Protected switches for Toyota cutouts?

smiper

Observer
Has anyone sourced a physically protected switch for the Toyota cutouts? I'm looking for something to stop accidental engagements- my dog rests on the console of my 4runner (not the best idea, but save it for another thread) and frequently engages whatever push button switches are there. I'm looking for something clean looking that will keep her from accidentally blinding highway drivers with my offroad lights. A couple of ideas:

-aircraft style "I'm switching to guns" toggle with a big red flip up- Accomplishes the goal, but isn't clean looking.
-Tube steel protectors- Upside down U shaped bars that sit on either side of the switch. This isn't a bad option, but I don't know if there's enough room on the console for these. Also likely not the sturdiest option, considering how thin the console plastic is.
-Alternate location/switch- I thought about putting those small, surface mount rockers in a little cubby, but I'd prefer to stick with your typical Carling rocker type switch in a spare cutout. If you have a rad alternate idea for a 4th gen 4runner, I'm listening. Using the empty left hand dash space isn't an option, as I plan to have more switches than that space allows.

Thanks for your input!

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I don't have a suggestion, but I loved your reference of "I'm switching to guns" and now want to change my switches to that style. Awesome! Good luck with search!

Edit: what about this style switch used in a Tacoma center console? (Similar area, if I remember correctly). These switches might be too small for a dog to engage.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
Do any modern power window switches fit in that JIS standard cutout? The ones on my Tacoma or Lexus don't, but there may be one in some maker's parts catalog.

The idea here is that for the last fifteen years or so window switches have been required to be "pull to actuate" because there are safety risks associated with being able to step on the switch and catch your neck in the window -- applied to pets and to little children. Probably to grown up idiots, too.

I'd go looking for a "lift" switch for your application. A possible problem could be that most of them are momentary switches, not on-off.

soonenough

Explorer
I recently bought a couple of these 16mm switches from Oznium.com and they would be very difficult for a dog to operate inadvertently. In order to push them, you have to use the very tip of your finger due to the small diameter of the plunger on the switch.

http://www.oznium.com/anti-vandal-led-switch

I also laughed out loud at the "I'm switching to guns" reference, mostly because I instantly knew exactly what you were referring to.

smiper

Observer
Glad you guysliked the Top Gun reference.

Plannerman- Got a pic? I'm not familiar with the Tacoma center console.
4xdog- Great idea, but I'm unaware of any switch that fits that criteria. Maybe setting the rocker switch in a particular direction will accomplish the same thing.
Ramjet- You haven't seen my fab skills.
Soonenough- Those are slick looking. Good contender!

Imay also try one of these older OEM switches to see if they are harder to press. I'm not excited about the amber LED- wanted to have all of my aux lights in blue to match the high beam indicator. I'm particular like that.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/aux-light-switch-for-97.497307/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger