter’s, then for safety screw on a brass cap so they can't leak.

When there's snow on the ground I carry 2 x 20lb tanks and 4 x 1lb tanks. The heater can suck down a tank within a couple days if it's in the single digits.

journey

Observer
Ace Hardware stores can get 11lb tanks and you won't have to pay shipping on them. That should make the price for steel tanks lower. They are not listed on the public ACE website but they should still be able to get them from the warehouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78