Protecting the rear drums with SRW

Sagestone

Observer
This brings to mind the question of why the Mitsubishi FG 4x4 uses 4 wheel drum brakes while the FE 2wd uses discs. Was this done intentionally for better off road use or was it simply a matter of convenience of utilizing that particular axle configuration? Are drum brakes better for off road use? Drums vs. discs, when exposed to the elements, water, sand, mud? As well as, drums vs discs when making potential contact with rocks and stones?

Gatsma

Adventurer
Mitsubishi might be using an old front axle design for which a disc brake setup had not yet been designed, and figured that for most of the situations the FG would be in, like construction or mining, drums would work just fine. Keep in mind that expedition trucks were not one of the primary functions the designers had in mind for this truck.
The FE, on the other hand, was designed for nothing but on-road use, for which disc brakes are not only desired, but necessary.

Goldanfish

Observer
NPS 300 Rear singles.

On my Isuzu NPS 300
The rear backing plates of the drum brakes take a bit of punishment from the rocks, but after a trip I just get under and straighten up the backing plate return edges with a pair of multi-grips and a screw driver, the drums themselves are quite fine being cast.
My two bobs worth.
John.

moose2367

I think a spare rim mounted could be put to use as a rear winch drum. Easy way to pull yourself out backwards if need be, as long as you have a good mounting point for the cable or rope and keep a couple of wraps on it.

chosen

Observer
I think a spare rim mounted could be put to use as a rear winch drum. Easy way to pull yourself out backwards if need be, as long as you have a good mounting point for the cable or rope and keep a couple of wraps on it.

That's an interesting idea, one I will store in the nether-regions just in case. I guess the big issue would be keeping the cable from causing damage as it pulls taught, that is, if it came in contact with the vehicle's components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998