Provan Siberian Tiger - post here

TomH

Adventurer
I understand all the different types of Tigers and its origins. I only offered my opinion...

Then if you really understand all the different types of Tigers, why did you find it necessary to accuse others of "Tiger Bashing" for offering objective evaluations of the Tiger? It is obvious that you think the Tiger brand is outstanding; I do too. I don't see any "bashing" in this thread. People are just being realistic about what Tigers can and cannot do. You seem not to like that, so you accuse them of "bashing". That is not necessary.

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
… Tiger hasn't made any van based campers in a long time. The van campers they used to make simply do not have the suspension, frame, etc. to handle off road conditions. The ones that do have 4wd benefit from that when there is ice or snow on a paved road. They don't qualify as "expedition campers" because thay can't handle rough roads. You could paint them and put your bright lights on them and they still couldn't handle rough roads. …

For the record, I'm going to disagree with this. My RWD 2005 Tiger GT has done thousands of miles offroad, with pretty much stock suspension (added airbags) and no damage other than a few shredded tires. I did double latch a couple of the cabinets, and a little bracket for the fridge door.

I recently had a discussion with someone on this topic, and I'm sure the GTs can do anything an astrovan can do. Some of the built-out Astros on this site look pretty darn capable to me, although Rubicon worthy? Probably not. Jury is still out on the XLs.

It's an interesting discussion, the B/C debate and how capable the Tigers are, they are definitely hard to classify - even more so now with the new models.

But this thread is about the Siberian Tiger, so let's get back there.

motrhed

Observer
So, what about the Siberian Tiger?
Proven was supposed to be at Overland Expo, did anyone see them?
Has anyone bought one?
I am curious to find out how they compare to other choices in the marketplace.

TomH

Adventurer
Has anyone bought one?

They were there, but not all the days.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Has anyone bought one?

My Brother-in-law is having an all diesel powered Siberian built on a F550. Should be finished late July.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
We checked out the Siberian at the Expo...sadly it was only there on Sunday, which was probably the slowest day in terms of people. Its pretty nice, still the same layout as the smaller Provan versions (why mess with a good thing) but higher end components. In the end, its still just too big of a monster for my personal taste. We are already planning on upgrading to a Bengal when the time comes, which I think is a good compromise on size. However, if you are into something the size of an Earthromer, or Global Expedition Vehicle, I'd take the Siberian into consideration. The price point is good and you just can't beat the Tiger layout IMO.

lqhikers

Adventurer
rear tail lights

as a tiger owner i always read the posts as they come up.
i noticed that suntinez posted a picture of the siberian tiger and saw that the tail lights
are mounted in the bumper,
one of the things i like about the bengal is that the lights are mounted high,which
lets you load things on the rear (such as motorcycle carriers etc) and not block the view.
also it seems that mounted in the bumper leaves them open to being broken just with a little touch
backing or "miss judging" distance.
seems like there is ideal spots on the edges of the coach up higher.

i do wish we had the opening rear window on our bengal.

i like the concept of the new tiger,but do not plan to trade in our bengal for one!.

Les,lqhikers

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
While I agree with you and especially want high mounted backup lights for a big truck, if you look closely at the picture, you will see a hitch receiver mounted above the bumper, specifically for bike carriers, etc.

lqhikers

Adventurer
Diplostrat,

i see the receiver high as you stated,as far as using this to mount motorcycle carrier
from my experience,many years of hauling dual/sport motorcycles i would never use a 1 point mounting system
it would never hold up to extreme use without so many tie downs it would take forever to lash down! and then i would
not trust it, only a 2 point (2 receiver hitches a least 3' feet apart) works for me,i always over build and it has worked for me
so far.

thats what i mean about the tail lights if you have a m.c. mounted it blocks the lights,our bengal the lights still are clear
with m.c. mounted and i still added another set of light bumper level to be safe.

Les,lqhikers

suntinez

Explorer
Siberian pictures from OVX12

lqhikers, I really like how the rear of yours looks with the smaller window and high up tailights. I also like how the Siberian's coach windows can all be opened for a very open feeling.

I just realized I never linked my Siberian pictures anywhere. Here's the one y'all are talking about:

DSC_0935.jpg

And here's the rest. Apologies to my friends ...

As for the Siberian, it's beautiful and some very well thought out changes from other models. I've no idea what its offroad capabilities will be, guess we'll have to wait for more to be produced/tested for that info. But I'd buy a Bengal before I'd buy a Siberian, the size is just more manageable for me.

While in there we made the sofa out into a bed and tested the bathroom access. With door hinged opposite of previous versions I wasn't sure it would work but I fit through fine and probably could get in without waking someone sleeping on the lower bed. Once inside the bathroom, it's massive.

I wonder if there are any on the road now? I haven't heard anything.

cwsqbm

Explorer
I just realized I never linked my Siberian pictures anywhere. Here's the one y'all are talking about:

DSC_0935.jpg

That looks different that the Siberian pics on Tiger's website. Is that one the prototype? Besides the moved tail lights, the other one has a smaller rear hatch that can be accessed without moving the spare tire.

siberian.JPG

suntinez

Explorer
It's the one they brought to OVX12 - not sure which one it is. Quite different from the one you posted, interesting.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The external tire mount is the production model as moving the tire creates a massive, 24 cubic foot enclosed storage space.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Les,

Again, I agree with you, high mount is better.

And I am worse than you; I would never use a hitch mounted carrier(s) (except, perhaps for bicycles) as, in my experience, the leverage on a washboard road will cause either the carrier or the receiver to fail. But then my experience has been Africa and the U.S. simply does not have much washboard in comparison. Lots of folks, like you, seem to be able to use double or triple hitch mounts quite successfully. I suspect that I will use a double hitch mount for a bicycle carrier on our Tiger.

Safe travels!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman