PTO Winch

bulya

Hi, I am currently in the process of converting a former fire truck 1993 Mercedes Benz 814DA T2/Vario and it has PTO which was connected to the water pump. I am looking to utilize PTO system and install a PTO winch.
Can someone recommend manufacturers for PTO winches or a place where I can get a used one? I am located in NJ, USA.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
With it driving directly off the crank, I would drive a hydraulic pump through a simple dog clutch....and then a hydraulic winch.

How did they disconnect power to the crank driven PTO water pump before?

billiebob

Not sure but often a fire truck pto delivers power to the back, I assume your winch is at the front.

PTO driven winches are OK but they are 50 year old designs. Not much flexability, just on/off and since they work off the clutch and you are also engaging the driveline. Plus you need a line of sight connevtion between the PTO and the winch.

PTO winches are the cheapest way to mount a winch when the heavens align.... for all other applications a PTO driving a hydraulic pump is the best option.

ps... in todays world the expense of hydraulic systems will exceed the simplicity and unlimited availability of any electric winch options.

Last edited:

billiebob

Hi, I am currently in the process of converting a former fire truck 1993 Mercedes Benz 814DA T2/Vario and it has PTO which was connected to the water pump. I am looking to utilize PTO system and install a PTO winch.
Can someone recommend manufacturers for PTO winches or a place where I can get a used one? I am located in NJ, USA.
fill out yer profile.... if you live in Botswana there may be other options. Even saying the USA is useless with the differences from North Dakota to Florida...... Telling us where you live will generate much better answers...... adding the location in the last sentence is just lazy.

Fill out yer profile.

PTO winches were/are the industry standard in the oil field industry.... follow those industry auctions for the best buy.

bulya

With it driving directly off the crank, I would drive a hydraulic pump through a simple dog clutch....and then a hydraulic winch.

How did they disconnect power to the crank driven PTO water pump before?
It has a transfer case and PTO attached to transfer case. Cardan drive shaft goes from PTO. Not sure if that answers your question? I'll check the hydraulic pump option

bulya

Also I say go hydraulic too. The variety of winches to choose is substantial. Plus you gain ability for a stiffleg, stabilisers, etc.
Btw, you never did say what type of PTO you have. There are several types common to Firetrucks.
I am not an expert in mechanics. PTO is attached to a transfer case and there is a cardan shaft that goes from PTO to a water pump

bulya

Not sure but often a fire truck pto delivers power to the back, I assume your winch is at the front.

PTO driven winches are OK but they are 50 year old designs. Not much flexability, just on/off and since they work off the clutch and you are also engaging the driveline. Plus you need a line of sight connevtion between the PTO and the winch.

PTO winches are the cheapest way to mount a winch when the heavens align.... for all other applications a PTO driving a hydraulic pump is the best option.

ps... in todays world the expense of hydraulic systems will exceed the simplicity and unlimited availability of any electric winch options.
I think I'll visit few junkyards to see if I can find a decent PTO winch that I would be able to pair up. I don't have a winch as of right now, but I plan to install both at the front and back. If I won't manage to find and mount PTO winch - will go with electrical option.

bulya

fill out yer profile.... if you live in Botswana there may be other options. Even saying the USA is useless with the differences from North Dakota to Florida...... Telling us where you live will generate much better answers...... adding the location in the last sentence is just lazy.

Fill out yer profile.

PTO winches were/are the industry standard in the oil field industry.... follow those industry auctions for the best buy.
Not sure what are you talking about... I posted location in a message so people don't have to bother themselves with looking at a profile and figuring out where I am located...

billiebob

Not sure what are you talking about... I posted location in a message so people don't have to bother themselves with looking at a profile and figuring out where I am located...
I always click on the profile... which when completed answers lots of questions.

ps, PTOs usually just send power one way, not front and back.... the option to send power both ways is awfully expensive.
Hydraulic is expensive too but electric is the industry standard today and pretty reasonable $$$

IMHO: forget electric. The vast majority of very limited input energy goes to heat, not work. Simple arithmetic.
I have currently 3 hydraulic winches on 2 vehicles, had 2 on F350 predecessor of current U500. I designed and put together successfully a front Braden hydraulic on my diesel Dodge M37 with a custom Clark 280VO 5 speed. Of course the U500 was trivial by comparison because it has factory stock hydraulics.
Electric is good for maybe 5-10’. Multiple repeat pulls or a long pull out of a big mudhole or a lot of deep wet snow will turn it into stinky junk without enough battery to restart after you put the fire out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12